Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In my local newspaper a Disciple of Christ minister wrote that Christianity has done a poor job of being Christian. That the world has given Islam a bad rap. He stated that Christians should embrace Islam as fellow brothers and sisters of the faith. He went on talking about how they are misunderstood and attempts to convert them are wrong and create mistrust, hate and division. I know some believe and teach universal salvation in the Disciples of Christ Christian Church, They are very liberal and are in some cases outside of Biblical doctrinal teaching, but they are part of the Restoration Movement. I would Like some thoughts on this issue. What do you think?

Here is mine. I believe as a Christian we should treat Muslims with love, respect and dignity.
However they are not our brothers in Christ, and are lost. There religion is anathema to God. All non-Christian religion are.

Reactions: lismore

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In my local newspaper a Disciple of Christ minister wrote that Christianity has done a poor job of being Christian. That the world has given Islam a bad rap. He stated that Christians should embrace Islam as fellow brothers and sisters of the faith. He went on talking about how they are misunderstood and attempts to convert them are wrong and create mistrust, hate and division. I know some believe and teach universal salvation in the Disciples of Christ Christian Church, They are very liberal and are in some cases outside of Biblical doctrinal teaching, but they are part of the Restoration Movement. I would Like some thoughts on this issue. What do you think?

Here is mine. I believe as a Christian we should treat Muslims with love, respect and dignity.
However they are not our brothers in Christ, and are lost. There religion is anathema to God. All non-Christian religion are.
islam is not misunderstood. I dont agree that all no christian religions are anathema, like the druser faith founded by Jetro the preist for the most high God - moses father in law - some very enlightened buddhist monks who also beleive in jesus without being christians, the melchisedek gentile religion, after order jesus is a high priest....definitly not anathema lol..... the faith abraham followed before he evenw as circumsised, it was ok by God so its ok by me too :D

HOwever, islam in its nature is not a religion, it is a system of invation, a political force using terror as one weapon. Its racist. It allows for slavery, inbreeding, pedophilia, and is very against the death of jesus on the cross, in fact denies it as a satanic deception.

Many many more things makes islam AS unacceptable as nazism, satanistic worship.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟548,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He stated that Christians should embrace Islam as fellow brothers and sisters of the faith.... but they are part of the Restoration Movement.

Wow. Restorationism means restoring Muslims to New Testament Christianity? Weren't they a little late to the party, like by 600 years? You sure you're reading that right?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,148,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I think he's wrong, TD! Islam isn't compatible with the Christian faith, not by a long shot. And

And even though I myself sometimes go beyond the expected ecclesial envelope in asserting ecumenicism, I still think handing this kind inclusiveness over to Muslims in the way he does is a distortion of the fellowship we have with each other and with other people under the Lordship and Identity of Jesus Christ.

Yes, some Disciples of Christ Christian Churches are becoming to too liberal. But, this division is similar to some dividing lines found among our brethren in various other denominations as well and is, I think, a sign of the times in which we live.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Agreed. I do believe it was Jesus who said things like, "love your neighbor as yourself", "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you", and "do good to those who hate you". Their religion does indeed go against Christianity, but doesn't mean that we should hate them, that hate also goes against Christianity!

I don't claim to be an expert at all, but I have studied the culture of Islam in my military career. Most Muslims are like most Christians. They just want to worship their god, do their jobs, and raise their families. While they very different in many ways, the moderate Muslim world has to deal with ISIS/Taliban misrepresenting the majority, the moderate Christian world has to deal with the Westboro Baptist Church doing the same. I'm not at all defending the practice of Islam/the religion, but in general the people aren't evil.

The bottom line though? Love, grace, prayer.

Here is a very interesting article about the love of Christ on the Christian Courier: Syrian refugees find 'second family' in Canadian churches

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟57,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I dont agree that all no christian religions are anathema, like the druser faith founded by Jetro the preist for the most high God - moses father in law - some very enlightened buddhist monks who also beleive in jesus without being christians, the melchisedek gentile religion, after order jesus is a high priest....definitly not anathema lol..... the faith abraham followed before he evenw as circumsised, it was ok by God so its ok by me too :D

I was not talking about any religion before the Cross. I was talking about religions today. Any religion other than Christianity in todays time is unacceptable to God, and leads to the lake of fire of Hell.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟57,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow. Restorationism means restoring Muslims to New Testament Christianity? Weren't they a little late to the party, like by 600 years? You sure you're reading that right?

He made the statement that Muslims believe in Jesus because they see him as a prophet of God like Mohammed.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟57,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think he's wrong, TD! Islam isn't compatible with the Christian faith, not by a long shot. And

And even though I myself sometimes go beyond the expected ecclesial envelope in asserting ecumenicism, I still think handing this kind inclusiveness over to Muslims in the way he does is a distortion of the fellowship we have with each other and with other people under the Lordship and Identity of Jesus Christ.

Yes, some Disciples of Christ Christian Churches are becoming to too liberal. But, this division is similar to some dividing lines found among our brethren in various other denominations as well and is, I think, a sign of the times in which we live.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

F. Lagard Smith a Bible Scholar at Pepperdine University wrote a book about fellowship with Gods people and fellowship with Those who are not God's people. ( Circles of Fellowship ) A wonderful book on how to treat the Lost. We must recognize they are lost and will live a horrible eternal judgment and we must love them while we can before they enter that judgement.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟57,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Ecumenicalism has lost it way in the last few decades. They are part of the problem.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟57,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Agreed. I do believe it was Jesus who said things like, "love your neighbor as yourself", "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you", and "do good to those who hate you". Their religion does indeed go against Christianity, but doesn't mean that we should hate them, that hate also goes against Christianity!

I don't claim to be an expert at all, but I have studied the culture of Islam in my military career. Most Muslims are like most Christians. They just want to worship their god, do their jobs, and raise their families. While they very different in many ways, the moderate Muslim world has to deal with ISIS/Taliban misrepresenting the majority, the moderate Christian world has to deal with the Westboro Baptist Church doing the same. I'm not at all defending the practice of Islam/the religion, but in general the people aren't evil.

The bottom line though? Love, grace, prayer.

Here is a very interesting article about the love of Christ on the Christian Courier: Syrian refugees find 'second family' in Canadian churches

I agree that a large number of Muslims want to live in peace, but even among the moderates they practice barbaric traditions, Moderates treat their woman very badly as well in a lot of ways.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,148,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ecumenicalism has lost it way in the last few decades. They are part of the problem.

Well, yes, but the the type of ecumenicalism I'm vying for is simply one that extends hands to other Christians, not one that extends hands of fellowship to other religions, other than to tell them they 'need Jesus.' :cool:

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟57,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, yes, but the the type of ecumenicalism I'm vying for is simply one that extends hands to other Christians, not one that extends hands of fellowship to other religions, other than to tell them they 'need Jesus.' :cool:

I totally agree, that was the original purpose of ecumenicalism, not to give a hand of approval to all religions.

Upvote 0

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't doubt the opening post but I would be very surprised to hear any preacher of the Restoration Movement, especially one of the Churches of Christ, claim that Islam was an acceptable faith. Churches of Christ preachers generally question whether or not anyone outside the Churches of Christ are Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums