Republicans Reconsider

Which candidate would you choose if you had the original lineup again?

• Still Trump

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Still Cruz

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Still Kasich

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Bush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carson

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Christie

• Fiorina

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Huckabee

• Rubio

• Walker

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Now that the process is well along and the field of candidates has narrowed, it seems like everyone is unhappy. IF you (Republican voters) could somehow go back to when there were seventeen candidates, who would you choose NOW?

Please vote in the poll. You may also post comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: brinny

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,133,077.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MSNBC commentators seem to think that the cross-section of Republicans who are endorsing Cruz are doing so to: 1) stop Trump and 2) get to a brokered convention, so that they can nominate anyone but Cruz.

Scott Walker, for example, said he believed there would be a brokered convention and that the nominee would be neither Cruz, Trump, nor Kasich. He then endorsed Cruz. Hmm...

Or Cruz endorser Lindsay Graham, who said, "If you killed Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial was in the Senate, nobody would convict you." Hmmm...

Cruz' endorsers are lukewarm at best--and why shouldn't they be? Even Republicans can see his views are extremist and dangerous.

There is also talk that many Republicans will jump ship for former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson, who is running as a libertarian. His support is apparently already up to 11%, almost enough to put him on the debate stage when it's time for the general election.

I guess that Cruz will take the endorsements he can while plotting to subvert the lukewarm endorsers' desire to get anyone but him nominated at a brokered convention.

May he fail!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟381,839.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've got to go with the governor and former representative who has a track record of being effective in both offices, John Kasich. Rand Paul had interested me as well.

I really think that the party should limit the amount of nominees to the number that can fit on a debate stage. The liberal wing of the party has been getting their candidates nominated for years because the conservatives have been too spread out.
There is also talk that many Republicans will jump ship for former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson, who is running as a libertarian. His support is apparently already up to 11%, almost enough to put him on the debate stage when it's time for the general election.
Except for his stance on abortion, he's a great candidate. That stance is a deal-breaker, it's too bad he has those views.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Cruz is still the most consistently conservative and Walker isn't far behind. I like Carson a lot too, though I fear he's too gentle and soft-spoken to rise above the muck and mire of modern politics. I really hope that the next president, regardless of who wins, uses him in their cabinet.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Cruz and Trump both have their interesting features. Cruz's unashamed evangelicalism and how it infuriates the Left is quite entertaining, and I like him for it and hope that he is genuine about it. Trump's unashamed Trumpism and how it infuriates the Left is also quite entertaining, and I dearly hope he isn't a fraud. I dearly hope both of them aren't frauds.

I like both of them for how they infuriate the Left. I like pretty much all people who infuriate the Left.

In terms of policy, I don't consider Trump a conservative but his commitment to draw back NATO, not engage in pointless foreign wars, befriend Russia, negotiate better trade deals and stop mass immigration appeal to me a lot. Self-funding his campaign and the whole 'straight-talking' shtick is also pretty good.

Cruz's low tax super-free market system, ending corporate subsidies, is interesting and I'd like to see if it works, but he often disappoints me when he says a lot of quite hawkish statements, and his position on trade deals can sometimes seem contradictory. I was impressed however when he continued to oppose ethanol subsidies when campaigning in Iowa, had a honest chat with a farmer on tape about it and ended up winning the state.

Honestly I don't think I'd consider Ted Cruz a conservative either, his almost ruthless commitment to the free market and neoliberal policies are far too ideological for my liking and not one fitting of a conservative, who does what makes the most sense, not what his ideology dictates.

So Cruz appeals more on the social conservatism, low taxes, more liberty and less surveillance (hopefully) sort of thing, but Trump appeals more on the opposition to mass immigration, foreign wars and unfair trade deals. Cruz also worries me with his donors, and how much he is going to have to owe those donors if he get into office.

All in all, I probably have to hand it to Trump. I say this as a Brit though, whose chief concern is the next President's foreign policy and how it'll affect Britain being dragged into more pointless wars.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟686,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Cruz and Trump both have their interesting features. Cruz's unashamed evangelicalism and how it infuriates the Left is quite entertaining, and I like him for it and hope that he is genuine about it. Trump's unashamed Trumpism and how it infuriates the Left is also quite entertaining, and I dearly hope he isn't a fraud. I dearly hope both of them aren't frauds.

I like both of them for how they infuriate the Left. I like pretty much all people who infuriate the Left.

In terms of policy, I don't consider Trump a conservative but his commitment to draw back NATO, not engage in pointless foreign wars, befriend Russia, negotiate better trade deals and stop mass immigration appeal to me a lot. Self-funding his campaign and the whole 'straight-talking' shtick is also pretty good.

Cruz's low tax super-free market system, ending corporate subsidies, is interesting and I'd like to see if it works, but he often disappoints me when he says a lot of quite hawkish statements, and his position on trade deals can sometimes seem contradictory. I was impressed however when he continued to oppose ethanol subsidies when campaigning in Iowa, had a honest chat with a farmer on tape about it and ended up winning the state.

Honestly I don't think I'd consider Ted Cruz a conservative either, his almost ruthless commitment to the free market and neoliberal policies are far too ideological for my liking and not one fitting of a conservative, who does what makes the most sense, not what his ideology dictates.

So Cruz appeals more on the social conservatism, low taxes, more liberty and less surveillance (hopefully) sort of thing, but Trump appeals more on the opposition to mass immigration, foreign wars and unfair trade deals. Cruz also worries me with his donors, and how much he is going to have to owe those donors if he get into office.

All in all, I probably have to hand it to Trump. I say this as a Brit though, whose chief concern is the next President's foreign policy and how it'll affect Britain being dragged into more pointless wars.
Now, now...Everyone's supposed to dislike Trump ;)

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,133,077.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The final weeks of the Republican primary seem to point to the truth of the adage: Nice guys finish last.

With seventeen candidates to choose from, the remaining states are pretty much left with the choice between a bombastic narcissist and a senator whose Washington colleagues, according to Lindsay Graham, would be hard pressed to convict a Cruz assassin, even if the murder occurred on the Senate floor.

Graham also describes the choice between Trump and Cruz as choosing between being shot and being poisoned.

What happened to the other 15 candidates, at least half of whom were non-toxic?

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The final weeks of the Republican primary seem to point to the truth of the adage: Nice guys finish last.

With seventeen candidates to choose from, the remaining states are pretty much left with the choice between a bombastic narcissist and a senator whose Washington colleagues, according to Lindsay Graham, would be hard pressed to convict a Cruz assassin, even if the murder occurred on the Senate floor.

Graham also describes the choice between Trump and Cruz as choosing between being shot and being poisoned.

The other candidates all looked pretty toxic to me.

Of the last three I dearly hope John Kasich doesn't win, he certainly looks the most toxic of the ones remaining, despite what his golly gee 1950s milkman persona might otherwise suggest.

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/kasich-we-need-to-punch-the-russians-in-the-nose/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczy...an-planes-in-syria-if-they-violate#.oeBknnR3A

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto.../kasich-syria-no-fly-zones-ground-troops.html

"Punch Russia in the nose", arm Ukrainians against Russians, impose a no-fly zone in Syria and shoot down Russian planes, send US ground troops into Syria to fight ISIS.

The ravings of yet another mad interventionist.

Reactions: Imperiuz
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Most of the others were weak, a collection of do-nothing RINOs who have made little effort to push back against Obama. People want someone who will fight, not bow down to every Democrat demand. At least Cruz and Trump will do that.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Well, that was the problem, wasn't it. They were "fighting Obama" but what were they fighting "for?"
tumblr_mh9j1vrrhz1qlr028o6_2501.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Cruz is still the most consistently conservative and Walker isn't far behind. I like Carson a lot too, though I fear he's too gentle and soft-spoken to rise above the muck and mire of modern politics. I really hope that the next president, regardless of who wins, uses him in their cabinet.

I agree with what you said about Carson.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Most of the others were weak, a collection of do-nothing RINOs who have made little effort to push back against Obama. People want someone who will fight, not bow down to every Democrat demand. At least Cruz and Trump will do that.

i agree with you, except what you said about Cruz. LOL!

Upvote 0