Remember when there were real prizes in boxes of cereal? Before that, soap and oatmeal boxes even...

Monastic1952

Dec 26, 2023
Honolulu
✟3,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
@Rescued One -
They are Cracker Jack prizes on one of those old celluloid chains they used to give so you could attach your charms. I found this at a flea market a few years back. Notice the Popeye and the tiny jade elephant. I hope you enjoy the picture. :)

Oops! Hang on. Got to figure out how to post a pic in this new format. :scratch:
Now that You mentioned Cracker Jack, I have a question. I remember having a Cracker Jack prize during the 1960s, a toy submarine. What captivated me about it was that it could both submerge and resurface repeatedly. I vaguely recall that for the sub to do those dual actions that a kind of powder had to be put into it first. Can you verify?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Now that You mentioned Cracker Jack, I have a question. I remember having a Cracker Jack prize during the 1960s, a toy submarine. What captivated me about it was that it could both submerge and resurface repeatedly. I vaguely recall that for the sub to do those dual actions that a kind of powder had to be put into it first. Can you verify?
How cool! I guess no one bought us Cracker Jacks in the sixties. By then we were moving every year and our lives were chaotic.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,736,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I saw one of those in a Cracker Jack collection I was shown. The powder that was used for those was baking powder I think.

Upvote 0

Monastic1952

Dec 26, 2023
Honolulu
✟3,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I think I saw one of those in a Cracker Jack collection I was shown. The powder that was used for those was baking powder I think.
Yes that is correct, it was baking powder, as you said. Thanks for the verification.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes that is correct, it was baking powder, as you said. Thanks for the verification.
My mind says maybe my brother tried that. But my mother wouldn't have tolerated it as an ongoing adventure.

Upvote 0