Remember when there were real prizes in boxes of cereal? Before that, soap and oatmeal boxes even...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,734,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...came with cups and dishes inside

Remember digging through that cereal box to find the prize at the bottom? Manufacturers and retailers learned long ago that offering free items (called advertising premiums) attracted customers and created brand loyalty. Advertising premiums date back to the late 1700s but became much more popular in the 1900s. Did your grandmother collect an entire set of dishes just by purchasing boxes of oatmeal or soap? We’ve scoured our archives to find fun examples of advertising premiums over the decades.

Kellogg’s was the first cereal to offer an advertising premium when they introduced the Funny Jungleland Moving Picture Book in 1910. Customers could mail in two packages of Corn Flakes and get the book for free.

Beginning in the 1920s, Quaker’s Mother’s Oats ran an advertising campaign where each package of oats contained a piece of china. The promotion proved popular with American families already pinching pennies to survive the Great Depression. With each purchase, customers might find items like a teacup, saucer, 6-inch plate, or an oatmeal bowl inside the box. Quaker’s promotions continued for years, with the company giving away dishes, cookware, and flatware with purchases.

Dishes packaged inside boxes of oats in the 1920s

Continued below.
Kitschy Collectibles and Historical Advertising Premiums - The official blog of Newspapers.com

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,734,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They are from around the 70's in age.

Not worth much though.
I’ve seen some people pay some pretty big prices for premiums depending on what they are. I know some of the dishes can go high.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,019,195.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I’ve seen some people pay some pretty big prices for premiums depending on what they are. I know some of the dishes can go high.

I see.

I looked on ebay and some on there selling extremely cheaply (the items i have).

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,734,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see.

I looked on ebay and some on there selling extremely cheaply (the items i have).
eBay is extremely overcrowded anymore. Selling something is not as easy as it used to be.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My younger brother and I took turns (mid-fifties). Mother bought one box at a time. When my turn came I got a tan plastic Thunderbird. I LOVED it! The white plastic wheels turned. I had that little car for years.

And, yes, there were nice prizes in Cracker Jacks (1960).

Last edited:
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,734,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My younger brother and I took turns (mid-fifties). Mother bought one box at a time. When my turn came I got a tan plastic Thunderbird. I LOVED it! The white plastic wheels turned. I had that little car for years.

And, yes, there were nice prizes in Cracker Jacks (1960).

@Rescued One -

You inspired me to go through some of my inventory and I dig this up. They are Cracker Jack prizes on one of those old celluloid chains they used to give so you could attach your charms. I found this at a flea market a few years back. Notice the Popeye and the tiny jade elephant. I hope you enjoy the picture. :)

Oops! Hang on. Got to figure out how to post a pic in this new format. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Ugh! I give up. Sorry. :(
I can't stand the difficulty of this format. Unless I've responded to a post and it shows up in my email, I can't find anything. I can't see what the forums are or anything.

I hate what happened to my icon. It can't be read anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,734,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't stand the difficulty of this format. Unless I've responded to a post and it shows up in my email, I can't find anything. I can't see what the forums are or anything.

I hate what happened to my icon. It can't be read anymore.
It’s taken a lot of the fun out of it. My icon is messed up too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes it is. :(
That stinks. Well, I want to look on the bright side--- where is it?

I just say "In everything give thanks." Sometimes I scream, then I thank God it isn't worse. At my age some really weird things happen.

Upvote 0