Remember when it was a 'conspiracy theory'?

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,157,959.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Common flu maps pretty close to the virus in terms of symptoms. Just because people got sick in late 2019 does not mean they had cv19. There is no real evidence here.
Apparently they were hospitalized. Flu can sometimes be that serious, but if three people from the lab were hospitalized at the same time with flu like symptoms that’s interesting.

The first known case outside the lab is Nov 17, so the timing is tight. 1st known case of coronavirus traced back to November in China | Live Science. Unfortunately the stories about the lab staff just say November, not a date. But it looks like the most probsble origin is still animal contact. Infection takes some time, so going from people in the hospital in November to the known early cases is not impossible but difficult. Unless the Nov 17 case is a lab employee, of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟832,689.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently they were hospitalized. Flu can sometimes be that serious, but if three people from the lab were hospitalized at the same time with flu like symptoms that’s interesting. The first known case outside the lab is Nov 17, so the timing is tight.

Yes but if the lab workers had lunch breaks in the market, or if their wives got sick first, it falls apart. I doubt if incontrovertible evidence will ever be forthcoming here, we just do not know. All we know for sure is there was a virology lab in Wuhan and some people had flu like symptoms in November. This does not prove a lab origin to the virus.

My understanding was that there was a consensus among experts regarding the bat origin. That the markers match. The timing of these latest theories about lab virus origins seems political to me. Bidens no fool and he is using Trump lies and exaggerations as preamble to his meeting with Xi Jing Ping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,157,959.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes but if the lab workers had lunch breaks in the market, or if their wives got sick first, it falls apart. I doubt if incontrovertible evidence will ever be forthcoming here, we just do not know. All we know for sure is there was a virology lab in Wuhan and some people had flu like symptoms in November. This does not prove a lab origin to the virus.

My understanding was that there was a consensus among experts regarding the bat origin. That the markers match. The timing of these latest theories about lab virus origins seems political to me. Bidens no fool and he is using Trump lies and exaggerations as preamble to his meeting with Xi Jing Ping.
Yes, there is a consensus about bat orgin. What's not known is how it got to people. Was it through an intermediate animal? Was it in the market or somewhere else. The lab was apparently studying bats, so it could have come through the lab. There's no consensus about how it got from the bats to humans.

I think Biden (and Trump) is right that the Chinese should be helping figure out the route, and not covering up. Covering up certainly supports the idea that there's something to cover up.

And to be honest, there's nothing wrong with a little propaganda. We are in a cold war with the Chinese. No reason not to point out that it's hard to trust a closed society.

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,849.00
Faith
Atheist

They've (the CDC) also said that it can't be transmitted by eating food, so consumption of infected animals as a means of transmission seems to be a bit of a reach.

There was a "consensus" at the onset that any sort of lab theory "was conspiracy", and the person (Peter Daszak) at the heart of that consensus (the Lancet letter) was doing gain of function research on coronaviruses in bats in coordination with the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Moreover, when that "consensus" was reached there was no hard evidence that it was naturally occurring. To date, they haven't found the the source of the virus from natural means. Their closest lead has been the match to the virus being studied in the WiV from bats collected in 2012.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,849.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟166,018.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They've (the CDC) also said that it can't be transmitted by eating food, so consumption of infected animals as a means of transmission seems to be a bit of a reach.

Chinese wet markets often sell living creatures which can be slaughtered on the spot or taken home live. The transfer of diseases including viral diseases is quite possible in such markets.

Upvote 0