Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
✟252,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Got a question....

I know some people take red yeast rice for lowering cholesterol, but is it safe to take long term?

How long should a person take it, safely?

Is there a recommendation on the amount and duration of use?

Reason I ask....

My Mom has been taking it for some time now and I think she should stop. She is diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and I think it's because she has taken red yeast rice for too long. I wonder if she can stop taking it abruptly or needs to ease off it slowly.

I know that most docs think LDL cholesterol is "bad", but it is not. The only bad cholesterol is oxidated LDL, which is what causes arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). Lowering your cholesterol too low can be dangerous, causing dementia and other things, so that's why I'm asking these questions. I want to help my Mom if possible.

Matthew-59

Space Invader
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
✟252,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Red yeast rice is used in traditional Chinese medicine as a remedy for poor circulation, indigestion, and diarrhea. Red yeast rice has been used in China as a preservative, spice, and food coloring.

Thanks for you reply. That doesn't really answer my question though, but does give some good historical background info.

Do you have a response relevant to my question?

Oh... btw, my Mom is taking it for lowering her cholesterol. I think she has it too low and needs to stop taking RYR.

Upvote 0