malloriesDad

Nov 1, 2010
Texas
✟7,753.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello All, I'm recently divorced. Long story short, I tried to save our marriage. Wife was un-happy and wanted out and didn't even want to try to save it. No cheating or anything like that. She said it was her and she wasn't happy and not in-love with me anymore.

I'm finding it hard to let my feelings for her go. I still loved her, I meant my vows when I spoke them on our wedding day. She is being very vindictive to me lately, she gets angry at me for the smallest things. I believe she has an anger issue and needs help. The problem I'm having is it still crushes me on the inside when she gets mad at me, Like I feel like it's my fault she is mad. Then I get mad at myself because I should be stronger than this. I feel I man up and be strong and not weak.

Others that have had to deal with divorce, how did you cope with your divorce and the interaction you had with your ex?

Thank you all - Andy

Last edited:
Reactions: Runaway

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟657,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello All, I'm recently divorced. Long story short, I tried to save our marriage. Wife was un-happy and wanted out and didn't even want to try to save it. No cheating or anything like that. She said it was her and she wasn't happy and not in-love with me anymore.

I'm finding it hard to let my feelings for her go. I still loved her, I meant my vows when I spoke them on our wedding day. She is being very vindictive to me lately, she gets [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ed off a me for the smallest things. I believe she has an anger issue and needs help. The problem I'm having is it still crushes me on the inside when she gets mad at me, Like I feel like it's my fault she is mad. Then I get mad at myself because I should be stronger than this. I feel I man up and be strong and not weak.

Others that have had to deal with divorce, how did you cope with your divorce and the interaction you had with your ex?

Thank you all - Andy

Devistating, quite simply.

Like you had been hoping for the best, but two evenings ago she asked me to sign divorce papers.

Which I did,

So, it,s like tearing out a piece of one,s self.

Just saw this section concerned Christians,
but it is most probably just as difficult fo anyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

malloriesDad

Nov 1, 2010
Texas
✟7,753.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Devistating, quite simply.

Like you had been hoping for the best, but two evenings ago she asked me to sign divorce papers.

Which I did,

So, it,s like tearing out a piece of one,s self.

Just saw this section concerned Christians,
but it is most probably just as difficult fo anyone.

Very True! It's as if a piece of my soul is missing. But also, it's the life I wished for us is gone. The life where my wife, myself, & my two daughters live in a happy home. The life where my wife and I grow old together and retire happy. It's everything that I wanted to for us is now gone.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Very difficult time, no question and I went through a very difficult divorce were abnormal behaviors were a big issue.

Everything happens for a reason and I would recommend you spend some time with a therapist, to help you understand what happened, as this will give you a bit of closure and peace of mind.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is not unusual to still have strong feelings for your ex.

As for vindictiveness, it's probably coming from her own pain and suffering (anger too maybe). I'm pretty familiar with being lashed out at by my ex as of late.

I am in therapy so that's how I'm dealing with it. I would recommend at least trying that. Good luck.

Upvote 0

malloriesDad

Nov 1, 2010
Texas
✟7,753.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It is not unusual to still have strong feelings for your ex.

As for vindictiveness, it's probably coming from her own pain and suffering (anger too maybe). I'm pretty familiar with being lashed out at by my ex as of late.

I am in therapy so that's how I'm dealing with it. I would recommend at least trying that. Good luck.

Thank you! I'm going to a Christian counselor for some time now and it's helping some. I guess it's just going to take time. It's just mind blowing at the amount of anger she has. And it's sad, because all of her anger and emotion is causing her un-happiness. It's like a vicious loop.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thank you! I'm going to a Christian counselor for some time now and it's helping some. I guess it's just going to take time. It's just mind blowing at the amount of anger she has. And it's sad, because all of her anger and emotion is causing her un-happiness. It's like a vicious loop.

I'm glad you're in counseling.

Do remember that you are not responsible for how she deals with her situation. She needs to handle her feelings how she's going to handle them and you need to do the same. Hopefully you will both find peace one day.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi MalloriesDad, welcome to CF.
That is tough, and not knowing what is her core issue means no feeling on how to respond to her I'd think.
When my wife divorced me, I came to the point where it was clear she didn't want to be married to me and I wasn't going to force something that she didn't want. So I accepted my new situation and started to think about what I wanted next in my life.
So I'd say to grieve your marriage and when your ready start planning what you want in the next stage of your life.
Its 7+ yrs since my divorce and I'm enjoying my life, couldn't be better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

malloriesDad

Nov 1, 2010
Texas
✟7,753.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi MalloriesDad, welcome to CF.
That is tough, and not knowing what is her core issue means no feeling on how to respond to her I'd think.
When my wife divorced me, I came to the point where it was clear she didn't want to be married to me and I wasn't going to force something that she didn't want. So I accepted my new situation and started to think about what I wanted next in my life.
So I'd say to grieve your marriage and when your ready start planning what you want in the next stage of your life.
Its 7+ yrs since my divorce and I'm enjoying my life, couldn't be better.

Thanks to everyone! Dayhiker, I hear this form a lot of divorced guys. You are right, I struggled with trying to keep the marriage going. I tried hard to fix it. I've realized she just doesn't want to be married to me. It's still hurts though, like I just found out she's been posting all over facebook about how happy she is to be single.

I do look forward to starting my life over, I just wish I could get out of all of this drama and get my mind right. But seems like everytime I get going and things look up. She starts her drama again.

One tough thing for many divorced men is that their wife was their main person to be affectionate and intimate with. It is a very real loss to deal with. It's hard.

Yes, it really is. Not only did I lose my wife, but I feel like I've lost her as my best friend too.

Upvote 0

malloriesDad

Nov 1, 2010
Texas
✟7,753.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad you're in counseling.

Do remember that you are not responsible for how she deals with her situation. She needs to handle her feelings how she's going to handle them and you need to do the same. Hopefully you will both find peace one day.

Thank you. Yes, I try to always remember I'm not responsible, in-fact the counselor make it a point to remind me of this fact. It's just that how she is dealing with her issues can and will affect everyone else, not just her. I truly hope she finds happiness, I'm just not sure if she is capable of being happy at this point in time.

Upvote 0

olds8598

Overcomer of Divorce
Jul 26, 2013
✟18,057.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I'm finding it hard to let my feelings for her go. I still loved her, I meant my vows when I spoke them on our wedding day. She is being very vindictive to me lately, she gets angry at me for the smallest things. I believe she has an anger issue and needs help. The problem I'm having is it still crushes me on the inside when she gets mad at me, Like I feel like it's my fault she is mad. Then I get mad at myself because I should be stronger than this. I feel I man up and be strong and not weak.

Thank you all - Andy

Andy,

I started crying when I read your story because it is VERY similar to mine and this morning I was down about my divorce and felt like crying but it wouldn't come out.

My situation: I am 49, she is 54, married almost eleven years, I would grade it an A-, no children, no adultery or abuse, she loved me and I loved her, her family and friends loved me, vice versa with my family and friends...unfortunately she had a habit of putting her family first and before me/the marriage. Over the decade plus, it was little things. Then in 2012 I was on the verge of eviction, her brother--who I had spent many a weekend over his place with his family and whose youngest daughter was the apple-of-my-eye--said if I lost the apartment I could move in with them. My wife would move in with her folks (there wasn't enough room there for me.) Two months later my wife tells me our sister-in-law said I could NOT move in. No reason given. No defense by my wife ("It's my family--what do you want me to do, argue with them?"). I was crushed, felt betrayed, mad, sad--the whole 9. Six days I was willing to forgive (this was definitely a spiritual epiphany) but she surprised me on April 22, 2012 by saying she was wanted a divorce, no man in her life, and to move back in to take care of her ill parents.

In May 2012 when another brother came with her to pick up the rest of her stuff, and he and I were alone he had such a pained look on his face. He was very sorry for what she was doing and informed me his wife was also doing the same thing: leaving the marriage to return to "the nest."

I wish I could have seen my ex's face when she opened up the boxes to find her stuff and ALL of our stuff: wedding video and pictures, lovey-dovey cards, drawings from our favored niece--everything positive, sweet, etc. associated with our entire relationship (we met in 1999 and married in 2001). I sent her back her stuff because I didn't want any emotional attachments. I did the same thing when I broke up with the girl I was dating before my ex.

Initially I was against paying for the divorce because she wanted it and I didn't. We had separate bank accounts. The last time I spoke to her--after months of ignoring my letters--was November 2012 when I asked how much she had saved up; she hadn't. I knew from her ignoring the letters and her refusal in that May my offer to talk to save the marriage (this offer was God-inspired, not me-inspired), she still wanted the divorce. Eventually I got tired of waiting and viewed her as dead weight in my life, so I initiated the divorce through my previous job's union. It was EXTREMELY cheap, fast, and painless (no alimony). After she was served--ironically almost to the day a year later after her divorce declaration--and during the whole legal proceedings, she remained silent. She didn't get an attorney, nor contact me or my lawyer. The judgment came in last August.

As a fellow Christian, I say your first source of help should be the Lord Himself. Cry, curse, question--lay everything at His feet. It is very good you are going to a therapist; I did too. Rely on this board. Rely on family and friends. Speak to people you know who were divorced, especially those who have children. I cannot offer any advice regarding kids because we didn't have any.

I would highly recommend not going onto Facebook or anything else online to see what's up with her. It will only make you feel even worse. I had access to my ex's email account because her username and password were saved on my computer. From 2012-13 I would occasionally go into it to see if she wrote anything about the situation. Knowing her lack of online savvy, it appears she didn't. I would never even consider seeing her Facebook activities; seeing her happy--even if it was just the moment the picture was taken--would kill me. Don't add more reasons to be sad. Trust me, moments of sadness will come and they do not need your help or re-enforcements.

In terms of the moments of sadness, sometimes you will know the reason for the moment (ex: going by a restaurant you two went to). Sometimes you won't know the reason. I found this frustrating.

I too thought this would be it--forever. It sucks when a spouse is taken away by crime, illness, or an accident. It EPICALLY sucks when the spouse takes themselves away :(. My ex used to say, "I'll never leave you. Remember what the priest said--'in the good times and bad times.'"

I also still have strong feelings for my ex. I miss the woman from 1999 to 2012. It saddens me that woman is gone. I miss what we had; I am saddened this union is gone. My feelings have evolved into missing her good qualities as opposed to her as a person. I try to console myself that she doesn't have a lock on those good qualities, that the next girl will also have them. I too have bouts of self-hatred because of these still lingering feelings. I--and you--have to remember that a broken heart is like a broken leg: it takes time to heal.

My healing skyrocketed when last year right after the divorce judgment came in I forgave my wife, her brother, and his wife. She does not know this; it is between me and God and was more for my own personal healing. I got great advice here on this board about forgiving others; sometimes they will rebuff the forgiveness, saying "YOU'RE forgiving ME?" I haven't seen my wife since May 2012. I haven't spoken to her since November 2012. That's fine. Any further interaction between us would have be her-inspired or God-inspired. My response would be, "Yeah, what do YOU want?"

I would not recommend dating. I miss having a woman in my life, but I know I am not ready for a new relationship. I am alone but not lonely. I have also enjoyed spending my money on only me. Sorry ladies, you'all are expensive :).

Be compassionate and caring to yourself. Occupy your time with things YOU like to do. Treat yourself to things.

I hope I helped.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟657,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
What has happened to me these past few days I don,t quite understand,
exept that I,m not hungry, I have hardly eaten anything,

but I have noticed myself being more open and smiling and small talking with total strangers, it is surprising how some light up.

It is also came to me, an expression which goes something like this;

"An olive has to be crushed so as the purest of oil can flow."

I don,t believe things just happen, all things are by Divine Providence,

even if it hurts, much,

as said before, God feels the pain, as much as a mother feels the hurt when her child is teething.

There is sadness, but joy is as productive as sadness is destructive.

We are commanded to serve the Lord with joy,

How much more so when the going gets tough.

Upvote 0

malloriesDad

Nov 1, 2010
Texas
✟7,753.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Andy,

I started crying when I read your story because it is VERY similar to mine and this morning I was down about my divorce and felt like crying but it wouldn't come out.

My situation: I am 49, she is 54, married almost eleven years, I would grade it an A-, no children, no adultery or abuse, she loved me and I loved her, her family and friends loved me, vice versa with my family and friends...unfortunately she had a habit of putting her family first and before me/the marriage. Over the decade plus, it was little things. Then in 2012 I was on the verge of eviction, her brother--who I had spent many a weekend over his place with his family and whose youngest daughter was the apple-of-my-eye--said if I lost the apartment I could move in with them. My wife would move in with her folks (there wasn't enough room there for me.) Two months later my wife tells me our sister-in-law said I could NOT move in. No reason given. No defense by my wife ("It's my family--what do you want me to do, argue with them?"). I was crushed, felt betrayed, mad, sad--the whole 9. Six days I was willing to forgive (this was definitely a spiritual epiphany) but she surprised me on April 22, 2012 by saying she was wanted a divorce, no man in her life, and to move back in to take care of her ill parents.

In May 2012 when another brother came with her to pick up the rest of her stuff, and he and I were alone he had such a pained look on his face. He was very sorry for what she was doing and informed me his wife was also doing the same thing: leaving the marriage to return to "the nest."

I wish I could have seen my ex's face when she opened up the boxes to find her stuff and ALL of our stuff: wedding video and pictures, lovey-dovey cards, drawings from our favored niece--everything positive, sweet, etc. associated with our entire relationship (we met in 1999 and married in 2001). I sent her back her stuff because I didn't want any emotional attachments. I did the same thing when I broke up with the girl I was dating before my ex.

Initially I was against paying for the divorce because she wanted it and I didn't. We had separate bank accounts. The last time I spoke to her--after months of ignoring my letters--was November 2012 when I asked how much she had saved up; she hadn't. I knew from her ignoring the letters and her refusal in that May my offer to talk to save the marriage (this offer was God-inspired, not me-inspired), she still wanted the divorce. Eventually I got tired of waiting and viewed her as dead weight in my life, so I initiated the divorce through my previous job's union. It was EXTREMELY cheap, fast, and painless (no alimony). After she was served--ironically almost to the day a year later after her divorce declaration--and during the whole legal proceedings, she remained silent. She didn't get an attorney, nor contact me or my lawyer. The judgment came in last August.

As a fellow Christian, I say your first source of help should be the Lord Himself. Cry, curse, question--lay everything at His feet. It is very good you are going to a therapist; I did too. Rely on this board. Rely on family and friends. Speak to people you know who were divorced, especially those who have children. I cannot offer any advice regarding kids because we didn't have any.

I would highly recommend not going onto Facebook or anything else online to see what's up with her. It will only make you feel even worse. I had access to my ex's email account because her username and password were saved on my computer. From 2012-13 I would occasionally go into it to see if she wrote anything about the situation. Knowing her lack of online savvy, it appears she didn't. I would never even consider seeing her Facebook activities; seeing her happy--even if it was just the moment the picture was taken--would kill me. Don't add more reasons to be sad. Trust me, moments of sadness will come and they do not need your help or re-enforcements.

In terms of the moments of sadness, sometimes you will know the reason for the moment (ex: going by a restaurant you two went to). Sometimes you won't know the reason. I found this frustrating.

I too thought this would be it--forever. It sucks when a spouse is taken away by crime, illness, or an accident. It EPICALLY sucks when the spouse takes themselves away :(. My ex used to say, "I'll never leave you. Remember what the priest said--'in the good times and bad times.'"

I also still have strong feelings for my ex. I miss the woman from 1999 to 2012. It saddens me that woman is gone. I miss what we had; I am saddened this union is gone. My feelings have evolved into missing her good qualities as opposed to her as a person. I try to console myself that she doesn't have a lock on those good qualities, that the next girl will also have them. I too have bouts of self-hatred because of these still lingering feelings. I--and you--have to remember that a broken heart is like a broken leg: it takes time to heal.

My healing skyrocketed when last year right after the divorce judgment came in I forgave my wife, her brother, and his wife. She does not know this; it is between me and God and was more for my own personal healing. I got great advice here on this board about forgiving others; sometimes they will rebuff the forgiveness, saying "YOU'RE forgiving ME?" I haven't seen my wife since May 2012. I haven't spoken to her since November 2012. That's fine. Any further interaction between us would have be her-inspired or God-inspired. My response would be, "Yeah, what do YOU want?"

I would not recommend dating. I miss having a woman in my life, but I know I am not ready for a new relationship. I am alone but not lonely. I have also enjoyed spending my money on only me. Sorry ladies, you'all are expensive :).

Be compassionate and caring to yourself. Occupy your time with things YOU like to do. Treat yourself to things.

I hope I helped.

olds8598,

Thank you so much for your words, I'm so sorry what has happened to you as well. It sounds like you are in a good place and getting better with every day. Your story has indeed helped, your story and others have showed me i'm not alone in how i'm feeling. And that things will get better. Even though in the back of my mind I've known all along I will be OK, It's still hard to get passed a lot of what's happened to me. I know I have to though.

Anyway, thank you so very much and God Bless everyone on this site that has prayed and help with encouraging words.

Upvote 0

malloriesDad

Nov 1, 2010
Texas
✟7,753.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What has happened to me these past few days I don,t quite understand,
exept that I,m not hungry, I have hardly eaten anything,

but I have noticed myself being more open and smiling and small talking with total strangers, it is surprising how some light up.

It is also came to me, an expression which goes something like this;

"An olive has to be crushed so as the purest of oil can flow."

I don,t believe things just happen, all things are by Divine Providence,

even if it hurts, much,

as said before, God feels the pain, as much as a mother feels the hurt when her child is teething.

There is sadness, but joy is as productive as sadness is destructive.

We are commanded to serve the Lord with joy,

How much more so when the going gets tough.

So very true!!! We sometimes don't find things out about ourselves till we are in truly difficult and hard situations. The analogy of the olive in an olive press is very fitting! I've found myself experiencing little of what you are talking about. I find myself being a little more friendly with strangers, where as before I've normally just kept to myself.

I'm not sure what your experienceing to cause this, whatever it is I pray you use it and who knows maybe there is someone out there (a total stranger) who needs to know Christ and God is leading you to them.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟657,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
So very true!!! We sometimes don't find things out about ourselves till we are in truly difficult and hard situations. The analogy of the olive in an olive press is very fitting! I've found myself experiencing little of what you are talking about. I find myself being a little more friendly with strangers, where as before I've normally just kept to myself.

I'm not sure what your experienceing to cause this, whatever it is I pray you use it and who knows maybe there is someone out there (a total stranger) who needs to know Christ and God is leading you to them.

Thank you and you too,

and others here.

Upvote 0

olds8598

Overcomer of Divorce
Jul 26, 2013
✟18,057.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Old I really like what you say about being compassionate to yourself. Lot of wisdom there.

Thanks, brother. :)

For me, it's a relatively new development (with the last decade). I used to be able to offer compassion to family, friend, and stranger...everyone except myself.

Upvote 0