JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟435,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello all,
How many of you here on ChristianForums use Linux as your daily system? If so, which distribution do you use? I am using Mint 21.1 and it is solid and stable. It made me fall back in love with Linux all over again.

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟435,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
@Brother-Mike ,
You should check out Linux Mint. Its based on Ubuntu 22.10 and it is very secure and fun to play around with! :)

• Agree
Reactions: Brother-Mike
Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah definitely - I am tempted to VM it on my MBP - lately I noticed Apple pulled many of the normal built-in GNU/FOSS tools like Python into a separate download that you have to agree to a bunch of terms to get. Used to be all of that stuff was just installed and ready to go from OSX terminal (mind you, like two years out of date, but better than nothing).

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟51,540.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
I have a Proxmox server and a general purpose Ubuntu server running a few services I use daily.

But to answer the intent of the question: since working from home on my desktop as a Windows sysadmin, I have too much stuff that I really don't have time to screw around with it as a daily end user OS anymore. When I used to experiment, it'd usually be Debian or Ubuntu running KDE.

Reactions: Brother-Mike
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Cannock Chase, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟787,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Over the years I have been using Linux almost exclusively on my laptop and desktop (I did try Windows 11 to see what it was like, but didn't get on well with it).
I enjoy exploring new software and features, but increasingly I have depended upon having a system which is stable and reliable. I understand it is the same system that powers the NASA Pleiades supercomputer. It also has advanced configuration tools such as YaST and the safety of a snapshot/rollback feature.
I use Linux mainly for audio production, photo and video editing, creating documents, web browsing and communication (eg. email).
KDE is my preferred desktop environment, but I also enjoy using Gnome from time to time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟76,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm using Zorin. It has its pros and cons. It's the first Linux OS that I have used on a regular basis (other than Android, but should Android still be considered Linux?). I have little experience with Ubuntu from a college course I took years ago.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟435,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Over the years I have been using Linux almost exclusively on my laptop and desktop (I did try Windows 11 to see what it was like, but didn't get on well with it).
I enjoy exploring new software and features, but increasingly I have depended upon having a system which is stable and reliable. I understand it is the same system that powers the NASA Pleiades supercomputer. It also has advanced configuration tools such as YaST and the safety of a snapshot/rollback feature.
I use Linux mainly for audio production, photo and video editing, creating documents, web browsing and communication (eg. email).
KDE is my preferred desktop environment, but I also enjoy using Gnome from time to time.
@Anthony2019 ,
What is the name of your distro? The only one I know of that uses YaST is OpenSuse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Cannock Chase, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟787,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
@Anthony2019 ,
What is the name of your distro? The only one I know of that uses YaST is OpenSuse.
Hi Jesse
The distro is OpenSuSE. It comes in two variants - OpenSuSE Tumbleweed (which is rolling release, and gets all updated packages that have passed their QA process). and OpenSuSE Leap which is a point release and binary compatible with SuSE Enterprise Linux. I use Leap for day to day stuff due to it being very stable - but I keep my eye on Tumbleweed to see new features and updates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

barefootNH

Saved by Grace
Oct 11, 2013
New Hampshire
✟19,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I started experimenting with Linux since the 2009 time-frame. I'm heavily into technology, but not a super computer-user so it had to be relatively easy: Ubuntu or one if its variants seemed the way to go. I tried many different distros and settled on Ubuntu Mate.

If one of my computers came with Windoze I'd dual-boot with it: since I paid for the Windoze license I might as well keep it for those times when I'd need it. I recently got a great deal on a couple of used enterprise-grade laptops, so I bought a hard drive for each and installed Ubuntu Mate on them; my (non-techie) wife is very comfortable with it.

For quite a few years (since 2012?) I've been using Linux almost exclusively at home, and it has actually helped me at work. It has also helped me with other people's computers when they have a problem, such as their filesystem went corrupt, or something they tried to do went sideways.

FWIW, the founder of Mint is a racial bigot, proud of it, and was unrepentant last I did research. Before I knew that I did try Mint, but eventually discarded it: I, and others have noted that it can be a little 'odd.' YMMV

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟435,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I started experimenting with Linux since the 2009 time-frame. I'm heavily into technology, but not a super computer-user so it had to be relatively easy: Ubuntu or one if its variants seemed the way to go. I tried many different distros and settled on Ubuntu Mate.

If one of my computers came with Windoze I'd dual-boot with it: since I paid for the Windoze license I might as well keep it for those times when I'd need it. I recently got a great deal on a couple of used enterprise-grade laptops, so I bought a hard drive for each and installed Ubuntu Mate on them; my (non-techie) wife is very comfortable with it.

For quite a few years (since 2012?) I've been using Linux almost exclusively at home, and it has actually helped me at work. It has also helped me with other people's computers when they have a problem, such as their filesystem went corrupt, or something they tried to do went sideways.

FWIW, the founder of Mint is a racial bigot, proud of it, and was unrepentant last I did research. Before I knew that I did try Mint, but eventually discarded it: I, and others have noted that it can be a little 'odd.' YMMV
I did know that about Mint. I tried the 21.1 version but have settled on ZorinOS. I then install cinnamon as my desktop environment. No problems whatsoever.

Upvote 0