Quiverfull and Adoption/Fostering/Caring

I

InTheFlame

First - I'm not QF according to most definitions I've read.

Second - I'm not in here to cause trouble or debate!

I do have a query that's been percolating through my brain for a while now... where do options such as adoption, fostering, regularly taking someone else's children to give them a break, fit into the QF theology/ideology/concepts? Should we be seeking out opportunities to care for children who aren't being treated as the blessings they are? Or are only our own biological children to be considered blessings?

This isn't just a curiousity question... some idea or concept is struggling to make its way into my conscious mind, and maybe y'all can help me out! :)

oliveplants

Senior Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
✟11,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I personally am very uncomfortable around other people's children. But I think Christians should be only helpful and loving. Certianly the Bible speaks highly of caring for the fatherless and widow.

Even being a regular babysitter for young parents is such a blessing, (to the child, the parents, and I suppose to the sitter) and helps foster the right environment for children to be cherished. (If DH and I weren't so stubborn, it would be hard for us to have more children, because we never get a break/have no one we can trust to babysit.)

But I believe children are born to their parents for a reason, and I would have to be very careful about 'taking a child away' from his parents, or usurping the parental authority. Not to say it's never justified, just that I'd be very careful.

Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Should we be seeking out opportunities to care for children who aren't being treated as the blessings they are? Or are only our own biological children to be considered blessings?
In my version of QF this is a Wonderful way to add to your household and spread the L-rd's love around. :)

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm still not sure what exactly prompted the question

I had the same question--in my case, it lines up with "lets take care of those children who are already born" give them homes, etc, before just trying to conceive more...It's like if you really want a housefull, they are already here, aren't they? No disprespect intended..some of us are just trying to understand because we can not comprehend wanting more than 2-4 or being able to be good parents to more than that many.

Upvote 0

ACADEMIC

The Roving Forums Scholar
Aug 13, 2006
✟8,281.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am adopted. :wave:

Many Christians maintain that couples may legitimately not have biological children, and caring for orphans or adopting is frequently cited as a wonderful alternative to such.

Even QF author Samuel Owen argues that birth control may be permissable for married couples called to a "higher moral purpose" than having children, such as caring long-term for many orphans or serving as career missionaries in a dangerous location.

Among QF authors, Owen obviously presents a minority view on the matter.

Some Christians maintain adopting or caring for the already-born neglected is ethically higher than having biological children. I think it is certainly something more couples should consider but it is not binding. I maintain that having or not having biological children are both Biblically legitimate options for married Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
InTheFlame - I was brewing this question over with my husband a while ago. We are not quiverfull in the biological sense but are strongly led to have a full home by fostering or adoption in the future. I have known too many children who have been tossed around the system with bad experiences. I want to be a positive memory for them. I feel that in some ways those children who need the love would be more of a blessing for us than if we had more of our own.

Upvote 0