Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
1. Am I understanding the process of evolution correctly?
From what I have gathered, evolution is the gradual process of changes within a species over time. Evolutionists generally do not make a distinction between macro and micro-evolution. These small changes (what creationists call micro-evolution) add up over time and you can eventually end up with a different species.
On one hand, I was taught about natural selection and how a species adapts to fit is environment, but also that evolution is random and a change or the addition or removal of a feature is not determined by being either advantageous or disadvantageous to a species’ survival.
Is this correct?

2. What do you make of the rest of the Old Testament? If you believe Adam and Eve were real, where do they fit into all of this? How did the Fall occur? Is Genesis (aside from the Creation Week) literal and real history?

3. Do you still believe in Moses and Abraham?
It seems the general consensus among scholars is that there is little evidence for either of their existence, and are more likely etiological myths that have some historical truth to them.

I’m asking these questions to come away with a better understanding of what theistic evolutionists believe, and I think my faith is being challenged, too.

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From what I have gathered, evolution is the gradual process of changes within a species over time. Evolutionists generally do not make a distinction between macro and micro-evolution. These small changes (what creationists call micro-evolution) add up over time and you can eventually end up with a different species.
On one hand, I was taught about natural selection and how a species adapts to fit is environment, but also that evolution is random and a change or the addition or removal of a feature is not determined by being either advantageous or disadvantageous to a species’ survival.
Is this correct?

Yes, more or less. If a mutation creates a feature that decreases the survivability, it will tend to die out (or at least not do so well). So evolution tends to be fuelled by beneficial mutations, even though the vast majority of mutations will be immediately fatal, or at least disadvantageous.

2. What do you make of the rest of the Old Testament? If you believe Adam and Eve were real, where do they fit into all of this? How did the Fall occur? Is Genesis (aside from the Creation Week) literal and real history?

Adam and Eve must have existed, logically. At one point there were no humans on Earth. Sometime later there were, therefore there must have been a first man. I believe the description in Genesis is allegorical. God created man in his own image by giving him a consciousness. However, this freedom also allows him to make moral judgements (knowledge of good and evil) that animals do not have. This, therefore, allows him to choose to sin.

Much of the rest of Genesis is probably allegorical too, though my faith doesn't need it to be (or not to be), so it is not a distinction that is important to me.

It seems the general consensus among scholars is that there is little evidence for either of their existence, and are more likely etiological myths that have some historical truth to them.

Yes, I think that is a reasonable view. I am also convinced that some of the later books, such as Job, are simply useful stories that we can learn from. They still contain truth, even without being literally true.

I note that Jesus very often taught in parables. He told stories that were not intended to be literal, but demonstrated some truth about God and our relationship to Him. The parable of the Good Samaritan, for example, doesn't have to be true to be useful, and Jesus telling this parable as a story doesn't make him somehow dishonest or weaken its importance.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟347,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From what I have gathered, evolution is the gradual process of changes within a species over time. Evolutionists generally do not make a distinction between macro and micro-evolution.
That last sentence is not really true -- macroevolution is a thing in evolutionary biology. Different branches of biology have different notions of what constitutes "macroevolution", however. It's a matter of debate whether there some evolutionary processes need to be considered in macroevolution that don't matter in microevolution, but these reflect technical arguments about the details of the process, not any uncertainty that common descent is true.
These small changes (what creationists call micro-evolution) add up over time and you can eventually end up with a different species.
Yes, that's the usual process. You can also have abrupt change and end up with a different species. That happens fairly often in plants, for example, where two different species can combine genomes to form a new species in a single generation (a process known as 'allopolyploidization', which is as fine-looking a mass of syllables as you're likely to see).
Natural selection is a bias (toward beneficial change, against detrimental change) in a random process. There is no question at all that evolution by natural selection helps species adapt to their environment.
What do you make of the rest of the Old Testament?
A mixed bag.
If you believe Adam and Eve were real, where do they fit into all of this? How did the Fall occur? Is Genesis (aside from the Creation Week) literal and real history?
I don't believe Genesis records real history.
Yeah, what you said here.

Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From what I have gathered, evolution is the gradual process of changes within a species over time.
The definition really does not mean anything. Evolution is a collection of theories that have to stand or fall on their own merit. For example common ancestor is a well accepted theory. The Bible is all about the generations and common ancestors. So it is easy for theists to accept this.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,154,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is this correct?
Yes, generally speaking.

** I don't think Adam and Eve were real. I never have. However, I do think the Garden of Eden story is a form of prophetic revelation, even if it isn't literal history, and I generally think this is the case with the first 11 chapters of Genesis. [But in saying this, there's still a whole lot more than can be said.......]

** The Fall is real in the sense that, as a revelatory concept given to us by God, it is a state of being we're all caught in and one for which Jesus came to begin the processes of remedying.

** For me, the rest of the Old Testament after Genesis is prophetic revelation, and like ALL human writing, it is representational in nature.
I think the story of Abraham is also prophetic revelation, although his story may or may not reflect actual vestiges of historical personages. Moses I think was a real guy, even if what he wrote wasn't perhaps the Pentateuch as we now have it but rather some kind of proto-Law that may have been revised and handled by later Jewish people.

I’m asking these questions to come away with a better understanding of what theistic evolutionists believe, and I think my faith is being challenged, too.
First of all, I can understand how your faith is challenged by this. I know mine always has been. However, there are some interesting books out there one can read that help with understanding how Theistic Evolutionist attempt to deal with these issues. Also, you can check out the Christian Theistic Evolution website of BioLogos.org. There's all kinds of free stuff there that one can access that can also help when one is wrestling with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe Genesis records real history.
Then you are going to have reject science because all of science and all of recorded history shows us the Bible is accurate and true. Even math shows us the Bible has an accuracy as great as the universe.

Of course if you want to prove the existence of God then you would need quantum physics that most people can understand with their unconscious mind or our universal consciousness but not their conscious mind.

Bishop Ussher's book is very good resource for doing a study on the historical accuracy of the Bible. A lot of the reference books he used are no longer available because the information is in his book. The say with Moses. WE do not have the actual books he used when he wrote the Bible because that information is available to us in the Bible. Even the New Testament. We do not have the genealogies they used when Luke and Matthew did their research. It is believed the originals were destroyed when the temple was destroyed in 70 AD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟300,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is this correct?

Most of the above sounded correct. I would just add that, the addition or loss of a feature would often (if not always) be the product of selective pressures.

For example, let's say we have a species of 100 zebras. All 100 zebras have a random mutation and now they're all genetically different (but still the same species and are still all zebras).

If there were no selective pressures, every individual zebra might eventually split off into it's own unique species (short legged zebra, long legged zebra and more).

But the reality is that some mutations might be bad, and so you might have a portion of the species in which their mutation hurts them. Ie the short legged zebra probably won't be able to run as fast as the long legged. So the short legged is hunted and basically just goes extinct. The long legged has more offspring, it outlives the short legged, now long legs is a standard that all zebras have because it helps them survive.

So the point is, the mutations are seemingly random. They create countless variations in any direction you could imagine. The Cambrian explosion Burgess shale organisms are wildly variable in really bizarre ways (as an example).

It isn't until selective pressures are applied, that mutations "fixate" and a species evolves to eventually become another species.

Really though, I think this is smart design because random mutations really allow God's creation to survive a complex world. The world gets too hot and we loose fur. The world gets too cold and we gain fur. We need food so we gain teeth, we don't want to be someone else's food so we gain shells. Etc. And as the world changes, we change. And if we don't change, then we die.

2. I actually really enjoy the old testament. It sets the stage for our Lord's redeeming power. Mankind disobeyed the Lord throughout history, and God repeatedly just kept coming to us, time and time again. He rescued his people out of slavery in Exodus, he sent judges to help us in confusing times, he brought David forward to lead us and through the hoise of David, ultimately brought Jesus our savior. And throughout the old testament we also have books which help us understand how to live and to survive in a broken world (such as proverbs or even the book of Job).

God stuck with us the whole time, and kept his promise that He would lift us from our broken state.

I do not think Adam and Eve were literally real. Technically there must have been a first man and first woman at some period of time, but usually when I read Genesis, i take away other values that aren't derived from a literal interpretations.

For example: Genesis teaches us a lot about ourselves. Adam named all the animals but could find none suitable for Him and God said that man is not to be alone. Adam eventually metmet and was stunned and in awe when he said that wow! she is flesh of my flesh and bone of my bone, and none other were fit for Him.

This tells us something about ourselves as human beings. It tells us that we in some sense, are communal or are made for things like monogomous marriage with women (or men if you are a woman). Generally speaking.

Adam and Eve ate the apple and were in sin and ashamed of their bodies . They had lied and once caught, hid themselves and separated themselves from the Lord.

Throughout all of scripture, God is simply trying to bring us back to Him. We don't need to hide, we don't need to blame others if we sin, we don't need to lie or run away. God just wants us to be open and in His arms.

And so, without Adam and Eve being literally real figures, we till find many valuable concepts in Genesis that help us understand who God is and who we are as people. And again, it sets the stage for God's redeeming power when Christ ultimately sacrifices himself on the cross.

You asked "how did the fall occur". Well we know that violence existed in this world hundreds of millions of years before mankind ever existed. We have fossil animals with teeth marks in their bones, fossil predators with prey in their stomachs as well. We know that animals fought and destroyed other animals. And this has been occuring long long before we ever existed. We simply were born into it and struggled in our understanding of why it is so. So regarding the question, "the fall" would not have occurred in a literal sense.

In Genesis the fall occurs when Adam and Eve eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. Some suggest that this could mean that mankind simply became sentient and aware of sin. As opposed to sin coming into existance 6000 years ago.

3. I believe in Moses and Abraham. I have no reason to doubt their existance. Did Moses literally part the red Sea like we see in Hollywood movies with the sea walls blasting into the sky? I don't think so. The real world isn't a Hollywood movie. But this doesn't mean that a man named Moses never freed people from slavery.
_---------------------

Hope this helps.
I'm a geologist and ultimately, as scientists, usually we accept what we perceive as reality first, then we determine what that means for our faith later. For example, in my opinion, sin and death existed long before humanity existed. This is how I perceive reality. So then I have no choice but to understand Genesis in certain non literal way. People who deny geology and biology, they typically, no offense to them, but often they're detached from reality. Reality that is God's creation of existance. Scripture is not the only form of His message. He created earth and life, and by "reading the rocks" and studying our biology, we are also studying God's work. We simply use our eyes and tests to Understand God's work, in addition to scripture. Whereas deniers usually just focus on scripture and do not spend time studying physical creation (or if they do, it is a limited time).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel like the best interpretation of the early chapters of Genesis is that it is an allegory kind of like the allegories in Ezekiel where one woman represents the nation of Israel. Likewise Genesis describes real events but in a condensed form, for instance the days of creation represent long periods and there may have been more than just two people involved in the Fall.
Also I prefer not to claim more for each book of the Bible than claims for itself, for instance Luke claims to be a historian who has done his research, not an infallible divinely inspired writer.

Upvote 0