Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟279,590.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Agree with the above.

Good and evil are conceptual labels human apply to our actions, the actions of others and the outcomes of both. They are not things, they are concepts, or properties.

I'm not sure I could provide 'proof' of this without writing a full paper on human psychology and cognitive linguistics.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They are words. They have the meaning that people ascribe to them, as it is with all words.
If *good* and *evil*were just words we could simply dismiss their existence. But they are not just words. Whatever brings a benefit (material, physical, emotional, or spiritual) to another is good, whereas whatever brings harm to another is evil. Another way to look at this is to see that whatever comes from God is good, whereas whatever comes from Satan is evil.

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟498,339.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If *good* and *evil*were just words we could simply dismiss their existence. But they are not just words. Whatever brings a benefit (material, physical, emotional, or spiritual) to another is good, whereas whatever brings harm to another is evil. Another way to look at this is to see that whatever comes from God is good, whereas whatever comes from Satan is evil.

Your definition is lacking. Say I steal a hundred dollars from you. It brings benefit to me but harms you. So it is what? Neutral, because the benefit and the harm are equal?

What if I give it to a poor man, like robin hood? What if I donate it to Donald Trump?

Reactions: Freodin
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Hey, the OP asked you to prove this.

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If *good* and *evil*were just words we could simply dismiss their existence.
No, as long as there are actions, there will always be words to describe them. The only way good and evil will be dismissed is if other words are used to replace them

Ken

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If *good* and *evil*were just words we could simply dismiss their existence.
No, as long as there are actions, there will always be words to describe them. The only way good and evil will be dismissed is if other words are used to replace them

Ken

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
You set the goalposts. Just supply proof for what you're saying.

The requirements of proof are the goalposts I mean. How would you know that I had succeeded?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟37,182.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
The requirements of proof are the goalposts I mean. How would you know that I had succeeded?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Excellent question. I suppose I would have to judge based upon the evidence that you had presented. I will say, however, that I think it's something that's impossible to prove.

Upvote 0