Nov 12, 2008
✟243,629.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hmm .. I think I'd personally prefer the 'color science' link for supporting science's take on any 'color theory', there(?)
The wikipedia article referenced by @Warden_of_the_Storm seems to be more a collection of observations about colour. Its within the science of optics and quantum mechanics that the "behaviour" of colour falls out and provides an explanation for that behaviour. I suggest that while we have a theoretical explanation for colour, that is different from having a distinct theory of colour - it's just covered elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,580.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
The wikipedia article referenced by @Warden_of_the_Storm seems to be more a collection of observations about colour. Its within the science of optics and quantum mechanics that the "behaviour" of colour falls out and provides an explanation for that behaviour. I suggest that while we have a theoretical explanation for colour, that is different from having a distinct theory of colour - it's just covered elsewhere.

I was just pointing out that there is something called colour theory.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,580.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
All good .. haven't seen it or the color science links before .. so: thanks!
Lots of interesting information to consume there.
Cheers

It helps when you're an artist, or in my case, a guy who likes to paint models.

Reactions: SelfSim
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,801.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not so sure there is a difference between a theoretical explanation for colour and a scientific theory of colour ..(?)

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,200.00
Faith
Atheist
What's your working hypothesis as to
why the creationist squad remains clueless
about even dictionary definition
level understanding of basic science?
I'd guess that a few know the definition but like to troll; most don't want to know, being resistant to knowledge outside their comfort zone.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,200.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm not so sure there is a difference between a theoretical explanation for colour and a scientific theory of colour ..(?)
I think it's just semantics - the theoretical explanation is, in principle, a scientific theory, but it doesn't seem to be explicitly distinguished as such in colour science. Traditional colour theory (behaviour of colours, colour mixing, etc) is a more subjective subset of colour science - as the Wikipedia article indicates.

Reactions: SelfSim
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,801.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I think it's just semantics - the theoretical explanation is, in principle, a scientific theory, but it doesn't seem to be explicitly distinguished as such in colour science. Traditional colour theory (behaviour of colours, colour mixing, etc) is a more subjective subset of colour science - as the Wikipedia article indicates.
What caught my eye in the Color Science page, was the reference to 'Psychophysics' as being part of colour science:
Psychophysics quantitatively investigates the relationship between physical stimuli and the sensations and perceptions they produce. Psychophysics has been described as "the scientific study of the relation between stimulus and sensation" or, more completely, as "the analysis of perceptual processes by studying the effect on a subject's experience or behaviour of systematically varying the properties of a stimulus along one or more physical dimensions".

Psychophysics also refers to a general class of methods that can be applied to study a perceptual system. Modern applications rely heavily on threshold measurement, ideal observer analysis, and signal detection theory.
.. Interesting .. Sort of a sensitivity analysis technique for objectively probing into the subjective experience(?)
Cheers

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,453.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'd guess that a few know the definition but like to troll; most don't want to know, being resistant to knowledge outside their comfort zone.
Perhaps one of them could offer
another explanation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟248,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
A theory is a temporary belief awaiting override.
That's a rough approach to theories that you have. I mean, just calling it a theory means there's room for doubt in it, which means taking a firm belief in it is unwise. I suggest you approach theories with a more open-minded approach rather than jumping into a belief in them.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,200.00
Faith
Atheist
What caught my eye in the Color Science page, was the reference to 'Psychophysics' as being part of colour science:

.. Interesting .. Sort of a sensitivity analysis technique for objectively probing into the subjective experience(?)
Cheers
Sounds like the complement to phenomenology in philosophy...

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,200.00
Faith
Atheist
A theory is a temporary belief awaiting override.
That's sometimes true in practice - scientists are human too. But a scientific theory is generally accepted as the best explanation we currently have, and the excitement aroused by the possibility of a new discovery overturning an existing theory contradicts the idea that it's a belief.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,453.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's sometimes true in practice - scientists are human too. But a scientific theory is generally accepted as the best explanation we currently have, and the excitement aroused by the possibility of a new discovery overturning an existing theory contradicts the idea that it's a belief.
So that siilly equivocation
raises its moldy snout yet again.

Was there something about its cousin "faith" too?
That's another perennial fav for trying to
disparage science.

Displaying first their incomprehension of
anything about science then belittling the
noble nature of Faith they show they
know nothing of either.

A person would think someone who centers his life
around religious faith / belief would some day
thInk long and deep enough to notice something
as obvious as that there's a huge, qualitative
difference between believing that the
car will start, and belief in salvation.

Back to the actual topic of the thread, proof of theory,
we'd suggest that our friends who are so confused
should first figure out the meaning of faith / belief
in their lives, then go on to the small effort needed to
learn what a scientific theory is.

THEN, they might be up to the task of sensible
discussion of proof / disproof/ falsification, rather than
displaying shallowness and ignorance
with inane quips .

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... then go on to the small effort needed to learn what a scientific theory is.

A scientific theory is a temporary scientific belief awaiting override.

You want examples?

Geocentrism, Phlogiston theory, spontaneous generation, alchemy, how we got our moon, static universe, Lamarckism, maternal impression, Recapitulation theory, scientific racism, Caloric theory, Aryan supremacy.

Just to name a few.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Quick answer: impossible even if theory is correct.

You said a mouthful there.

"Even in theory is correct."

I don't know, but I would assume a theory is deemed "correct" if it passes (or fails) all the tests that are set up to make it pass (or fail).

If it passes the tests that are set up to make it pass, while at the same time failing to pass the tests that are set up to make it fail, then it gets the good stamp of approval and released for general use.

Eventually it gets pwned.

Often leaving behind a history of death, destruction, and disfigurement.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.