Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I assume the "your" was communal and not just MINE. I mean, what if I haven't studied the area of expertise? Why should my opinion count at ALL?

Let's try this then:

A theory is something anticipating change while supported by evidence that is expected to be believed until such change is made.

That way, if anyone hasn't studied it yet, that's fine, since it will be expected that, if and when he does, he will be expected to believe it.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟372,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Let's try this then:

A theory is something anticipating change while supported by evidence that is expected to be believed until such change is made.

That way, if anyone hasn't studied it yet, that's fine, since it will be expected that, if and when he does, he will be expected to believe it.
How does an idea "anticipate change"? It's an idea, it can't anticipate anything.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Wow.

So let's break it down:
  1. No one anticipates a theory will change? Theories are immutable?
  2. A theory is not supported by evidence? Even I know better than that.
  3. The evidence isn't expected to be believed? Straight A's on finals are automatic?
  4. The information taught in class isn't temporal? The sun circles the earth, does it?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How does an idea "anticipate change"?

It doesn't.

The people believing it do.

How many times have I heard: "I just can't wait until new information obsoletes an old theory."

I believe you guys call that "progress."

It's an idea, it can't anticipate anything.

Theories are much stronger than ideas.

They are beliefs that are taught in our highest colleges and expected to be learned, else the students will fail.

They are beliefs that are justified (or supported) by the interpretation of evidence accumulated by sweat equity from scientists out in their respective fields, and nowadays run through computers and peer reviews and the such and so forth.

Then they look forward to another discovery that will pwn it all.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟372,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Wow.

So let's break it down:
  2. A theory is not supported by evidence? Even I know better than that.
  3. The evidence isn't expected to be believed? Straight A's on finals are automatic?
  4. The information taught in class isn't temporal? The sun circles the earth, does it?
Do you believe that all evidence for something should be given equal consideration?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟372,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It doesn't.
The people believing it do.
How many times have I heard: "I just can't wait until new information obsoletes an old theory."
I believe you guys call that "progress."
Gotta tell you I have LITERALLY never heard a single scientist say anything like that...at ALL. That sounds more like people on the wrong side of science being bitter because there has been no quality evidence to support their points..

Theories are much stronger than ideas.

They are beliefs that are taught in our highest colleges and expected to be learned, else the students will fail.
But they are not beliefs.

They are beliefs that are justified (or supported) by the interpretation of evidence accumulated by sweat equity from scientists out in their respective fields, and nowadays run through computers and peer reviews and the such and so forth.
This sentence is getting DANGEROUSLY close to an appropriate definition of theory but not quite. It's the evidence itself and not necessarily the interpretation of the evidence (because that makes it arbitrary and subjective).

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gotta tell you I have LITERALLY never heard a single scientist say anything like that...at ALL.

So did scientists dance in the streets when geocentrism gave way to heliocentrism?

When alchemy gave way to chemistry?

When the Capture theory gave way to the Impact theory?

When et gave way to cetera?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This sentence is getting DANGEROUSLY close to an appropriate definition of theory but not quite. It's the evidence itself and not necessarily the interpretation of the evidence (because that makes it arbitrary and subjective).

I'll be honest.

I'm beginning to get the impression you don't know how to properly define a theory.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟248,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Wow.

So let's break it down:
It would be better to say that a theory is subject to change as new evidence becomes available. We anticipate that things could change, not that they will change.

1. A theory is not supported by evidence? Even I know better than that.
You're looking at it a little backwards. A theory is an explanation that fits the evidence. We don't come up with an assertion and then look for evidence to support it. We look at the evidence, find something that needs to be explained about it, then come up with an explanation.
  1. The evidence isn't expected to be believed? Straight A's on finals are automatic?
Nothing in science is expected to be believed. Evidence can be faked. Everything should be treated with skepticism. Our tests aren't meant to prove the theories, they're meant to falsify them. If we fail to falsify them, they live for another day.
  1. The information taught in class isn't temporal? The sun circles the earth, does it?
The information taught does change over time, as our understanding improves.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You're looking at it a little backwards. A theory is an explanation that fits the evidence. We don't come up with an assertion and then look for evidence to support it. We look at the evidence, find something that needs to be explained about it, then come up with an explanation.

Look how you worded that:

"Theory" then "explanation" then "evidence".

But when you reversed the order, you said:

"Evidence" then "discovery" then "explanation".

You subtly changed "theory" to "explanation".

Let's just let it go right here.

You don't want to vote, so don't.

But don't make it look like it's my fault.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟248,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
You subtly changed "theory" to "explanation".
I wasn't subtle about it, I directly stated it.
You don't want to vote, so don't.

But don't make it look like it's my fault.
Didn't want to vote on what? If you're talking about your "My Theory Challenge Poll", I was the first one to vote on it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wasn't subtle about it, I directly stated it.

Didn't want to vote on what? If you're talking about your "My Theory Challenge Poll", I was the first one to vote on it.

Oops! My apologies! I'm getting threads mixed up.

Sorry!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.