Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I didn’t ask you for evidence from the BOM I asked you for evidence of the LDS Priesthoods from the Bible or church history.

I believe in the doctrine of Sola Scriptura so unless you have evidence for the LDS Priesthoods from the Bible this conversation is useless.
The title of this thread states:
Priesthoods Not Found In Scripture Or Church History

There is nothing there about the Bible. I also have a set of books entitled Church History which is about the history of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day saints. It talks about the priesthood being restored to the earth in these latter days. Perhaps the title needs to be more specific. Besides the Bible only states a small part of what Jesus said:

(New Testament | John 21:25)

25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

There is nothing there about the Bible. I also have a set of books entitled Church History which is about the history of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day saints. It talks about the priesthood being restored to the earth in these latter days. Perhaps the title needs to be more specific. Besides the Bible only states a small part of what Jesus said:

25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

I will update the thread title.

Since Jesus did many other things does that mean that he rode a purple elephant as well?

Enough of your lies and fables.

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I did update the thread title for your benefit since you consider the heretical Mormon books scripture.

I only consider the Bible scripture so from my POV the thread title was correct.

Anyway it’s updated now.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I did update the thread title for your benefit since you consider the heretical Mormon books scripture.

I only consider the Bible scripture so from my POV the thread title was correct.

Anyway it’s updated now.
Well at least you are one step ahead of those who do not believe in the Bible and two steps ahead of those who do not believe in the New Testament. That being said there are those that are further ahead yet. I suppose it depends on where a person wants to be in their progression at becoming like Christ:

(New Testament | Ephesians 4:12 - 13)

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well at least you are one step ahead of those who do not believe in the Bible and two steps ahead of those who do not believe in the New Testament. That being said there are those that are further ahead yet. I suppose it depends on where a person wants to be in their progression at becoming like Christ:

(New Testament | Ephesians 4:12 - 13)

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

The BOM is a fable. I don’t need it to become like Christ. All I need is the Bible.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Facts make the Book of Mormon false.
Really? So why has no one been able to prove the Book of Mormon it false? Probably because, just like people who try to prove that the Bible is false, find that lack of evidence proves nothing. There was a great flood even though there are those who say there wasn't. They also say that there were people on the earth before Adam.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Actually you have given me absolutely zero biblical references to the LDS Priesthoods.
How can the bible give you a reference to the LDS Priesthoods? They came 2000 years later? All I can refer you to is that the names of the priesthood is the same and the keys are the same that you read about in the bible, and the offices of the priesthood are the same as in biblical times. But nowhere in the bible did Paul or Peter say "now this same priesthood is going to be found in the LDS church in the year 1830ad. No it is not going to say things like that. So if you need it to say that, you will not find it.

But if you want to find the true church, you will find one that has the MP, that has apostles and prophets and bishops, and deacons, and priests, and elders, and pastors, and evangelists etc. It will also declare openly that they have the keys of the kingdom of God, all of which were hallmarks of the first century church. So go find that church.

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Church actually makes this claim.

Papal primacy - Wikipedia
Yes, the popes of the Catholic church of Rome actually believe that the keys were handed down from Peter to Linus. But if Peter had passed his keys, Linus would not just be a bishop of Rome, but an apostle to the world, like Peter. But he wasn't, he was only a bishop. So the argument has gone on for centuries.

We believe Peter did not pass his keys down to anyone.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
If JS invented the priesthood, at least he was smart enough to know that in order to be anywhere near the organization of the first century church, you needed these things. You needed the MP, the keys of the kingdom of God, and the royal priesthood for every worthy man. Every man that wanted to hold that priesthood would be an apostle or a bishop or and elder etc. These are found in the first century church and should be found in the true church today. Go find that church?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Read the entire book of Hebrews. I already gave you a link to this.

You claim that Jesus ordained his disciples to the Melchizedek Priesthood but I am asking you where is that written and where is the evidence of that? Lies.
You will not find in the scriptures that Jesus ordained his apostles with the MP. It does imply that though. When he ordained them, Jesus gave them power to preach and heal the sick etc. This power is the same power that Jesus had and he gave it to them in order for them to grow and preside over all things pertaining to the church.

Hebrews 3:1 King James Version (KJV)
3 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus.

The apostleship was a heavenly calling. Jesus was an Apostle and he was also the High Priest of the MP, and the 12 were if his same profession. In order to be of the same profession, they needed both to be apostles and to have the MP, just like their like their leader Jesus Christ.

Therefor the implication is that when Jesus ordained them, he gave them his power of the apostleship and his power of the MP.

It is interesting to note that Jesus was not the only one to hold the MP up to the time he ordained his 12 apostles. There was another man that held the MP, and that was Melchizedek himself. So at the time Jesus ordained his a apostles, there were 2 people that held the MP, an d after he ordained them, there were 14 that held the MP and soon there would be thousands as the MP was the same as the royal priesthood that Peter talked about, that all worthy members may hold and act upon in preaching, and baptizing, and healing the sick etc. The power to do these things is encompassed in the MP.

The same MP that we hold in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints today.

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
No you haven't! The Royal priesthood is every follower of Christ! You have ben shown that and refuse to see it.
It is not every follower of Chrst. It is every worthy male follower of Christ.

A lot of men in the first century were ordained to the office of apostle, and elder, and bishop, and priest etc. and was given the royal priesthood. Not all men decided to take upon themselves the higher calling of Royal/MP priesthood. And the priesthood was not available to women. Name me 1 woman before 1850ad that held the priesthood?

In fact by 70ad, after the apostles were killed, there became a professional clergy class of men, and not all men were able to hold the priesthood unless you were of this class.

So no, Jesus meant for all worthy men to hold the MP/royal priesthood, but not all took advantage, and then there came a time that access to the priesthood was denied.

The reformers then denied that the priesthood was necessary and rejected the royal/MP. After 500 years, this is the result of the genius Martin Luther. Your statement sums it up. There is no priesthood needed today. What happened Jesus's royal priesthood to all people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The BOM is a fable. I don’t need it to become like Christ. All I need is the Bible.
You did not answer my question about a scripture that says the priesthood is not necessary any longer. Please find that scripture for me. Thank you.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It is not every follower of Chrst. It is every worthy male follower of Christ.

A lot of men in the first century were ordained to the office of apostle, and elder, and bishop, and priest etc. and was given the royal priesthood. Not all men decided to take upon themselves the higher calling of Royal/MP priesthood. And the priesthood was not available to women. Name me 1 woman before 1850ad that held the priesthood?

In fact by 70ad, after the apostles were killed, there became a professional clergy class of men, and not all men were able to hold the priesthood unless you were of this class.

So no, Jesus meant for all worthy men to hold the MP/royal priesthood, but not all took advantage, and then there came a time that access to the priesthood was denied.

The reformers then denied that the priesthood was necessary and rejected the royal/MP. After 500 years, this is the result of the genius Martin Luther. Your statement sums it up. There is no priesthood needed today. What happened Jesus's royal priesthood to all people?

No---all are a royal priest, the whole nation it says!

Gal_3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
So where do we stand?

The same. You say BOM --and all of JS writings--- are of God---we say they are not. Scripture says they ar not for they do not follow what the scriptures say. Not one oif his bizarre theories are mentioned in the bible. His is not of \god, so you are free, of course to believe whatever you want. When the Holy Spirit has been ignored, after a while, He is grieved away.

2Th 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Upvote 0