Patrisitic Christianity

R

Rightglory

DanielRB,
On the contrary, I believe it firmly. It says concerning the Church:
You don't put an asterisk on the statment:
I believe in One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church?
You have already denied that you believe that Christ is that Church. Here is states it quite unequivically.
do you believe the Church is catholic? I do not know of one protestant that actually believes this. At least, the way the writers of that Creed understood these terms.
I'll leave it for you to explain your understanding of ONE, Holy and Apostolic.
It does not say that the Church is Christ, it does not say it is infallible, it does not even say it is the body or bride of Christ, which would be biblical and entirely true. It says it is holy, catholic and apostolic. The saints of old were holy, but not infallible.
That is your definition of the terms. It is not the understanding of the writers. The saints of old and all the saints since are corporately infallible. They are ONE Body, which is Christ's Body of which He is Head.
I disagree. The people of God, individually and collectively have erred and will err. Christ is the head, he clearly tells us the truth, and has never erred, but we, in response to his command, can and do err--both individually and collectively
That is again your interpretation and not the interpretation of the Apostles nor the very first witnesses of history as they recorded their understandings. If so, then all is moot. the Church has failed to overcome the devil. We are left on our own, as ophans. Christ, who works only in and through men in this world, has failed to both preserve His Gospel and His Church. It denies the very creed the Chruch Fathers adopted to sum that which scripture teaches.
But I don't think that such a thing will take place, simply that even if it did, Christ's words would still be true.
I know it will not take place. But that is the difference in our understanding.
Please, Rightglory. I am not talking about denial of the Trinity or the Incarnation. I am talking about things like pronouncing anathamas against those who don't venerate icons. (Not those who are iconoclasts, just those who don't practice the veneration of icons). I do not believe it is a heresy worthy of anathamas to not use icons.
I am. There are many who deny the Trinity, the Incarnation, baptism, create many different forms of baptism. Deny the Eucharist, deny the Church, dispensationalists of all sorts, many different views of original sin, some only believe in partial resurrection, some not at all. OSAS and many more. All of these views are found in groups all within the protestant melieu. All claim the use of sola scriptura and all of them claim they arrived at these views by the power of the Holy Spirit. Every form of the historical heresies exist either as same or some variation within the groups in protestantism. This is just scratching the surface.
I don't believe the Holy Spirit is the author of confusion. I believe human beings are the author of confusion, when either we directly contradict the Holy Spirit by denying what he has said or done, or by saying the Holy Spirit has said or done something that he has not. I think either error is serious.
yes, that is the only way to look at it, not what they say. But you have absolutely no way of knowing just what Truth might be. It only depends on your own feeble, sinful, prideful mind of personal reasoning to determine what just the Bible might have meant. If you do not agree with any thing, it is not correct, nothwithstanding it is the Truth as revealed and believed and practiced by Christians for 2000 years, unchanged, consistant. That is the power of the Holy Spirit, authenticated in history, by the unchanging Truth.
That is why I believe in Christ as that Truth. It is a person in which I believe and not in a Bible which I am free to interpret to my own satisfaction.

Upvote 0

DanielRB

Slave of Allah
Jul 16, 2004
New Mexico
✟18,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Peace, Rightglory :wave:

DanielRB,
You don't put an asterisk on the statment:
I believe in One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church?

I don't think an astrick is needed.

You have already denied that you believe that Christ is that Church. Here is states it quite unequivically.

Sorry, I do not see it say "Christ is the Church."

do you believe the Church is catholic? I do not know of one protestant that actually believes this. At least, the way the writers of that Creed understood these terms.

Can you please provide quotes that support your understanding of the word "Catholic"? (This is a genuine question--I'm not questioning if you can or not, I just would like for us to see what they said.

I'll leave it for you to explain your understanding of ONE, Holy and Apostolic.

The Church is ONE, in that Christ has one body of people that are his, not many. The Church is Holy, in that Christ has cleansed it from sin. The Church is Apostolic, in that it follows the faith laid down by the Apostles.

That is your definition of the terms. It is not the understanding of the writers. The saints of old and all the saints since are corporately infallible.

Again, please provide some quotes.

They are ONE Body, which is Christ's Body of which He is Head.

Agreed.

That is again your interpretation and not the interpretation of the Apostles nor the very first witnesses of history as they recorded their understandings.

Again, quotes please.

If so, then all is moot. the Church has failed to overcome the devil. We are left on our own, as ophans. Christ, who works only in and through men in this world, has failed to both preserve His Gospel and His Church. It denies the very creed the Chruch Fathers adopted to sum that which scripture teaches.

I disagree. I don't think that the Church must have this degree of perfection in order to exist.

I know it will not take place. But that is the difference in our understanding.

I am. There are many who deny the Trinity, the Incarnation, baptism, create many different forms of baptism. Deny the Eucharist, deny the Church, dispensationalists of all sorts, many different views of original sin, some only believe in partial resurrection, some not at all. OSAS and many more. All of these views are found in groups all within the protestant melieu. All claim the use of sola scriptura and all of them claim they arrived at these views by the power of the Holy Spirit. Every form of the historical heresies exist either as same or some variation within the groups in protestantism. This is just scratching the surface.
yes, that is the only way to look at it, not what they say. But you have absolutely no way of knowing just what Truth might be. It only depends on your own feeble, sinful, prideful mind of personal reasoning to determine what just the Bible might have meant. If you do not agree with any thing, it is not correct, nothwithstanding it is the Truth as revealed and believed and practiced by Christians for 2000 years, unchanged, consistant. That is the power of the Holy Spirit, authenticated in history, by the unchanging Truth.
That is why I believe in Christ as that Truth. It is a person in which I believe and not in a Bible which I am free to interpret to my own satisfaction.

Rightglory, please consider this: it is your understanding that the Orthodox Church is, corporately, infallible and that the Church must be infallible. You might be correct, you might be in error--because you are not infallible. You might have a great deal of support for your possition. But in the end, it is what you (and other Orthodox) believe.

You might not see it this way, but I believe that your choice to believe this is still a subjective choice. An informed choice, but a choice nevertheless. You might want to lump all protestents together in a morass of subjectivism, and fear that without some stability there is hopeless confusion.

Well, others will agree in principle to your observation, but disagree with your conclusion. They might see this confusion, and become...Catholic. Or Seventh-Day Adventest. Or Atheist. Or Muslim. They might feel "at last I have The Truth!!!" But in the end, it is individual, fallible human beings that have, through the best understanding of the evidence that they have available (or perhaps for baser reasons), came to the conclusion that they (currently) have.

Am I saying "it's all relative, so what's the point in arguing?" By no means! I'm just saying that even when the truth is perfect (as Christ is perfect), we are imperfect and approach him imperfectly.

Fundamentalists will hold tightly to the inerrent Bible, and believe that if they admit one error (some, even in textual transmission) will cause the whole thing to fall into a morass of subjectivity and whim. Dispensationalists will say only by holding tightly to a "plainest meaing/literal" interpretation can human subjectivity be overcame and the truth be discerned--and when this approach is abandonded, again, all hell breaks loose.

I don't see the approach that believes in an infallible Church that much different. Yes, Fundamentalists and Dispensationalists can point to awful examples of those who departed from what they believe, just as you can point to the awful examples of many protestants. But in my opinion, these kinds of approaches are highly rigid and absolutest and ultimately exalt the understanding of human beings above the Truth that we know only in part, until we see him face-to-face.

In Christ,

Daniel

Upvote 0
R

Rightglory

DanielRB,
Sorry, I do not see it say "Christ is the Church."
that is why you really don't believe or accept the Nicene Creed as written and understood by those who wrote it. That is the understanding of that phrase. I don't believe in an organization. I believe in Christ, but Christ is also the Church, He is Head over the Body, His Body of which I and all those before and present are members. It is Trinitarian and Incarnational. Ontological and organic, not organizational.
That would be like accepting the Constitution of the United States, assuming you are a US citizen, but then saying that one or more of terms does not mean what they stated it meant. We would have real anarchy in the US if each citizen could interpret the constitution to his own liking.

Can you please provide quotes that support your understanding of the word "Catholic"? (This is a genuine question--I'm not questioning if you can or not, I just would like for us to see what they said.
A little background which developed that understanding.
Paul in Titus 1:5-7 gives us the understanding of the organizational structure of the Church. The terms Bishop and presbyter are used interchangeably in scripture and in the early Church with the excetion of Ignatius. Secondly, Paul makes a clear distinction between the work of the Apostles and those they appointed in each established church. This structure is determined by the nature of the Church as Eucharistic, The Body of Christ. Two early documents bear this out, I Clement and the Apology of St Justin.
Clement describes them as a contrast to the OT worship. He portrays four elements in every Church, bishop, (high priest) priests (presbyters), deacons (levites) and laity.
Then we come to St Ignatius who was the first to use the term "catholic". What is important here is that he also decribes it in the context of the Eucharist. Care to keep ONE Eucharist, because there is one flesh, ONE Lord to unite us by His Blood, one bishop, one sanctuary.
It is from this description that he uses the term catholic. The Church, the Body of Christ, which has all the elements mentioned above, centered on ONE Body, ONE Eucharist, is catholic. Meaning in the Greek, one, whole, complete, lack nothing. this is his decription of the congregation, headed by the bishop the earthly presence of Christ at the Alter.
this also stems from the understanding that the Church is Trinitarian. That we, as individual members through the initiation of baptism, are ONE Body. We are united IN Christ, we are united in faith and the life of the Church with all others of same faith, the same Eucharist. Again, many is one. Jesus' prayer for the Church in John 17:20-23. Clearly as the Three Persons, many are of ONE Essence, the Trinity, so is each member of the Body, individual but of ONE Body.
Without looking up the quote, but the phrase, that where the Bishop is there is the Church.
Also, after granting authority to the Apostles, thus the Church in Matt 18:20 the verse is depicting the structure of the Church, in Eucharist assembly.

To give you the opposite understanding of why RCC is not catholic. When the thelogy is that the Pope is head of an organization called a church, it does nor represent the Body of Christ. Further, the concept of that organization is that all the congregations are parts, pieces of that whole, called the RCC Church. Thus the Trinity is destroyed, and it becomes molinistic. The Three Persons are parts of the Essence, not the whole, the fullness of the plentitude of the Trinity.

That is the understanding of the Church by the Orthodox and has been from the beginning.
The Church is ONE, in that Christ has one body of people that are his, not many. The Church is Holy, in that Christ has cleansed it from sin. The Church is Apostolic, in that it follows the faith laid down by the Apostles.
The Church is not holy because Christ cleansed it from sin, but because it is Christ. Christ is Holy. It is enlived by the Holy Spirit which is Holy. It is Holy in its tie with the heavenly Church. The members of that Church are sinners, full of sin and in constant need for repentance and forgiveness. Does your church follow the faith as established by the Apostles? Has it been established by them, or has it been interpreted by many others interpretation?
That is your definition of the terms. It is not the understanding of the writers. The saints of old and all the saints since are corporately infallible.
Again, please provide some quotes.
the practice of the principle was done at the First Ecumenical Council. Definitions of the Church are not innovations, but definitions of what has been believed, but not clearly defined. This principle was later spelled out by St Vincent of Lerin in 434 in his Commonitorium. The phrase which I have used often, "now in the Catholic Churchg itself we take the greatest care to hold that which has bveen belieeved everywhere, always and by everyone.
Also St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures, 18.23. "Catholicity is self-evident. It is reasonable to add that an essential precondition for that lfie, for that presence of the Lord, is that the Apostolic Doctirne tested, lived adn taught by the people of God, is held as the rule of faith.
The use of Councils is a development of the meeting of bishops to decide on many issues. It has no structure, no organization. It became simply an instrument for making common decisions for the expression of the unity of the faith.
That unity can be discerned two ways and both have been exercised within the Church over time. The Bishops can carry the will of the people or the people will recieve the will of the Council. Without getting into a very long explanation, it is the rule of faith as held by the faithful over time, or the infallibility of the ecclessia that accepts actions, recieves actions of bishops and councils. It is that ONE faith as expressed in the Oneness of Christ, as that having been delievered to the saints.
I disagree. The people of God, individually and collectively have erred and will err. Christ is the head, he clearly tells us the truth, and has never erred, but we, in response to his command, can and do err--both individually and collectively
Beginning with scripture Eph 1:22-23 The Father hath put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be the head over all things to the Church, which is His Body, the fulness of Him that filleth all in all.
That does not give any leeway in that the Church is other than Christ Himself. We are members, and members can and do err, but the Church, by any biblical definition cannot err, since it is Christ.
Also a building under construction. Eph 2:19-22 Here it is again the same description with the addition of ALL the separate building blocks being individual believers. Any believer can become rotten, can become weak, but the Chruch does not err because one member errs or even a whole section of the building, The building still stands.
Take John 15:1-8 where the Church can be described as the trunk and the branches. Members can err, several branches can err, and be cut off, but the tree does not err, does not cease to produce good fruit.
Even I Tim 3:15 That thou mayest know how thou aught to behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the Living God, the pillar and ground of the Truth. Christ as a Son over His own House are we Heb 3:6.
Then Eph 1:10, That in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth, in Him. That Church is Christ. Christ is gathering all things unto Himself.
From these texts the early Church understood that the Church is Christ. It has never been understood as an earthly organization. That is a wholly RCC adoption and has been transferred to the Protestant denominations. It is quite simple to understand that organization made up of sinful people will err. But the Church has never been understood this way. Christ told his disciples that He was the Good Shepherd John 10:16, that as the Good Shepherd, had to bring in also those sheep who were not of this fold, so that there might be one flock and ONE Shepherd.
I disagree. I don't think that the Church must have this degree of perfection in order to exist.
Well, that is because of your understanding of what is the Church. In this definition, the Christ is not Truth. He can have many truths, many variations and it does not matter, as long as there is some connection whatever that might be in your definition. Organizations err, individuals err, but Christ cannot err. It is His Body. This is not an abstract concept. It is ontological. We not only dwell within that Body, but we are also indwelt with the Holy Spirit. There is that Trinitarian concept of Unity, wholeness, Oneness.
I understand it fits well with the protestant melieu of so many different variations and all say they are in the Body of Christ.
I like to use this example in the extreme. I am going to assume that you are familiar with the NFL and how it is organized. There is an established membership. Not just any team can be a member.
On the other hand, if one team, or several teams play by different understandings of the rules within that membership, can you see the chaotic mess that would result. There is unity in sameness.
Also, assume that I establish a team(s) a league in fact, and set it up precisely the very same as the NFL, use the very same rules and regulations. Does this make me an NFL team?

Rightglory, please consider this: it is your understanding that the Orthodox Church is, corporately, infallible and that the Church must be infallible. You might be correct, you might be in error--because you are not infallible. You might have a great deal of support for your position. But in the end, it is what you (and other Orthodox) believe.
Yes, it is what the Holy Spirit convicts one of relative to faith. It is a profound decision on faith. It is precisely why I am not Protestant, could not be RCC either and why I am not Mormon, Moslem or any other faith.
Why do you think we as humans have established multitude of religions, of faiths.
Yet the Gospel and the Church was established by Christ, He is that Head, it is He that guards that Church, which has historical proof of its existance, has historical authenticity of that preservantion of the Gospel unchanged from the beginning.
Rome has changed drastically since its departure. Changes in Tradition, in doctrine, in their scholastic interpretations of scripture in developing and making innovative changes which have never been part of the Church during the first 1000 years when they were part of that Church.
Then we have protestants, by the hundred different variations, where the change of understandings from one reformer to the next, none seem to hold any measure of Truth, in that they change within their own life time. Can that be the Gospel once given, to all, for all. The Gospel is universal. It was meant for all to be unified as ONE, not being parts, all with many different forms of faith. That is why I am Orthodox which, yes, is my faith decision, has the plentitude of the fullness of Christ as His Church.

Upvote 0
R

Rightglory

DanielRB
Continued....

You might not see it this way, but I believe that your choice to believe this is still a subjective choice. An informed choice, but a choice nevertheless. You might want to lump all protestents together in a morass of subjectivism, and fear that without some stability there is hopeless confusion.
Yes, no doubt it is. It can never be anything else. It is a conviction however of what one comes to believe as the Truth as revealed in Scripture.
But, yes, protestantism has become for me exactly that, a morass of subjectivism, humanism, individualism at it highest apex and completely antithetical to the Christian concept of community in ONE.
Well, others will agree in principle to your observation, but disagree with your conclusion. They might see this confusion, and become...Catholic. Or Seventh-Day Adventest. Or Atheist. Or Muslim. They might feel "at last I have The Truth!!!" But in the end, it is individual, fallible human beings that have, through the best understanding of the evidence that they have available (or perhaps for baser reasons), came to the conclusion that they (currently) have.
That I can wholly agree with. But that simply gives evidence that all are called, all are taught, but not all learn, not all believe.
Am I saying "it's all relative, so what's the point in arguing?" By no means! I'm just saying that even when the truth is perfect (as Christ is perfect), we are imperfect and approach him imperfectly.
But it is not us. That is the point. That is why Christ established HIS Church here on earth. To be that waystation in the world of the devil. Why that Church will not be assailed and overcome by the devil. It is the Church that is the pillar and ground of Truth. Christ has already been the victor over death and hades.
We may approach Him imperfectly, we are imperfect, but ONLY within His Body with the work of the Holy Spirit can we ever begin to attain to the perfection that He demands. Be ye perfect as I am perfect. It is the Holy Spirit that will conform us to His Image. We must be willing to totally deny ourselves and submit fully to His will.
Man's organizations cannot be victorious.
I don't see the approach that believes in an infallible Church that much different. Yes, Fundamentalists and Dispensationalists can point to awful examples of those who departed from what they believe, just as you can point to the awful examples of many protestants. .
That is because you do not see the Church as Christ, the giver and protector of HIS Truth. The Bible is not THE truth. Christ is Truth. He gave us the Gospel and He gave it to the Apostles to teach and to establish His Church, the visible Christ, the Incarnated Christ here on earth. It is not man, nor a group of men, nor groups that have already established their personal interpretation from a book that is only a portion of the Gospel once given. When they isolate it from its full context, to whom it was given, and for whom it was given and use it to simply formulate their personal truth, it cannot be Gospel. It is simply man being sinful man, prideful, and arrogant.

But in my opinion, these kinds of approaches are highly rigid and absolutest and ultimately exalt the understanding of human beings above the Truth that we know only in part, until we see him face-to-face
They all exalt the human being. But with the idea that Truth is relative, respective of Christ, then one must assume that Christ did not mean what He said, He gave All Truth to the Apostles. It was meant to be fragmented, to be vague, to be in a book, left for each individual to develop his own understanding.
On the other hand, your statement will also honor any view just because it is not perfect or not quite like a lot of others, but still can be salvfic. Thus a Mormon, Jehovah Witness, Moslim, even the Jew all have a semblance of truth. It is truth as he sees it and developed it from whatever source. You only disagreement can be that it is not like yours, or not what you believe, but all are imperfect, but valid.

Upvote 0

DanielRB

Slave of Allah
Jul 16, 2004
New Mexico
✟18,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Peace, Rightglory :wave:

At this point, I have to retire from this thread. I don't believe we can get past our different undestanding of the Church.

I don't believe that Christ can err. I also don't believe that when we err we are cut off from Christ, unless we persist in that error. Because of this, such a statement "the Church is Christ" makes no sense to me. Saying such would hold that either Christ makes error, or that its membership is only open to the perfect.

Yes, I believe that the Church is the body of Christ--that's an entirely biblical and defensible position. But I don't believe that it follows from this that the Church is Christ. To me, this would be like confusing God's Fatherhood of Christ with his Fatherhood of the believers. We are categorically different from Christ.

No, the Church is not an earthly organization. It is spiritual. But it is made not only of those perfected saints in the heavenly realm, but also of fallible human beings. I don't believe that a collection of imperfection somehow can be perfect.

Christ does not have any imperfections. But it is obvious that if we are the Church, the Church has imperfections.

I know you do not see it this way, but I think to argue round and around about this would be pointless for me. I wish you well, and I hope and pray that one day once Christ comes again we can spend a few million years together, worshipping Christ Jesus our Lord. :)

In Christ,

Daniel

Upvote 0
R

Rightglory

DanielRB,
At this point, I have to retire from this thread. I don't believe we can get past our different undestanding of the Church.

I don't think it is a matter of not getting past. I fully understand your position. I once held that position.
But I am presenting it, so you could understand the significant difference in the way the Church has always seen herself. It is this very difference that gives rise to all the other differences as well. For instance, for the most part, protestants do not accept the divine use of matter. Thus this whole concept of Church is alien, water for baptism has not salvfic power, neither does bread and wine. Yet, in every instance this is how God has conveyed His Grace to and through man. Including communion of the saints, prayers to the dead, icons, etc. It is an organic, ontological, internal IN Christ existance. We are ONE with Christ in every sense of the word, but we are not Christ, we do not share His Essence. That is the supreme difference between Orthodox and most protestants.
Consequently, you cannot understand that we do share in the Divine Nature of Christ because He shared in the human nature we possess. We can become ONE with HIM. It is internal, not external.

I don't believe that Christ can err. I also don't believe that when we err we are cut off from Christ, unless we persist in that error.

agreed. But what you do not agree with is that man, sharing as ONE in the Divine Natue of Christ, see II Peter 1:4, as a Body is Christ. Thus the Church, which is the Body of Christ is made up of all human beings from the foundation of the world to the present time that have believed. Thus that unifed ONE Body cannot err, since it is Christ, but also being led by Christ as the Head.
We are not cut off unless we fail to remain reconciled through repentance. Repentance, the remission of sins keeps one reconciled to God, to remain IN Christ.

Because of this, such a statement "the Church is Christ" makes no sense to me. Saying such would hold that either Christ makes error, or that its membership is only open to the perfect.

I can understand that. Having always thought of it as a totally invisible body, non-existant in this world, have no visible presence. That the definition of church here on earth is just a physical building, an organizational structure which has both believers and unbelievers present, but totally unknown to each other.
It is not membership but the essence of consensus of that membership in all times and places. It is that Rule of Faith, which is guarded and preseved by the Holy Spirit through men, that Body. It has authority here on earth. An invisibly Body cannot exercise all the authority mentioned in scripture. It would be impossible, you don't know where it exists.
We are categorically different from Christ.

Have never stated that we ARE Christ. We share in His Divine Nature. We are partakers of that Nature. That does not equate with us being Christ, nor like Christ.
No, the Church is not an earthly organization. It is spiritual..

Agreed it is not an earthly organization. That is why you will not find an earthly organization that calls itself Orthodox. The Orthodox Church is made up of 15 separate autocephalus Churches which are united IN Christ, in faith, life and practice. Through that ONE, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

But it is made not only of those perfected saints in the heavenly realm, but also of fallible human beings. I don't believe that a collection of imperfection somehow can be perfect

yes, but, as I stated, it is not the singleness, the individual that constitutes that Body. I don't think the correct word is perfect but infallible. If the Body does have all these perfected saints in heaven and one reason they are there is because they were faithful to that Gospel once given, then we also have even more reason to trust that Body. As time goes on, that Rule of Faith is even more authentic supported by the Triumphant Church of faithful perfected believers. All praying for the believers still remaining in this world. And you doubt all that power?

Christ does not have any imperfections. But it is obvious that if we are the Church, the Church has imperfections.

But the Church is not considered the Essence of Christ. It is the extension of His Incarnation. That sharing of our natures. The Church has many imperfections in members. It has tares within it. It has diseased whole churches, maybe even whole national churches. I am thinking here of the Russian Orthodox Church. A very good argument could be that the persecution they suffered by the Communists was because of the too close connection and rulership of the bishop with the Czars. The Church was soiled, secularized to some extent.
But, that did not effect the Body as a whole. Same with the metaphor of believers themselves. A person can have a diseased finger, a virus even effecting the entire body to some extent, but the Body does not die. If a finger becomes gangerous, it is excised. Excommunication, as Paul gave us an example in Scripture. Can an invisible Church excommunicate someone? How can an invisible Body exercise any authority?
At the judgement Christ will winnow the harvest, separate the wheat from the chaff. He will present to the Father a holy, blameless, perfected Church.

I know you do not see it this way, but I think to argue round and around about this would be pointless for me.
I don't but that is OK. I was hoping it was not arguing but presenting a view for understanding.

Upvote 0