caitlincares

Site Supporter
May 14, 2004
✟63,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For those who are "mature" singles.... Do your parents do anything online?

My mom has had her own PC for awhile but I did not realize she did not do much with it.
She has some packaged products that she uses but knows little about mail and files.

Last fall when my aunt got her first PC I offered to go down and help her out.
After I did that my mom asked me to come help her. She said she never wanted to bother me.
I spent a Saturday at mom and dad's helping my mom out.

Dad does not touch the PC at all.

I gave mom the link to the singles virtual bus trip and she enjoyed reading that but the rest of the message board she is not venturing out into. And she is only viewing it as a guest because she does not want to give out her email address. I explained noone would see it.

hischildsindik

Freckles
Jan 18, 2004
Iowa, USA
Visit site
✟16,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Haha... I can relate. My mom has a pc, uses it and is mildly savay in computer things. At least she is venturing out a bit more, however, I am her techy when it's easy stuff. She goes through spurts of relying on me and trying on her own. But she doesn't chat or anything like that much. She used to a bit, but she got bored. My ex-step-dad hated the computer, he would have just have soon thrown it out the window than think of turning it on.

Upvote 0

Donny_B

Mar 4, 2003
North Carolina
✟740.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I persuaded my parents to get a computer around 1997, but only my mother uses it. I taught her how to play Scrabble online with it, and she plays it almost every day. That is really all she does on it.

I tried to get my father to use it, but he really can't get interested in it. He doesn't even use a calculator when balancing his checkbook. He does it all on a sheet of paper the old-fashioned way. And they don't use ATM's either, but use regular tellers in person.

Upvote 0

caitlincares

Site Supporter
May 14, 2004
✟63,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My mother finally logged on tonight with an id.
Before she just got on as a guest.

I set it up for her and kept it pretty basic.

She finally opened the PM I sent her last week.
Shows she is on but I do not know where.

Going to see if I can find her. :D :D

I told her about the quizzes - I bet she is there!!

Upvote 0

HoosierCanuck

Senior Contributor
Feb 4, 2004
midwest US
✟24,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My mum has been online since just before her divorce two years ago. She loves chatting and talking with other singles her age. She still e-mails me with questions or 'crisis' that she's gotten herself into....usually because she's playing around on the computer and accidently clicked on something that freaked her out. Example: last week she was messing around with outlook express options and accidently blocked me from sending her e-mails. lol!

Dad just bought himself a computer last week. He started playing around on my sister's PC when she moved back in with him and he got 'addicted' so he bought his own. My uncle is very tech savvy and has been helping him do a lot of things.

Upvote 0

caitlincares

Site Supporter
May 14, 2004
✟63,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
HoosierCanuck said:
Example: last week she was messing around with outlook express options and accidently blocked me from sending her e-mails. lol!
That's funny. :D

My mom finally upgraded to a new PC.
She was complaining everything looks different. She want it to look like it did before.
I told her she just needs to get use to it.

I send her email from all my different email addresses. Tonight she asked which one she is suppose to use.
I told her if she needed to get a hold of me it would be best to just PM me here at CF.
She knows I am logged on all the time from work or home. :D
That is finally what made her log onto CF with a real userid.

Upvote 0

HoosierCanuck

Senior Contributor
Feb 4, 2004
midwest US
✟24,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Last weekend while at a family function, my dad and uncle (the tech savvy one) were going back and forth with their usual jabs at each other and dad made some comment about 'double clicking with a mouse'. My uncle replied "My gosh, he's tried to use a computer term in a sentence!" I guess it was a 'you had to be there' moment. :)

Upvote 0

caitlincares

Site Supporter
May 14, 2004
✟63,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
HoosierCanuck said:
Last weekend while at a family function, my dad and uncle (the tech savvy one) were going back and forth with their usual jabs at each other and dad made some comment about 'double clicking with a mouse'. My uncle replied "My gosh, he's tried to use a computer term in a sentence!" I guess it was a 'you had to be there' moment. :)
I get it.
I would be shocked if my dad ever said anything computer related.
And especially if it was used correctly. :D

Upvote 0