Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone here made lefse? Are there any tricks? I tried once and got so frustrated because it was too sticky. I also found out my griddle isn’t an actual lefse griddle (although it is round), so I had to guess at the temperature. It was hard to make it thin enough without ripping it with the turning stick, too. My grandmother passed away before I was old enough to learn to cook lefse. My mom wouldn’t ever make it herself because the one time she tried, the Norwegian half of the family said it didn’t taste right (she had a hard time with my dad’s family).

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've never made it but I have some nordic cookbooks and I'll see if there's a recipe. What you described sounds similar to a crepe. Look on YouTube. I've seen someone who makes nordic food but I can't recall the name. If I'll do I post it.

~bella

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟700,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've never made it but I have some nordic cookbooks and I'll see if there's a recipe. What you described sounds similar to a crepe. Look on YouTube. I've seen someone who makes nordic food but I can't recall the name. If I'll do I post it.

~bella
I have a Norsk cookbook as well. The issue was the consistency of the dough. It is thin like a crepe, but really not similar.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a Norsk cookbook as well. The issue was the consistency of the dough. It is thin like a crepe, but really not similar.

You said the dough was sticky. I'm looking at a recipe now. This site included some tips.

~bella

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
✟700,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's why I shared the link. I didn't want to guess and I hoped you'd discern the problem through her input.

Now that I've seen them I imagine they're tasty.

~bella
I think it will be helpful to keep the dough chilled while making the lefse. My kitchen doesn’t have a great set up for that, but we are looking for a new house.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it will be helpful to keep the dough chilled while making the lefse. My kitchen doesn’t have a great set up for that, but we are looking for a new house.

Definitely. Especially with the fat content. Did you figure out the issue with stickiness? Did you use russets as well? Good luck on the housing search.

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
✟700,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did use russets, although my grandpa always said the only lefse he wouldn’t eat was lefse made out of purple potatoes.

I think the issue with stickiness was that the dough was too warm.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I did use russets, although my grandpa always said the only lefse he wouldn’t eat was lefse made out of purple potatoes.

I think the issue with stickiness was that the dough was too warm.

When you make them again let me know how it turns out.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,734,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone here made lefse? Are there any tricks? I tried once and got so frustrated because it was too sticky. I also found out my griddle isn’t an actual lefse griddle (although it is round), so I had to guess at the temperature. It was hard to make it thin enough without ripping it with the turning stick, too. My grandmother passed away before I was old enough to learn to cook lefse. My mom wouldn’t ever make it herself because the one time she tried, the Norwegian half of the family said it didn’t taste right (she had a hard time with my dad’s family).
My sister’s mil used to make it. I’ve never tried to but if I was going to, I’d try this recipe. You might be interested in it as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟408,502.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I haven’t tried this one, but it should be a pretty standard recipe. I’m not sure what measurements you use, but you can convert them on Google easily by searching, for example, “grams and to <your preferred measurement>”

Lefse ingredients:
- 100 grams butter (for baking)
- 6 dl milk
- 20 dl sifted wheat flour, plus a little extra for baking
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon hartshorn (or hornsalt) — This may be difficult to find. Probably OK to omit or to add a little more baking powder instead. Or possibly cornstarch? Not sure what’s best, sorry!

Cinnamon filling ingredients:
- 100 grams of sugar
- 200 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon

Guide:

Step 1
Melt 100 grams of butter in a pot and add milk. Stir.

Step 2
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, (and hornsalt if you can find it) in a bowl.

Step 3
Add the milk mixture and gently knead the dough until it comes together. But you’d want to avoid over-kneading it as it may end up sticky.

Step 4
Cover the dough with clingfilm and let it rest for 30 minutes.

Step 5
Divide the dough into 20 pieces and roll them into round loaves that are approximately 2 mm thick. It's a good idea to be light-handed, for smooth, thin layers.

Step 6
Heat an iron frying pan, or a griddle if you have one, on a medium heat and fry the lefse lightly golden on both sides, about 30 seconds on each side.

Step 7
Cover the cooked lefse with a damp cloth so that they stay soft.

Step 8
Make the cinnamon filling by whisking together sugar, room temperature butter, and cinnamon.

Step 9
When the lefse have cooled, you can spread them with cinnamon filling, fold them in half, and divide them into the desired size.

Step 10
Enjoy! (Hopefully!)

I’ve translated from: Lefser med kanelfyll – Melange

God bless!

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟408,502.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Så snakker du på norsk???
Jeg kan snakke norsk, ja! But I haven’t lived in Norway for many years. English is my default language now, though I do speak Norwegian to my kids. But they speak to me in Japanese. :)

Upvote 0