Southeast
✟51,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To my surprise, we had Northern Lights in the lower latitudes of the US. Yes, I know there's a major geomagnetic storm, and yes, I know that lets the phenomenon occur further south in the Northern Hemisphere. But the forecast still put it north of my latitude and didn't bother to check for them.

Then received word and saw a photo of Northern Lights south of my latitude. It was a reliable report, and went out to look.

It was mostly cloudy here, with white light reflecting off the cloud bases from city street lights. But in thin and partially clear places toward the north there was a pinkish glow. Observed it for a time to make sure it wasn't glow from sodium lights, but it was a different hue. I must has stepped out after the peak because it faded. Had I not stepped out then, might not have noticed it.

Received a report of Northern Lights in Florida, but that one was less reliable.

Reactions: JosephZ

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟234,994.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Below are a few photos I took from my backyard in the northwest piedmont of NC around 10:30pm. I'm hoping we will have another chance to see them again tonight, but looking at the forecast the geomagnetic storm isn't expected to be quite as strong as last night. Hopefully it will be wrong again.

aurora may 10 2024 2.jpg

aurora may 10 2024 3.jpg

aurora may 10 2024.jpg

Upvote 0