✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Vatican rules the Body of Christ can’t be gluten free
I'm posting this for discussion, but my feelings are that Celiac disease is a real thing (though I think the notion that all people should avoid gluten is more of a fad) and that there's no reason those people suffering from Celiac couldn't be accomodated.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"No gluten free Communion hosts"
The Ashkenazic rabbis have said the same thing concerning Passover matzoh.

It may be legal in Sephardic circles, though.

upload_2017-7-11_10-19-59.jpeg

Clearly indicated on the box: NOT kosher for Passover.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our daughter has a severe reaction to anything with Gluten in it. I was happy to see that the new church we went to had a Gluten free choice for communion. Even eating one piece of bread that's not Gluten free would make her very ill in her stomach.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Vatican rules the Body of Christ can’t be gluten free
I'm posting this for discussion, but my feelings are that Celiac disease is a real thing (though I think the notion that all people should avoid gluten is more of a fad) and that there's no reason those people suffering from Celiac couldn't be accomodated.
they have been accommodated; there is provision already for a blessing to be given, and they are able to take a spiritual communion.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
"No gluten free Communion hosts"
The Ashkenazic rabbis have said the same thing concerning Passover matzoh.

It may be legal in Sephardic circles, though.

View attachment 200969
Clearly indicated on the box: NOT kosher for Passover.

those gluten-free matzos are as addictive as crack. a little crumbly but most gluten free crackers are more like potato chips than bread.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isn't it more about the heart and motive behind the communion, more so than the ingredients in the actual bread? God knows the heart. God would understand if Gluten would make someone ill I'd think and wouldn't condemn them to choose an alternative.

• Agree
Reactions: Martinius
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
they have been accommodated; there is provision already for a blessing to be given, and they are able to take a spiritual communion.
Is that considered equivalent to the actual Communion? At my parish, all are invited to cone forward and recieve such a blessing at the altar during Communion, those too young to have made first Communion, those who are not Catholic, those who feel they aren't in the right place to receive. Because the blessing and spiritual Communion is open to all, I don't see how it can be equivalent.

• Agree
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Spiritual communion is equivalent for those who cannot otherwise receive the physical elements. The individual is still participating in the liturgy and contributing to the sacrifice (the Great Amen being the most notable example, in some traditions the sacrifice of the Mass is invalid without it, and some Vatican II types will emphasize this)

Communion's validity is not dependent on its exclusivity or lack thereof. The important thing is that Jesus Christ is given for you, after all.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,133,008.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This makes me remember a Vietnamese prisoner of war who wrote a book on his ordeal. Once a month during his 9 year imprisonment relatives were allowed to visit. They tried to smuggle in a small piece of bread, so that the priest would be able to say Mass, breaking up tiny crumbs of bread for each prisoner attending.

"That is what kept me alive for 9 years," he told me.

All I could think of while talking to him was that this was the real "panis angelicus," the bread of angels. It could have been made with rice flour. It could have been stale and moldy, carried in sweaty hands at great personal risk to the carriers. It kept them alive because Jesus was present---Jesus wasn't thinking, "Sweaty...moldy...wrong kind of flour...uh-uh..."

I often think that he was present to those prisoners in an extra special way--and that he fortified them miraculously. (They lived on a diet of raw turnips and occasionally a small piece of fish if they could smuggle it in.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,133,008.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Vietnamese POW's didn't have access to wine, either. They would be out in the fields all day trying to smuggle an extra turnip into their lodging so they wouldn't starve.

My point is that there are situations in which they can't be adhered to--whether it is people with severe allergies, people who are in desperate circumstances, either economically or due to imprisonment, etc.

This man had more reverence for the Eucharist than anyone I'd ever met--lay or religious...and now you want to tell him that the One who kept him alive in the POW camp wasn't really there?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All I could think of while talking to him was that this was the real "panis angelicus," the bread of angels.
Indeed. God bless him.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Vietnamese POW's didn't have access to wine, either. They would be out in the fields all day trying to smuggle an extra turnip into their lodging so they wouldn't starve.

My point is that there are situations in which they can't be adhered to--whether it is people with severe allergies, people who are in desperate circumstances, either economically or due to imprisonment, etc.

This man had more reverence for the Eucharist than anyone I'd ever met--lay or religious...and now you want to tell him that the One who kept him alive in the POW camp wasn't really there?
I wasn't talking about your friend's case. I was responding to the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums