Newbie Question: Why are Homosexuals so important in the "Progressive" Era?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It affects mine, if my grandchildren are being taught, with my tax money, that not only is LGBTQETC permissible, but normal and respectable, and even honored, and in fact, to be accepted as probably something they ought to consider for themselves —in fact, that it is preferable— and that saying things like I just said, should be outlawed.

Nobody is teaching that.

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
not warning someone isn't allowing them?
Failing to warn someone about doing a thing is one way one can be allowing them to do that thing. But they aren't the same thing. The verse says to warn —it doesn't say to disallow. I don't even see it implying it, but rather, to be implying that the choice remains theirs.

As a rough example, if you see a blind man walking into the path of an oncoming train, you might yell out a warning. If he doesn't heed because he is also deaf, you may feel it incumbent on you to disallow him from continuing on his trajectory, by tackling him to the ground before it is too late. That disallowing is not at all the same thing as the warning. Tackling him removed the choice from him, to you.

Now, granted, once he understands what that was all about, he may be very grateful.

Upvote 0

Kees Boer

Dec 14, 2021
Gainesville
Visit site
✟31,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it has more to do with the family. How do progressives view the traditional family? Is it good or bad for them? I think that's where the key is. It wouldn't make much sense to focus in on a small demographic in order to win a large group to win elections in a huge nation... You would think that they would focus in on appealing to a majority.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I think it has more to do with the family. How do progressives view the traditional family? Is it good or bad for them? I think that's where the key is. It wouldn't make much sense to focus in on a small demographic in order to win a large group to win elections in a huge nation... You would think that they would focus in on appealing to a majority.
The problem is, they did appeal to a majority, not by ideology, but by intimidation —political correctness and gaslighting

Reactions: Kees Boer
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

If you want one, have one. No one is stopping you from having your "traditional family" (however you'd like to define that).

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟205,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You’re close. Conservatives are trying to gatekeep the concept of family, limiting its acceptable structure to the nuclear form. It’s no more “traditional” than any other structure, such as the multigenerational homes common in Latino families or “cohabitating” unmarried couples with no children that’s becoming more popular among millennials. The nuclear family was pushed on Americans as the norm in the 50’s as an effort to sell more real estate. Now they’re gaslighting modern voters into thinking that’s “tradition” and everything else is “degenerate.”

Progressives by definition are interested in the welfare of marginalized groups. As long as conservatives are working to disenfranchise non-“traditional” families, you’re going to see progressives focus on advocating for them.

Upvote 0

Kees Boer

Dec 14, 2021
Gainesville
Visit site
✟31,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You’re close. Conservatives are trying to gatekeep the concept of family, limiting its acceptable structure to the nuclear form. It’s no more “traditional” than any other structure, such as the multigenerational homes common in Latino families or “cohabitating” unmarried couples with no children that’s becoming more popular among millennials. The nuclear family was pushed on Americans as the norm in the 50’s as an effort to sell more real estate. Now they’re gaslighting modern voters into thinking that’s “tradition” and everything else is “degenerate.”

Progressives by definition are interested in the welfare of marginalized groups. As long as conservatives are working to disenfranchise non-“traditional” families, you’re going to see progressives focus on advocating for them.
Actually God made the family like that.... Way before the fifties.... I'm a missionary, but I do have a Real Estate license. Trust me, it has nothing to do with Real Estate in the fifties.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,219,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone,
What is the point of having "gays/homosexuals" at the forefront of a political movement?

I'm not talking about the "lifestyle" of this individuals, whenever or not what they are doing is moral or not although it might come off that way. What I'm trying to get at is why the "Current Establishment" needs to gays/lesbians everywhere. For instance, you can go to the bank and they'll have ads of homosexuals. I've seen young people today and they open an app for ordering food and they'll have that as well.
I don't know that it's necessarily at the forefront of a movement or if "it's everywhere".

A percentage of the population is gay, therefore, a percentage of ad portrayals and TV show characters will be...and in the political realm, a percentage of public policy will be aimed at addressing issues for that group just like any other group.

There are themes that are much more pervasive (in terms of being statistically over-represented) in TV shows and commercials

For instance, the theme of "dudes watching sports" in pizza commercials.
The theme of "ladies want to shop" in sitcoms
The theme of "nerdy kids likes video games" in shows
etc...

...and there are policy initiatives (from a partisan perspective) in other realms that are more disproportionate.
For instance, only 64% of the population is Christian, yet nearly 100% of GOP politicians promote "Christian Values" are part of their platform

While it's usually the left that tends to be the side that's over-sensitive about things, I think this is one of those instances where the conservative side tends to be over-sensitive. For instance, 1 out of every 10 commercials depicting a gay couple merely existing (by doing something like sitting at a kitchen table reviewing mortgage rates from LendingTree - nothing even remotely sexualized about it) is met with accusations of "they're shoving this down our throats and forcing us to see it everywhere!".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟205,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually God made the family like that.... Way before the fifties.... I'm a missionary, but I do have a Real Estate license. Trust me, it has nothing to do with Real Estate in the fifties.
There’s that gaslighting in action.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0