New Here ... Support Greatly Needed!

Dee54

Oct 12, 2006
✟15,214.00
Faith
Christian
Hello,

I'm new here ... and REALLY need support and perhaps a bit of guidance as I make a decision and start on the journey that I choose.

I'm 54 and my husband is 58. We've been married for 10 years and separated for 2 1/2 years. Yes I know, that's a LONG time. This is a second marriage for us both. My first husband cheated on me and was an alcoholic, and was beginning to be abusive to me and our sons, so I left and we eventually divorced.

My present husband and I have had problems from the start. I take the blame for allot of that, because I was the practicing Christian and he wasn't. I knew we would be unequally yoked, but love and lust got in the way of me listening to God, and so the results were that there was lots of conflict and difference of morals, values and opinions on just about everything.

We finally decided to separate with the possibility of living together again someday if things got better with some distance and the pressure taken off of us.

Things are a bit better, but there's still lots of conflict if I don't do all the work and allow most things to slide. What I mean by that is, my husband is very passive/agressive and won't own any part of his share of the problems, and so I shoulder most of it and it's taken it's toll on me both physically and emotionally.

He tells me he still loves me and is IN love with me, and it's the same for me .. there has been NO infidelity that "I" know of, and none on my part. We continue to see each other 2-3 times a week, but there has been, up until a few weeks ago, allot of friction and problems.

It's hard to go into everything in the first post, but let me try to cover a few things:

I don't feel he has very much respect for me, he's always late, doesn't call me when he says he will, doesn't keep in touch about things, and just pretty much lives his life according to what he wants to do. I'm here if he wants to see me, talk to me, and it WAS when he wanted sex, but I've stopped that recently.
He actually never asked for sex much, his level for that need is pretty low.

For the last few weeks, I've been doing allot of reading and praying. I've realized that I've been too needy, and too controlling with him. I also have a problem with trust and jealousy... so I don't trust him much, and that's one area that really bothers him. Of course, I have to say, he did cheat on his first wife several times, and so I hold that in my head and it scares me. He's also a 'looker' and sometimes I'd call it 'gawking'. He tends to look allot and over and over at certain women sometimes, and that really hurts me. I've told him in many different ways and many different times, but he continues to do it. He of course, has the 'worldy' opinion that he's only looking and not touching.

So this brings me to today, and after praying and reading, I've been trying to be more unavailable, not calling him as much, not asking as many questions or showing him I doubt him. It's VERY hard for me, because it's one of the things that is a part of who I am, and have been for so long, that I have to really work on it.

On the other hand, I think 2 1/2 years is too long for a separation, and I really do want to make some final decision on our future very soon. I've been trying to show him a better side of me for awhile, so he can know that I'll be a better wife this time, and then want to talk to him about living together again.

I know what God says about this, I either stay single or go back to him ... so if I bring up the subject of going back, and he won't do it .. I've decided that I'm going to move to where my sons are and live near them.

I've given this 2 1/2 years, I've worked allot on myself, and am still working more. I start counseling this coming week, lost weight, stopped the things that annoyed him, and I've been 100% faithful. He's done very little in changing the things that annoy, hurt of disrespect me.
So I'm not sure where this will lead .. or exactly what God wants from me, but I'm doing my best.

Also, I have Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome, Menier's Disease, Scoliosis and Deteriation of the Spine, Depression, possible Lupus (they're not sure yet), had major surgery 6 months ago and am going throuh Menopause!

I have allot on my plate! I'm doing the best I can ... and it hurts me that he's not more empathetic, but he's not. He's very UNcaring when it comes to my health. He won't cook, do housework of any kind, and is NOT there for me when I'm sick. I know that God tells me to still be loving as I can and allow Him to take care of it, but I'm really scared to move in with him again.

Soooo ... all this said, I'd love to hear from women and men alike, as to what your thoughts are on this. I could really use support and Christian guidance, as I go along.

Thank you so much for listening to all of this. Hope to get to know you all better. :)

Hugs,
Dee

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Scriptures says that you should be reconciled to your husband, unless he wants to leave you. He is an unbeliever. Read 1 Corinthians on this matter.

Are you in therapy? You may want to consider it. You have a few major health issues to learn to cope with, plus you need to learn to cope with your husband's behaviors.

Is he willing to do marital therapy? That could help a lot.

Hope you are able to stay strong through all of this.

Hugs,
Trish

Upvote 0

0145xyz

Veteran
Aug 31, 2006
Northern Michigan
✟18,259.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
sounds like an ended relationship to me.

i mean, if you could erase all the past and just met him now-would you pursue a relationship with him?

how about this, can you be a better christian/serve God better with him or w/o him?

does he overall make your life better or worse? (considering all things)

and what you said in the chatbox about him not taking showers and having bad teeth and getting angry easy, really seems to be all red flags to me.

it's a hard decision, but because you aren't already back with him, makes me think you don't want to be back with him. 2.5 years is a long time. I don't know, just my opinon.

God loves you. He doesn't want you to be miserable or stuck in a bad situation. He wants you to love and serve Him, would that be easier with or without your man?

and he won't even move closer to your doctors because of cats(and so you choose not to live with him because of that reason)? he's obviously not showing much love for you.

Upvote 0

Dee54

Oct 12, 2006
✟15,214.00
Faith
Christian
Scriptures says that you should be reconciled to your husband, unless he wants to leave you. He is an unbeliever. Read 1 Corinthians on this matter.

Yes, I'm familiar with that scripture, but for a long time he's been saying that he thinks we should go our separate ways. He's been thinking all along that we're too different to make this work (the worlds way of thinking).

Just recently, I"ve been putting into practice ... a bit of letting go, detaching ... and not complaining, pointing out faults, etc. .. and it seems a wee bit better. I still love him of course, but I'm trying not to call all the time, nag him .. etc.

Are you in therapy? You may want to consider it. You have a few major health issues to learn to cope with, plus you need to learn to cope with your husband's behaviors.

I start therapy this coming week.

He may be, he did try a few times a few years ago, didn't do much good, but then, we didn't have a very good counselor. I want to go by myself for a few times first .. then ask him again.

Thank you .. some of the hard situations are him not keeping himself clean, teeth, body, etc. He doesn't take showers very often ... and wears the same work uniform all the time when he visits.

What I find difficult is what to do at this point. He spends most of his time at his brother's house, and all though he does spend time with me, his brother seems to come first in most things.

I'd like to live with him again, but he'd have to move into my apt, since his house is rented and way too far away from my doctors, family etc.

He has 5 cats and I'm not sure he'd give them up to live here. We could rent a new house ... but then I'd have to get off SSI and that would be scary for me.

There are many things going on, too many to post now. I'm just confused as to what to do.

Thanks so much for replying! Hope to have more responses soon. :)

Hugs,
Dee

Upvote 0

novi12

Aug 3, 2006
✟15,338.00
Faith
Christian
Dee obey the word of God ... What God unites Man shall not divide.... So go back to him humble urself and forgive him...... Go for reconcilation like what others has said......
Lord Jesus cover Dee with ur precious Blood and shine on her ur heavenly light so that she takes the right decesion according to ur will Amen

Upvote 0

Deborah6763

Jul 22, 2006
near the beach
✟15,242.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dee obey the word of God ... What God unites Man shall not divide.... So go back to him humble urself and forgive him...... Go for reconcilation like what others has said......
Lord Jesus cover Dee with ur precious Blood and shine on her ur heavenly light so that she takes the right decesion according to ur will Amen
You know what the scripture says. But God does NOT call you to live with an uncaring slob. Sorry, but that seems like the truth. Do you have a personal support group?

call on your close friends. Have you talked to your minister?

blessings to you! I know this is really difficult.

Upvote 0

Dee54

Oct 12, 2006
✟15,214.00
Faith
Christian
blessings to you! I know this is really difficult.[/quote]
You know what the scripture says. But God does NOT call you to live with an uncaring slob.

I'm not being sarcastic here at all .... trust me, but I'd really like you to point me to the area in the Bible that states this.

Sorry, but that seems like the truth. Do you have a personal support group?

Not much support now, no. I have 3 sisters, one I don't get along with, the second doesn't like to discuss it with me much, the third is way too busy with her life.

call on your close friends.

At this time, I have no close friends.

Have you talked to your minister?

A few years ago, yes ... it did not go well. He didn't seem to want to get involved.

Thank you.[/quote]

Upvote 0

kanga22

Jul 19, 2004
Michigan
✟16,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi Dee,
I'm 39 and my husband of twenty years and I have been going through some hellish times just recently and out of the blue. I felt like he just ripped my heart right out of my chest when he told me he wanted to find someone else because he would rather die than go on like we were.

While I was walking around like a zombie having a pity party for myself I spotted the perfect book. I don't know if the author is a Christian, but he is very wise and encouraging. The book is called "It's Called a Breakup because it's Broken by Greg Behrendt and Amiira Ruotola-Behrendt. These two have a solid handle on the pain of a broken heart. This book probably kept me alive and in touch with my sanity. I didn't have a friend or relative I could turn to, so this book was it for me. Greg Behrendt also has a new talk show. Catch it sometime and you will see how wise this guy is.

I prayed for God to tell me whether to throw up my hands and grant my husband a divorce or try to reconcile. My answer came when I had accepted the direction of divorce and was discussing the details (in a calm rational state of mind) with my husband. Somehow the conversation turned to talking about Jesus as a personal Savior, and suddenly the mood between us changed. Currently, we are on the path of reconciliation and the improvement of our relationship.

My husband is also an unbeliever, but God can still work in his life. God will work out everything for your good. Remember that He has a better plan for your life than what you are living now. God loves you, respects you, and appreciates you. You deserve that attitude from everyone else in your life as well.

Give it all to God and be willing to let Him lead you where He wants you to go. You will be amazed at the results. May you be blessed by our Lord and Savior. Take care of yourself and get your strength from Him. "God can turn your mess into a miracle." Joyce Meyer

Upvote 0
R

Receiver

... I have Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome, Menier's Disease, Scoliosis and Deteriation of the Spine, Depression, possible Lupus (they're not sure yet), had major surgery 6 months ago and am going throuh Menopause!
The church I'm in believes in receiving what all trhen discuiples got in Acts 2. We find that amazing healings follow:

Meniers

Bad back

Slipped disc

etc

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
DEE,
So sorry your in that hard of a place.
I guess I'd say not to move back in with him till he changes to a way that is more acceptable to you. As in he is kinder and more loving to you. If things aren't good with you two having this space then I'm pretty sure they will get worse when you are living together. More tension between you I feel would not be good for your health that is strained anyways.
So I'd say try the councilor first. Make sure you find a good one, then when the councilor feels its good for him/her to talk with your husband invite him to see the councilor. If you see progress only then would I say think about moving in.

Hope this helps some.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You know what the scripture says. But God does NOT call you to live with an uncaring slob.

I'm not being sarcastic here at all .... trust me, but I'd really like you to point me to the area in the Bible that states this.

If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, 2 and if after she leaves his house she becomes the wife of another man, 3 and her second husband dislikes her and writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, or if he dies, 4 then her first husband, who divorced her, is not allowed to marry her again after she has been defiled. That would be detestable in the eyes of the Lord. Do not bring sin upon the land the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance.

God is more concerned about the people in the marriage than He is the institute of marriage.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2015
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, for me, entering into a relationship is a commitment that you would totally accept your partner despite all his weaknesses. However, If you think, you are not ready to do it then love is not probably there with you so there's no reason to be together with your partner again. Remember that, in order to have your relationship survive , there must be love and acceptance in between:)

Upvote 0

Soccer2k14

May 24, 2014
✟15,117.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I'm familiar with that scripture, but for a long time he's been saying that he thinks we should go our separate ways. He's been thinking all along that we're too different to make this work (the worlds way of thinking).

Just recently, I"ve been putting into practice ... a bit of letting go, detaching ... and not complaining, pointing out faults, etc. .. and it seems a wee bit better. I still love him of course, but I'm trying not to call all the time, nag him .. etc.

I start therapy this coming week.

He may be, he did try a few times a few years ago, didn't do much good, but then, we didn't have a very good counselor. I want to go by myself for a few times first .. then ask him again.

Thank you .. some of the hard situations are him not keeping himself clean, teeth, body, etc. He doesn't take showers very often ... and wears the same work uniform all the time when he visits.

What I find difficult is what to do at this point. He spends most of his time at his brother's house, and all though he does spend time with me, his brother seems to come first in most things.

I'd like to live with him again, but he'd have to move into my apt, since his house is rented and way too far away from my doctors, family etc.

He has 5 cats and I'm not sure he'd give them up to live here. We could rent a new house ... but then I'd have to get off SSI and that would be scary for me.

There are many things going on, too many to post now. I'm just confused as to what to do.

Thanks so much for replying! Hope to have more responses soon. :)

Hugs,
Dee
Hi Dee,
How did things work out for you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lisam123

Nov 20, 2016
Mississippi
✟7,643.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Dee you and I sound so much alike. I am newly separated from my husband of 30 years and I have never been happier. To his coworkers and friends he is a great guy, fun to be with. But he is totally different at home. He is demanding, verbally and emotionally abusive, jealous of my involvement in church or going out to eat occasionally with my friends, taking care of my mother.

Since he finally moved out 3 weeks ago I feel like such a burden has been lifted. Like a previous poster said, if I met him today I would not go out with him.

I'm a little mad about another poster who said you should humble yourself and go back to him. The Bible does not address divorce very much but I read an article that really opened my eyes. My husband was sinning in his treatment of me. My allowing that to continue, even if it didn't bother me, was wrong. I was allowing him to sin and even encouraging him to sin.

If his behavior takes you further from your walk with God then you need to stay away. It's funny. I've only told a very few close friends about this. They all just act like they should be sorry for me. Why? I'm not sorry one bit. I am happier, more at ease in going to church (he would call or text me every Sunday), more active in church now that I'm not being accused of having an affair with someone at church.

You need to go ahead and get the ball rolling to file for divorce. It has been long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0