Neurodivergent Characters In Anime (Unintentional?)

Which of these anime/manga characters, from what you know, is most likely autistic?

• Rizu Ogata (We Never Learn)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robato Hatohara (Robot x Laserbeam)

• Gaku Yoneda (Platinum End)

• Other Character (Post With Details)

• Total voters

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I've considered this for a few others in series that either got an anime (We Never Learn) or still haven't (Robot x Laserbeam), but recently with Platinum End wrapping up, I couldn't help but recall at least a few other instances I could think of.

gaku yoneda anime.png

The problem remains of stereotyping based on presumptions that don't strictly apply to all autistic people universally, but there does appear to be overlaps in terms of Gaku's personality and such that could lead one to at least consider it a possibility.

• He has a strong sense of empathy, even if he also avoids people, not wanting to displease them by doing something socially inappropriate or such. But he qualifies this further by not really wanting relationships with people if he can help it, behaving in a way that is super efficient so he doesn't have to talk to people unless absolutely necessary

• That sense of solitude is expressed by Gaku as well, that he prefers to be alone with his research or building things (though we don't see him build stuff that I recall)
  • Conversely, he also doesn't like to be displeased (almost word for word the translations for the Japanese dub), which does suggest elements of regularity that he wants in life.
  • Exceptional memory capacity in regards to numbers: he recalled the exact amount of time he spent with a character from his adolescence many years later and in that flashback, we saw he knows Pi to dozens of decimal places
  • He does appear to stim on occasion, though it's somewhat limited in expression, a rapid shaking of a leg (something I personally do)
  • Narrowed interest is harder to determine, since he's a Noble Laureate in both literature and physics, even though I'm not sure we know much about his studies in either, it's spoken of

It's hard to say if this does indicate ASD, since there's likely comorbidity of these traits and this is an adult easily in his 20s versus the other characters being about 17 or so. And with Rizu Ogata, there's a whole other issue of female diagnosis being more difficult clinically.

The repetitive motions aspect is only one of probably 3-5 clinical requirements, though I forget how many are necessary, since initially I probably overlapped with ADHD (and may still fall under that diagnosis with the DSM V, if I could manage something with a clinical psychologist and make time).

Page14.png

And that point brings up Robo (Robato is his given name, his mother is Irish, so there's something there, I believe) in Robot x Laserbeam, gained an exceptional, if not superhuman, golf swing because he was so particular in repeating the motions so he can get as precise as possible with a singular goal he had when first starting just to occupy his time while waiting for his father during jobs.

22.png

I don't have specific notes for any of these (really should've kept them, though there may be posts on Twitter I've made in regards to that which could be close) and Rizu's is the trickiest in that she has marked difficulties with social interaction, but that's where the problem of diagnosis can come in because of how clinical standards seem different for females, even though the basic ideas are supposed to be applicable to boys and girls, males and females in regards to such things. She has particular interests (games one that was actually encouraged by her late grandmother, who actually seemed to recognize her granddaughter was different and needed to be pushed, though it didn't entirely work) and is fairly smart, able to do calculations (not unlike Gaku with his mathematical talents)

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟279,776.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Inaho Kaizuka from ALDNOAH.ZERO. High functioning autism/Aspergers overlap.

Trouble with interpersonal interactions;
Flat/detached emotionally;
Monofocus/hyperfocus personality;
Strong spatial/visual dominant thinking and reasoning patterns;
Trouble with vocal communications beyond pure utilitarian reasons.

You could also argue for Rei Ayanami from Neo Genesis Evangelion - at least in some continuities.

• Informative
Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Inaho Kaizuka from ALDNOAH.ZERO. High functioning autism/Aspergers overlap.

Trouble with interpersonal interactions;
Flat/detached emotionally;
Monofocus/hyperfocus personality;
Strong spatial/visual dominant thinking and reasoning patterns;
Trouble with vocal communications beyond pure utilitarian reasons.

You could also argue for Rei Ayanami from Neo Genesis Evangelion - at least in some continuities.
I've skimmed some articles in a quick Google search and while she didn't show up, Shinji did, though that's a whole other discussion given the trauma aspect. The lead from Pet of Sakurasou is invoked, along with L and Near from Death Note. And then there's Nagato from Haruhi, albeit there's also different continuity there

And there's several that I didn't even think of that apply for series I'm fairly familiar with

Senkuu from Dr. Stone
Mei from My Hero Academia
Jun from Food Wars
Anna from Shaman King

There is a character that supposedly outright states they're autistic from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam by the name of Kamille Biden, who's actually a lead too (however by that logic, we could find some other characters like him, even if his case is more specific) though it's from 1985 and Japan's perspective was probably pretty behind the times on autism even when it wasn't probably that discussed back then in the west

Upvote 0

Hawthorne

CF Singles High Council
Sep 1, 2005
Going to and fro and up and down in the earth.
✟44,826.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
>Unintentional neurodivergent characters

What would define an intentional neurodivergent character--a direct reference (either in show or by the creative team) to the character or characters with no comment one way or the other but written to embody certain neurodivergent properties?

I'd agree that Rei sometimes comes off as autistic, especially in the third rebuild. She's also something of a postergirl for autism in one of my friend circles.

A few I've come across....

L and Near (Death Note)
Violet (Violet Evergarden)
Mizore (Liz and the Blue Bird)
Quite possibly Yumeko from Kakegurui, though she doesn't manifest the stereotypical social difficulties.

• Agree
Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
>Unintentional neurodivergent characters

What would define an intentional neurodivergent character--a direct reference (either in show or by the creative team) to the character or characters with no comment one way or the other but written to embody certain neurodivergent properties?

I'd agree that Rei sometimes comes off as autistic, especially in the third rebuild. She's also something of a postergirl for autism in one of my friend circles.

A few I've come across....

L and Near (Death Note)
Violet (Violet Evergarden)
Mizore (Liz and the Blue Bird)
Quite possibly Yumeko from Kakegurui, though she doesn't manifest the stereotypical social difficulties.
To be intentional, either it'd be canonically stated within the source material or confirmed by the director or creator otherwise

Otherwise it's probably unintentional and/or coded, technically

Reactions: Hawthorne
Upvote 0