Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟51,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Slow down and back up. What is it for? What are you trying to accomplish?

Watts are also relatively vague measurements - it's Voltage mutliplied by Current. You can have a 24W requirement that could be 12V/2A or 24V/1A. These are very different types of power supplies for very different things.

If you're going to stab in the dark (if you haven't already), at the very least you want to make sure the voltage is the same.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟363,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Watts are also relatively vague measurements - it's Voltage mutliplied by Current. You can have a 24W requirement that could be 12V/2A or 24V/1A. These are very different types of power supplies for very different things.

If you're going to stab in the dark (if you haven't already), at the very least you want to make sure the voltage is the same.
Yes, ty i ordered it and it didn't have a power supply. Too angry because they didn't bother to tell me that so having plenty of power supplies it's nice to not have to throw good money after bad.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟52,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It depends on what you want to measure. If you're concerned about load, watts is surprisingly consistent. Watts = volts x amps, so if we have a 120w load at 120v, that's 120 / 120 = 1a. That same 120w load at 7,200v would be 0.0167a, but it's still 100w.

My thinking here is that a replacement plug would be in the same voltage range as the original, so being rated for lower wattage raises a caution flag. That could mean that it's not rated for the same amps, and that can mean it would overheat. If it was me, I wouldn't chance it.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟51,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
My thinking here is that a replacement plug would be in the same voltage range as the original, so being rated for lower wattage raises a caution flag. That could mean that it's not rated for the same amps, and that can mean it would overheat. If it was me, I wouldn't chance it.

I don't disagree with this. My question was more aimed at whether or not it would need to draw the full current. For instance, pulling the battery out of a device with a rechargeable battery should be fine to run on mildly a lower current - or the inverse: charging a laptop but not actively using it while it's plugged in.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟363,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ok you all, i got it all wrong. I need a dc 24 volt plug. The plug i found is input 240 volt, output 15 volt. It seems obvious the plug is wrong as i read it as 24 v. It's to bad as the prong fits into the back of the unit so back to looking for another plug. Unfortunately another one is up for sale and i guess i will have to afford the expense of both. What plug reading do i need to fit this dc 24v unit?
Thanks for your help:)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟363,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ok you all, i got it all wrong. I need a dc 24 volt plug. The plug i found is input 240 volt, output 15 volt. It seems obvious the plug is wrong as i read it as 24 v. It's to bad as the prong fits into the back of the unit so back to looking for another plug. Unfortunately another one is up for sale and i guess i will have to afford the expense of both. What plug reading do i need to fit this dc 24v unit?
Thanks for your help:)
Sorry, i guess I'm too tired. So what do i need to look for on the plug?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟363,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, i guess I'm too tired. So what do i need to look for on the plug?
Well it's settled, i bought a second one. It has a plug but different brand. Expensive transaction for two if them. Ebay Here we come:)

Upvote 0