Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Me and dad were plinking at my gong last week and between his M9A1 and my taurus 856 using brass plated tips in my chamber; We walked home, and I decided to inspect the shrapnel zone and found a sliver of what appeared to be a casing seeing it was brass on both sides. I would think that either the hull of one of my .38spl slugs or a poorly chambered 9mm in the baretta may have sliced down the barrel when fired. The brass was right under the plate and both sides were yellow, no copper.

Do I need to inspect his gun for damage from this or is this a normal occurrence?

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Me and dad were plinking at my gong last week and between his M9A1 and my taurus 856 using brass plated tips in my chamber; We walked home, and I decided to inspect the shrapnel zone and found a sliver of what appeared to be a casing seeing it was brass on both sides. I would think that either the hull of one of my .38spl slugs or a poorly chambered 9mm in the baretta may have sliced down the barrel when fired. The brass was right under the plate and both sides were yellow, no copper.

Do I need to inspect his gun for damage from this or is this a normal occurrence?
Got any photos of what you're talking about?

Reactions: 67_Reasons
Upvote 0

67_Reasons

66 pages + the Lord Jesus
Jan 12, 2021
Skipperville, AL, USA
✟89,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Got any photos of what you're talking about?
Unfortunately no, the splinter may have been disposed of, otherwise I'd have posted it in my OP. I think it was roughly the length of a 9mm case with small part of the lip peeled off at the bottom.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately no, the splinter may have been disposed of, otherwise I'd have posted it in my OP. I think it was roughly the length of a 9mm case with small part of the lip peeled off at the bottom.
Check your barrel for any brass residue. If it is 9mm, also check the area around where you were shooting for deformed brass cases.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟424,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, inspect the firearm. Is it a shooting site where others go? Could be just debri. I pick up my shells you don’t reload? Our place is so shot up that nothing could sure to be yours, ya know.

Upvote 0

67_Reasons

66 pages + the Lord Jesus
Jan 12, 2021
Skipperville, AL, USA
✟89,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
After a 6 ball session; I've found that the jackets on the ones I was firing were 100% brass jackets on the inside and out. I still looked at the baretta to see if there was damage, so far all I had seen was in the pictures I took also one of the rounds that I've used.
DSC01645.JPG
DSC01646.JPG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums