• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My eagerness to serve is slipping away.

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It was hard finding the right sub forum to post this in. I hope this is it though.

Anyways, I'm 25, I'm married, I have a home and a car and pull all the weight at my house financially. I'm a smoker, have an occasional beer or 2, and cuss a lot. I used to be into drugs. Specifically marijuana and "magic mushrooms". I was saved my junior year of high school. I know I was because I had a personal encounter with God that will probably be the most memorable experience I will ever have. I used to go to church every Wednesday and Sunday, used to read my bible and pray every single day. I used to seek him out and cried at night a lot because of how much closer I wanted to be with him. Hmm where do I go from here... it's going to be a big post I reckon, maybe something more to blog about but I am seeking advice or answers so I see fit for me to let anyone willing to try to help me out know a little of my backstory.

I won't go into details on my salvation experience, but basically this started everything. I was into smoking the reefers a lot back then, and even after being saved did it. I started going to church more and sincerely for myself. I only started going to spend more time with who is now my wife. But after being born again I started going for me. Living on my own with roommates, I went to a party at a neighbor's and they said they had a drug I had reeeally been wanting to get my hands on. Well it wasn't the same stuff. It was some research chemical. So the night goes on, I start tripping, seeing things yadda yadda ya until I start to see this vision of what I can only describe as a group of light beings or spirits of people crowding and then go to the top of this hill and then they lift up this cross and can you guess who was on it? You guessed right. It was Jesus. Looking straight at me. And it felt as though I myself had crucified him all over again by what I had been doing. I walked home soon after just feeling awkward for being there any more. When I got home I felt dirtier than I ever had in my life. I vowed to never touch hallucinogens again. I stopped smoking weed the next day. A week later I had quit smoking cigarettes. I was clean. My roommates however didn't feel the same in me. There was bad tension in the house. We were all ready to fight or move nobody would make the first move so...

Fast forward to Christmas. My uncle in law at a party tells me about this job opening at his work. I take it. The day of my interview I get in an accident. I get the tow truck to drop me off there anyways. Well they were impressed that I got in a wreck and still showed up. So they hired me. My step dad sees and hears everything going on with me and offers to take me in and buy me a used vehicle. I take the offer and work my behind off for 2 years. Neat huh? Quit drugs got a better job a new ride and a more stable home. This is the part you see me going to church all the time. Praying. Taking every opportunity to practice my faith or just learn more about Him.

Here's where it finally starts to get hairy... One day after church I stop by a gas station to grab a coffee. My at the time fiance just went into work. I walk outside, get in my car and lo and behold, and man without a shirt on looking like a free spirit without a care in the world walking by. I start thinking "my god I hope he doesn't walk over here". Can you guess what he does? Yeah he starts trying to talk to me. Said something like "you look like you just came from church". Well we started talking there about Christianity and the minutes start adding up so he invites me to his home. I tell him "this is already creepy enough but I'll come over if and only if we continue this fellowship." So we did. From there it built into a friendship and eventually he invited me to his church. I agreed. I brought my fiance along with me. She hated being there. She wanted to be with her friends and family at their church. I couldn't make her go there again so I kept going because I felt like I was getting something I had cried all those nights reaching out to god to be closer with him. Eventually it came to the point where I hadn't talked to my fiance for 3 months because I went all in for god. I bought all kinds of study resources and watched all kinds of videos and took all kinds of notes. Exegesis studies. It was out of this world. Dissecting verses word for word Greek or Hebrew translating, crossing bible translations, dictionaries, encyclopedias. We were a force to be reckon with. Unfortunately all that came to a screeching halt when I realized what I was giving up with my fiance. It had been a year of this going on and I hadn't spoken to her in 3 months. So I called said I wanted to come see her. She consent. We had a long talk and I was utterly torn that I had to make a choice between 2 people which would determine what direction my relationship with God would go. I could stay with him and continue to fellowship and feel God's spirit and have someone to have my back in prayer and for godly advice and encouragement and teaching, or I could marry her and assume to sign my life away in the name of family. Ugh. I chose her.

Am I happy I made that choice? I don't think so. I don't know where I'd be right now if I went the other direction. I've never been more disconnected with my spiritual side since being saved. I wish all that never happened because I am now worse the was before. I started smoking cuz work stressed me out. I stopped going to church because it was her church and it just wasn't doing it for me any more. When I realized all my assumptions of what my life would become if I married her came true, I pretty much gave up. I don't really care about going to church any more. I can't find another church because she wants to go to her church because she went there her whole life and they're her family. And I don't read or pray any more because what's the point if I'm not going to fellowship anyways? I resent her for it. I resent her for not being more into it the way I wanted to be. It's hard living knowing you know the living Christ but then keeping it a secret because you have resorted to worldly things to keep you satisfied because everything Christian related with your marriage is just disappointing now because you can't be free in Christ. And I'm already married lol.

That's it. I'm totally at a low point spiritually and I have come up against a mountain. I hope someone can offer something. I am slipping away into being another fizzled out Christian who doesn't care about being fired up again... it would seem.

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟328,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I didn't read your entire story, didn't need to because I determined it's what I call a "busy" story. Your mind is racing. In psalm 46:10 it says "be still and know that I am God". Since He is God He also can do all things, if He can create the universe then He also can minister to you. You need to draw nearer to God so He can draw nearer to you, you need to be still and know He is God so you can hear Him. Come to Him humbly and without mushrooms, let Him speak to your heart..

FWIW many of us have started out on fire for God when we first discover His reality, it lasts for a season and then He gives us down time where we can feel empty or as if He isn't working but He is working. Moses had a time in the desert for 40 years, He too had heard from God, that He would be the leader of the jews. Trying to do things his way Moses failed, he had to flee to the desert and just be still while God aligned everyone else to listen to Moses upon his return. Moses felt as if He had failed but one day after 40 years passed God came to Moses and said "now go lead them and do it My way ". Amen

Reactions: Valetic
Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I didn't read your entire story, didn't need to because I determined it's what I call a "busy" story. Your mind is racing. In psalm 46:10 it says "be still and know that I am God". Since He is God He also can do all things, if He can create the universe then He also can minister to you. You need to draw nearer to God so He can draw nearer to you, you need to be still and know He is God so you can hear Him. Come to Him humbly and without mushrooms, let Him speak to your heart..

FWIW many of us have started out on fire for God when we first discover His reality, it lasts for a season and then He gives us down time where we can feel empty or as if He isn't working but He is working. Moses had a time in the desert for 40 years, He too had heard from God, that He would be the leader of the jews. Trying to do things his way Moses failed, he had to flee to the desert and just be still while God aligned everyone else to listen to Moses upon his return. Moses felt as if He had failed but one day after 40 years passed God came to Moses and said "now go lead them and do it My way ". Amen

Be still and know that he is God.. that was my motto when I was all in for God during the main point of my story. I am clean from drugs by the way for almost 5 years now. Maybe you're right. I have too much going on, too many issues to work through for some post on a forum to help me in an ongoing way. I started trying to reignite my passion today. I know whenever I experienced deliverance from drugs it strengthened me and moved me closer to the way. I don't really know what God wants with me at this point in my life. I work all the time and I'm in the middle of a career change so I can be financially independent. Idk I'll just have to wait and see. It just feels like I don't know how to be a Christian sometimes. I don't know how to sell people (or lead them if you will) to Christ. The only real platform people have for deliverance and salvation for others in America is the church. Other than that it just seems like these occurrences are few and far between, at least in my tiny introverted life's perspective.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟328,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We are to be a witness and a testimony, it isn't so much what we say but the Holy Spirit rides on our words. The person we spoke to is now a candidate for the Holy Spirit to do the work and open their ears and eyes, give them a will to learn more. And that learning may well not be from you but you planted the seed in your testimony. Don't underestimate your simple kindness and quiet testimony to someone.

I had to simplify my life when I came to Jesus in 1979 @ 29 yo, I just worked out a way and the HS met me in it, it was life changing and the rewards are many, He then showed me things and music came to me literally, it spills out on my keyboard today. Piano and music replaced two jobs and drag racing automobiles on weekends, He brought me peace in my heart and how to do it with one 45 hour job. I'm now retired and He places on my heart divine appointments, I just show up when the person is placed on my heart...... The "work" is not yours but that of God.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valetic
Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We are to be a witness and a testimony, it isn't so much what we say but the Holy Spirit rides on our words. The person we spoke to is now a candidate for the Holy Spirit to do the work and open their ears and eyes, give them a will to learn more. And that learning may well not be from you but you planted the seed in your testimony. Don't underestimate your simple kindness and quiet testimony to someone.

I had to simplify my life when I came to Jesus in 1979 @ 29 yo, I just worked out a way and the HS met me in it, it was life changing and the rewards are many, He then showed me things and music came to me literally, it spills out on my keyboard today. Piano and music replaced two jobs and drag racing automobiles on weekends, He brought me peace in my heart and how to do it with one 45 hour job. I'm now retired and He places on my heart divine appointments, I just show up when the person is placed on my heart...... The "work" is not yours but that of God.

That's inspiring. I wish it was that easy for me. I'm actually planning on going to church tomorrow for the first time in a while. This website has helped me reignite the spark. I'm actually excited to get back into it and see all that unfolds in time as I walk the walk. Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: TheTrueWay
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟328,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That's inspiring. I wish it was that easy for me. I'm actually planning on going to church tomorrow for the first time in a while. This website has helped me reignite the spark. I'm actually excited to get back into it and see all that unfolds in time as I walk the walk. Thanks!
Ummm, I said it was life changing, life changing doesn't include easy choices but the choices make the change by the direction of Jesus Christ. This is a lifetime of change, I was 29 when I came to Jesus and I'm 68 now and still changing.

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ummm, I said it was life changing, life changing doesn't include easy choices but the choices make the change by the direction of Jesus Christ. This is a lifetime of change, I was 29 when I came to Jesus and I'm 68 now and still changing.

I can imagine.. I'm only 25 and it's not nearly that easy for me. I'll get there one day... Hopefully.

Upvote 0