Aug 13, 2006
Visit site
✟15,241.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 CORINTHIANS 12. SPIRITUAL GIFTS.....

Before the New Testament was completed, while it was in the process of being written, in certain places, and at certain times, God gave special Miraculous Manifestations of the Holy Spirit to help the Churches guide themselves in the Truth.

This was necessary, because the Apostles were few, the Churches far apart, the means of transportation and communication slow, no railroads, telegraphs or radios.

Ideas could travel no faster than people could travel, the Churches everywhere overrun with false teachers, making all kinds of false claims, and Churches had no written records as to actual facts.

Apparently there had recently been a brilliant display of Gifts of the Holy Spirit in Corinth. One of these gifts was that of Speaking in Tongues, that is, in a Foreign Language, probably, as the Apostles did on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:8).

This gift, whatever it was, was very popular with the Corinthians. They all wanted it. If a brother could get up in meeting, and speak right out in a language that his neighbors knew he had never studied, that would be plain evidence that he was under direct control of the Holy Spirit. And they would look up to him. Then, as now, some people went to Church for the honor they could get out of it for themselves.

The various gifts of the Spirit, some natural, some supernatural, as enumerated in 1 Cor. 12:8-10, were Wisdom, Knowledge, Faith, Healings, Miracles, Prophecy, Tongues, Interpreting of Tongues.

It is in a discussion of the Relative Value of these various gifts that the Love chapter is set.

God Bless...Dan

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly, even though I have spoken in tongues for somewhere around thirty years now, I still don't appreciate it when people stand up in the congregation and speak in tongues. I think I hold a higher opinion of people who do not do that than I do of people who do it.

Now, some of the people who prophesy, I am truly thankful for them among us.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Observances -

"Then, as now, some people went to Church for the honor they could get out of it for themselves."

This was apparently the "Hallmark" of Corinthian "worship" earlier in the book (C11), you've got the mess they made out of their communal meals,and the Practice of communion, and in 1 Cor 12, you've got 'em Factioning about who's got the best gifts.

"The various gifts of the Spirit, some natural, some supernatural, as enumerated in 1 Cor. 12:8-10, were Wisdom, Knowledge, Faith, Healings, Miracles, Prophecy, Tongues, Interpreting of Tongues."

Add "Discerning of spirits", and you've got the magic "9", which shouldn't be understood and being "inclusive". we really don't know how many "Individual spiritual empowerments there are, and the "List of 9" is a combination of "Categories" (like Miracles), and "individual empowerments" (Like "Word of Wisdom").

HOWEVER NONE of the "Spirituals" (gifts) are "natural" (And a belief that ANY OF THEM are can lead to all sorts of ERROR). The "Charisma" are ALWAYS totally supernatural in origin, and constitute temporary supernatural enablements.

The only apparent exception is "tongues" which are totally supernatural, BUT for one Baptized in the Holy Spirit, also appear to be discretional - i.e. the Holy Spirit DOES source and enable one to speak (Pray) in tongues whenever, and for as long as one wishes.

However this DOES NOT indicate that a tongues speaker can give a Message in a tongue" at will (any more that he can "Prophesy" whenever he wants). This was probably the Corinthian problem - everybody catawalling in their "Prayer language" just to "Show off".

"Callings" and ministry gifts tend to be Based on the "Fruit of the Spirit" in the life of the believer.

On the other hand, the 1 Cor 12 "Charisma" are totally unrelated to ANY personal talent, spiritual maturity, or even whether the person used in the "Gifts" is even SAVED, or even human (unless you don't believe that "Hebrew" is "Tongues" for an A$$).

Caiaphas, after all, manifested a Holy Spirit sourced prophetic utterance (it is expedient - etc.) while he was planning the MURDER of God's Son.

1 Cor 12,13 is a continuous teaching, which isn't ABOUT the "Gifts" at all, but about the lousy attitudes, and Selfish approach that the Corinthians had about them - as though THEY had anything whatsoever to do with "Causing them".

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I STILL remember my first exposure to tongues/Interpretation in '63 in Brockton, MA in the big Assembly of God church there.

A Lady in the row directly behind me stood and delivered a Tongue in a voice best described as "what Steel Wool would sound like if it screamed". And when she finshed, a fellow on the other side of the congregation stood and delivered the Interpretation in a stentorian bellow that would clean corn. I had a sense that it was the Holy Spirit moving, but the lady behind me almost blew my doors off, when she "let 'er rip" -

In 1973, I received a tongue which I began speaking (still do). It happened during worship at a Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship dinner meeting. There was NO "Emotion", and it was completely peaceful, and came gently, and in perfect peace.

In the following years, I've heard many HUNDREDS of tongues spoken as messages, immediately followed by interpretations (some of which I was Burdened to deliver), and can still count in the fingers of both hands the times when there was a tongue, but NO interpretation forthcoming.

"Singing in the Spirit" is a legitimate phenomenon, which I haven't heard for at least 36 years in a congregation. It's a rather unbelieveable sound that seems to rorate and shimmer around the room, and (from a scientific point of view) is produced by many voices being PERFECTLY in tune, and then the Holy Spirit causing "Phase differences" between groups of voices. it's IMPOSSIBLE to do "naturally. It's an acapella phenomenon.

I've heard any number of "Attempts" at "making it happen" (normally with instrumental undergirding), and if one had never heard/experienced the REAL THING - maybe they would think it was "Singing in the Spirit" - but it isn't even close.

In the '70s it was hinted that the "Gregorian Chant" is the "Skeleton" of ancient "singing in the Spirit" - that they tried to keep going - after it didn't happen any more - just like they're doing now.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since you CAN'T START "operating in the Gifts", until the Holy Spirit burdens you to manifest one, there's nothing to teach.

And the burden lets you KNOW what you're supposed to do, and WHEN to do it if there's any question about that. All YOU have to do is be willing and obedient to the leading as it comes.

Simple as that.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Anyone know of any decent you tube videos that actually teach how to start operating in the gifts?
One of the greatest things you can do (I believe) is to get yourself good and filled. Get into a spirit of worship and prayer. Pray in the spirit. Get it flowing. This is the environment for the supernatural. It's right there in the warfare part of Ephesians and this prayer/worship/thanksgiving flow really lays out the read carpet for the Kingdom of God.

The Lord told Hagin (seems to be an oft repeated phrase, but it's helpful to the church!) that the Holy Spirit (through Paul) told the Corinthian church to desire spiritual gifts.
Thankfully, that means all of us.

He said many people don't operate in them because they don't desire them. I think we should pursue manifestations of them in earnest. I think if our motive is for the edification of the church (and you are filled), you can expect to step out to bless the body and have these things begin to manifest.

Some people are overly careful about 'strange fire', but that's a lot better than no fire at all! You can always preface your utterances or prayers with (I believe God is leading me to tell you or to pray this way... If you don't bear witness to it, just disregard it.

God gives the ability and is only looking for the willing vessel. I think our fellowships would have a form of revival of edification if people just prepared themselves and then stepped out.

Faith comes by hearing, so hearing a teaching on the gifts is very helpful. Norvel teaches on them. The Holy Spirit gave Gary Carpenter some very good instruction on the operation of the gifts. I have the transcript on my forum blog (under the Gary Carpenter section).

It IS time to put the supernatural back into our fellowships and not just watch it from the pew. Excellent inquiry.
I also like the planting of the promises of the Word by sowing them into your heart and revisiting them by re-affirming them from your mouth. You can get a crop growing in your heart on any of the promises and as your faith matures from seed faith into harvest faith, you'll have an expectation of what you're about to birth.

Your testimony can light supernatural fires, so go for it!

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I STILL remember my first exposure to tongues/Interpretation in '63 in Brockton, MA in the big Assembly of God church there.

A Lady in the row directly behind me stood and delivered a Tongue in a voice best described as "what Steel Wool would sound like if it screamed". And when she finshed, a fellow on the other side of the congregation stood and delivered the Interpretation in a stentorian bellow that would clean corn. I had a sense that it was the Holy Spirit moving, but the lady behind me almost blew my doors off, when she "let 'er rip" -

In 1973, I received a tongue which I began speaking (still do). It happened during worship at a Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship dinner meeting. There was NO "Emotion", and it was completely peaceful, and came gently, and in perfect peace.

In the following years, I've heard many HUNDREDS of tongues spoken as messages, immediately followed by interpretations (some of which I was Burdened to deliver), and can still count in the fingers of both hands the times when there was a tongue, but NO interpretation forthcoming.

"Singing in the Spirit" is a legitimate phenomenon, which I haven't heard for at least 36 years in a congregation. It's a rather unbelieveable sound that seems to rorate and shimmer around the room, and (from a scientific point of view) is produced by many voices being PERFECTLY in tune, and then the Holy Spirit causing "Phase differences" between groups of voices. it's IMPOSSIBLE to do "naturally. It's an acapella phenomenon.

I've heard any number of "Attempts" at "making it happen" (normally with instrumental undergirding), and if one had never heard/experienced the REAL THING - maybe they would think it was "Singing in the Spirit" - but it isn't even close.

In the '70s it was hinted that the "Gregorian Chant" is the "Skeleton" of ancient "singing in the Spirit" - that they tried to keep going - after it didn't happen any more - just like they're doing now.

Thats a beautiful description of this manifestation of the Holy Spirit.

I have experienced this type of singing a couple of times,its feels like a host of Angels are among the Church singing with you.

No one could plan this type of worship,its just a special gift in the service.

Thank You Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly, even though I have spoken in tongues for somewhere around thirty years now, I still don't appreciate it when people stand up in the congregation and speak in tongues. I think I hold a higher opinion of people who do not do that than I do of people who do it.

Now, some of the people who prophesy, I am truly thankful for them among us.

Amen,that is what Paul taught unless they be interpreted.

But I do believe in special meetings for the outpouring,or Holy Ghost meetings.

If we conduct per say only normal Church services we will quench the Holy Ghost,so special
Prayer meetings could be done.

Paul was clear on tongues being for your own edification,bless God.

There is a power in that interaction between our Spirit and The Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Observances -

"Then, as now, some people went to Church for the honor they could get out of it for themselves."

This was apparently the "Hallmark" of Corinthian "worship" earlier in the book (C11), you've got the mess they made out of their communal meals,and the Practice of communion, and in 1 Cor 12, you've got 'em Factioning about who's got the best gifts.

"The various gifts of the Spirit, some natural, some supernatural, as enumerated in 1 Cor. 12:8-10, were Wisdom, Knowledge, Faith, Healings, Miracles, Prophecy, Tongues, Interpreting of Tongues."

Add "Discerning of spirits", and you've got the magic "9", which shouldn't be understood and being "inclusive". we really don't know how many "Individual spiritual empowerments there are, and the "List of 9" is a combination of "Categories" (like Miracles), and "individual empowerments" (Like "Word of Wisdom").

HOWEVER NONE of the "Spirituals" (gifts) are "natural" (And a belief that ANY OF THEM are can lead to all sorts of ERROR). The "Charisma" are ALWAYS totally supernatural in origin, and constitute temporary supernatural enablements.

The only apparent exception is "tongues" which are totally supernatural, BUT for one Baptized in the Holy Spirit, also appear to be discretional - i.e. the Holy Spirit DOES source and enable one to speak (Pray) in tongues whenever, and for as long as one wishes.

However this DOES NOT indicate that a tongues speaker can give a Message in a tongue" at will (any more that he can "Prophesy" whenever he wants). This was probably the Corinthian problem - everybody catawalling in their "Prayer language" just to "Show off".

"Callings" and ministry gifts tend to be Based on the "Fruit of the Spirit" in the life of the believer.

On the other hand, the 1 Cor 12 "Charisma" are totally unrelated to ANY personal talent, spiritual maturity, or even whether the person used in the "Gifts" is even SAVED, or even human (unless you don't believe that "Hebrew" is "Tongues" for an A$$).

Caiaphas, after all, manifested a Holy Spirit sourced prophetic utterance (it is expedient - etc.) while he was planning the MURDER of God's Son.

1 Cor 12,13 is a continuous teaching, which isn't ABOUT the "Gifts" at all, but about the lousy attitudes, and Selfish approach that the Corinthians had about them - as though THEY had anything whatsoever to do with "Causing them".

People who are gifted,cannot just bring them fourth at there own will.

The gifts are a manifestation of the Holy Spirit,the person is merely a vessel for the power.

The gifts are for today and still for the glory of God,nothing has changed in God only people.

First they denied the power then others faked it and abused it.

But bless God they cannot change it.

Upvote 0
A

AbbaLove

I recently copied and pasted over twenty of the more popular translations of 1 Cor. 14:26 using Bible Gateway. Some translations use or while other translations imply more and YLT inserts a secondary question mark (?). I can visual these early church fellowships lasting four hours or more so perhaps everyone could participate (NO spectators).

Because many fellowships were smaller home churches I'd always understood this verse to be more of a positive exhortation by Paul. However, I recently heard a Pastor (formerly Pentecostal) interpret this verse using NKJV that Paul was actually rebuking them. Is this Pastor possibly correct with respect to this one particular verse?

Apparently, there is no consensus today among Spirit-filled believers as to the correct interpretation as it applied to that day.

“What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.” (ESV)

“What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.” (NIV)

“How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.” (NKJV)

“What then is it, brethren? whenever ye may come together, each of you hath a psalm, hath a teaching, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation? let all things be for building up;” (YLT)

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"I recently heard a Pastor (formerly Pentecostal) interpret this verse using NKJV that Paul was actually rebuking them."

The "Formerly pentecostal" status of the fellow would naturally result in his interpreting EVERYTHING he could get his hands on in a fashion calculated to be in OPPOSITION to "Full Gospel" worship and practices.

Is he "Possibly Correct"???? Nah - something turned him against Pentecostals, and now he's out after 'em. No biggie, happens all the time.

But what's to interpret??? the passage simply STATES what their practice was.

ALL of the elements (teaching, tongues (with interpretation), Psalms, Instruction) when led, and choreographed by the Holy Spirit in a Christian gathering is a "Positive input that would "Build up" the congregation.

If you do 'em "In the flesh", with the "Wisdom of MAN" - all you've got is confusion.

Simple as that.

Upvote 0
A

AbbaLove

If you do 'em "In the flesh", with the "Wisdom of MAN" - all you've got is confusion.
Thank You Bob for Your Reply. I agree, but would like some further insight(clarification) if possible.

Apparently some Spirit-filled Pastors interpret 1 Cor 14:26 to imply that some house churches were "In the flesh" in excess with the "Wisdom of MAN."

Because different translations of 1 Cor 14:26 have different meanings-interpretations is it possible this verse may be RIGHTLY interpreted more than one way? Would not both interpretations be correct as properly applied?

I do agree with you that to interpret this verse as ONLY a rebuke and not also as an encouraging exhortation seems counter-productive. I find it hard to believe that Paul was so upset with fleshly excess that he was actually belittling whoever he had in mind when putting pen to paper in 1 Cor 14:26.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

TehMill

I have a simplistic answer.

When God came among us He walked in a BODY the Person of our Lord Jesus. He healed, He spoke wisdom and knowledge, did signs and wonders, prophesied, administered all by the Holy Ghost.

After He ascended and the Holy Spirit came the church became the BODY they healed, spoke wisdom and knowledge, did signs and wonders, prophesied and administration.

Whererver Paul planted a church that church was the BODY each person being a member, the Holy Spirit ministering the through that assembly the same works that He did through the Lord Jesus and through the Jerusalem church.

Every town and village and city was to be as though the Lord Jesus was in permamnent residence as He once was in Israel, healing, saving prophesying, speaking wisdom/knowledge etc. Indeed through the church Christ IS in residence...but He is not being [yet] fully manifested.

Upvote 0
A

AbbaLove

Hear this pastor’s rebuking tone of voice (1 Cor 14:26) on his YouTube ~ “Tongues of Fire part 3 of 3” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6JplFx8qoc
Beginning at 44:33 - 45:17 (1Cor. 14:26)
“Paul is saying, Oh, puke you self-righteous people you sicken me. We know these type of people exist today and I know you know what I’m talking about right now. It’s disgusting and if you have any questions you say, Oh Daniel, that was a pretty liberal understanding, interpretation of what Paul just said. No it’s not! Go back and read 1 Corinthians chapter one and you’ll see right off the bat that Paul is agitated with them because they fell into the trap of glorifying themselves.

Is this understanding interpretation of 1 Cor 14:26 more typical of what is taught in Hebraic Roots congregations?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Matjohluk

Jan 6, 2014
✟16,006.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would love to hear someone stand-up and speak in an unknown tongue and after a period of stillness, hear someone else give the translation.

I can't remember the last time I've experienced.

Now it is people 'singing' in tongues as a rock group does its thing.

One Sunday, 10 years ago, I was praying to our Lord in tongues verbally but quietly, and when I do I feel this warm, loving spirit immersing me and is like a confirmation that I am praying in HIS will.

Normally, when I am praying, my arms are raised, and I just can't put them down. I get this warm feeling like a pair of large hands resting against my upper arms and I begin heat up and sweat from HIS healing touch.

This day I had my arms raised and praying intensely, quietly, and then I began to pray our loud with gusto, and that hadn't happened before. After I had stopped praying, I didn't feel embarrassed, but felt like saying: "What in the world did I do?"

One member of our church who is always praying out loud, and prophesying, made me thing that they were a sham, then no sooner had I stopped praying in tongues, the member began speaking out aloud my words I was feeling deep down in my heart. The power of the Spirit of God came upon me and could bearly stand.

Anyway, that was the first time and the last time I had did that, but it was an enormous lesson learnt.

Upvote 0

Matjohluk

Jan 6, 2014
✟16,006.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone know of any decent you tube videos that actually teach how to start operating in the gifts?

All I can find are sermons proving that the gifts are for today.

I have read a few books that explain them very well, is that what you are after? As for videos, if you punch into Google "Spiritual Gifts You Tube" and sift through them you will probably find some good one.

Upvote 0

Matjohluk

Jan 6, 2014
✟16,006.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Spiritual Gift of discerning of spirits is an important gift to protect the Body of Christ from demons and demonic attack. But, some undiscerning people of churches seem to carry a spirit of suspicion and demon busters, and these types of people are not walking in the Spirit of God. They begin to see oppressing spirits in mostly everything and they become suspicious of everyone, a fault-finder and even critical of the very Gift given to other, and other Spiritual Gifts.

Many seem to take on the spirit of spiritism and animism and begin to talk the spirits of dead relatives or any other spirits of the airways (evil or good) that are floating around in “dry places” (Luke 11:24-26), “seeking whom they can devour” (1 Pet. 5:8), or within a demonised person. We need to remember and aware that an “empty, swept, and put order house” has a “vacancy” sign hanging at their front door ready to attract these spirits into their “house”. This is where the “discerning of spirits is so important to a church as there are many wayside, stony, and thorny Christians who need to be set free in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ. We need to realise that as spiritism and demonised people begin to join the Body of Christ through open doors, we need this gift more and more.

With this Gift we are also given “spiritual eyes” so we can see the spiritual world of “heavenly and earthly things” within the natural and supernatural realm to discern different types of spirits and where they are coming from that may manifest within the Body of Christ. We are warned throughout Scripture of the different kinds of spirits that are working in demonised people today, such as: deaf and dumb; oppressing; suppressing; controlling; immoral; or even the Spirit of God, and many more.

This Gift is so important and a requirement for all who minister in healing and deliverance. Without this Gift most who seek ministry for healing and deliverance are simply left to be tossed around like the wind as the ministering people are guessing what type of spirit it is, as we see in James 1:5-10 (NKJV):
“5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.”

This Gift is also needed by those who minister in prophecy as in 1Corithians 14:29: “Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.”

Upvote 0