• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Ministry to young children on the spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakowskidp

Dec 20, 2004
Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟7,634.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi everyone,

I suppose I should start by introducing myself and my family. My wife and I have three beautiful children: Jacob, age 5.5, affected by autism and non-verbal, attends a categorical classroom operated by the public school system; Lauren, age 4.5, Asperger sydrome and very intelligent, is homeschooled; and Alyssa, soon-to-be 3, very sweet and very typical.

Our church is moving into a new facility some time in February (provided that the workers have finished it). After we've settled there, my wife and I would like to start a ministry for young children on the autism spectrum, possibly even beyond. Our son is currently integrated in a 3 year old classroom (even though he's almost twice the age of the other students, he gets away with it because he's quite small in size). He has an aide to help him through some of the activities that are more difficult for him, such as story time and table activities. I fear that he'll soon out-grow the early childhood ministry, but isn't quite ready for kindergarten.

We'd like some ideas from those of you who are involved in ministry to the autism community in your own church. Or, if no such ministry exists, how would you like to see it run?

Thanks,
Dan

DavidD

Jun 3, 2002
Visit site
✟159.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First off thank you for asking. I will start by saying with Hannah we took her to a special ed class last year and they just knew she would talk for them. She never did, she would sing at times but once she noticed someone watching she would stop. I say this (and I could add A LOT more) but this for example. For one to teach a child in this area especially none talker they need to undersatnd the more yopu push the farther the child sinks back into their saftey zone and no one is able to touch or talk to them until they are ready. They will hear you but it's up to us as parents and teachers to find that area of communication with them and yes it is not fun and seems unfair. Once again prayer and if needed tears to help you release hurt. Change for Hannah is still an issue at times so in that area we try to tell her what will or will not happen. If a lot happens in a week other than the normal routine she may have a melt down. So to teach other children one would need to be committed and prayed up daily. Find soft toys they can cuddle and coloring books they can write or color in. Find out the childs favorite animal and try not to raise your voice. I may have not told you anything you don't know but to want to reach out to other children is a blessing and I say thank you.
I teach a small Royal Rangers class and I am going on my third year at that and learning more each week.
Have you talked with a doctor for more information on this?

Upvote 0

rakowskidp

Dec 20, 2004
Visit site
✟7,634.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi David,

Thanks for your kind words. We're coming from the perspective of our own two children on the autism spectrum, but everyone on the spectrum is quite different. For example, our two don't have too many problems being around other kids, or being touched, but I know that other kids with autism do have these challenges.

One of our close friends is also our children's developmental pediatrician. We used to go to church with her, but the disabilities ministry broke down and we didn't have time to run it ourselves. We also have a great relationship with a group of behavioral psychologists who've helped our son tremendously, and another psychologist who's going to start a relational therapy with our daughter next month. So, we have lots of people to consult, but only one of them is a Christian.

If we do this ministry, we intend to have a very strict schedule for the children who resist change. I'd like to provide a cool-off area for kids who are having sensory problems or other melt-downs. That area should probably have some bean-bag chairs, soft blankets and plush toys. I'm thinking that it should also have some sensory toys, like the knobby balls my son likes. Hopefully we can plan it such that our classroom is in a quieter portion of the church - perhaps away from the sanctuary and noisier kids' classes.

There are going to be two tough areas for us: getting permission/support from the church to run such a class (there's already a special friends class, but that goes from age 6 to adult, and I don't think most of these kids should be with adults), and getting enough volunteers to staff it (a problem in all of our children's ministries, but moreso here because we'll need a lower child/adult ratio). We get more help outside the church than we do inside it.

I'd love to hear your input on these ideas.

Merry Christmas!
Dan

Upvote 0

Lena75

Aug 11, 2004
✟21,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hmmm, Sunday school and church issues! My hubby and I have 3 kids and our oldest is almost 9 (in 10 days :) ) He's our moderately autistic and has the label MID ~ moderately intellectually delayed ~ He's integrated in his grade 3 class and is doing exceptionally well this year at school. (which is a public school) He has an EA that he shares and he is learning to care for the other boy that he's sharing the EA (educational assistant) with. So with school going so well....Sunday school is an issue. We have a "helper". We're lucky if he can make it every Sunday. He's a married guy and a trucker. Not to complain, but it would be nice if he could be there every Sunday. We hope to resolve our issues with the Sunday school bit in the early new year. We're getting to know the Sunday school superintendent on a more personal basis as they come to our Bible studies. Right now Isaiah is not in a Sunday school class but in another room keeping occupied through toys and colouring and sometimes Biblical videos. I would like to change that so he can be in a classroom and be with kids his age. Problem is, Isaiah has been a bit stubborn and more than once already hubby has brought him out to the van to sit for the remainder of the hour. He's been having temper tantrums despite how gentle and calm we try to be. So yep. I think it's time to have a few serious meetings with the church staff and see what can be done.

I understand about getting more help outside the church than in the church! I think all of your ideas are excellent! Very thoughtful thinking, too. Our church has problems getting enough staff volunteers for all their programs as it is. So we will be praying that a better plan will come up.

Upvote 0

rakowskidp

Dec 20, 2004
Visit site
✟7,634.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
forU said:
So with school going so well....Sunday school is an issue. We have a "helper". We're lucky if he can make it every Sunday. He's a married guy and a trucker. Not to complain, but it would be nice if he could be there every Sunday.
We're totally blessed that our son's buddy has become one of our best friends. He is at church almost every weekend, and if he has to miss, he gives us plenty of time to make other arrangements. If we were to expand this ministry to other special kids, though, we'd have a REALLY tough time getting dedicated volunteers. Like just about every other church, we have trouble getting people to volunteer in the children's ministry.
forU said:
We hope to resolve our issues with the Sunday school bit in the early new year. We're getting to know the Sunday school superintendent on a more personal basis as they come to our Bible studies.
Getting to know the superintendent is a great idea! I've made a mistake or two, but overall, we have a great relationship. She even showed up to our support group's Family and Friends Awareness day. But, they still have a long way to go before they understand the complexity of ministering not only to the kids, but to their families as well.
forU said:
I understand about getting more help outside the church than in the church! I think all of your ideas are excellent! Very thoughtful thinking, too. Our church has problems getting enough staff volunteers for all their programs as it is. So we will be praying that a better plan will come up.
I wish you and your husband the best. This is really tough stuff! I have a vision for a support group for Christian parents of kids on the spectrum, but that's quite a ways off!

Dan

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.