Osaka
✟9,525.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Merry Christmas to all of you. My best whishes in this blessed day.

A question (I'm afraid this is not the right place for this question but I don't know which is): the bread dipped in wine shared in Orthodox's ceremonies has alcohol? Is that wine alcoholic?

I do not mean the Eucharist but the bread sharing after the ceremony for all people (including who does not take the communion this day)

Perhaps my question sounds weird, but the point is I can not drink any degree of alcohol because health reasons. As catholic I never had to face it because we do not shared bread except in the Eucharist and it is dry (without wine).

If somone know how is prepared that bread please tell me.

Thank you
Be well

• Friendly
Reactions: Shadow

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

A question (I'm afraid this is not the right place for this question but I don't know which is): the bread dipped in wine shared in Orthodox's ceremonies has alcohol? Is that wine alcoholic?

I do not mean the Eucharist but the bread sharing after the ceremony for all people (including who does not take the communion this day)

Perhaps my question sounds weird, but the point is I can not drink any degree of alcohol because health reasons. As catholic I never had to face it because we do not shared bread except in the Eucharist and it is dry (without wine).

Thank you
Be well
If you are asking about Eastern Orthodox practice, you might get a a better response in The Ancient Way.

The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox

@ArmyMatt and many others have always been very helpful with my questions about Orthodoxy.

(My very limited experience with the antidoron is that it was neither dipped in nor cooked with wine, but I have only been to a few Orthodox services and I am not Orthodox.)

Merry Christmas!
Christ is born! Glorify Him!

Reactions: MDuce
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟877,050.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Same to you.
Yes, real wine is alcoholic. Otherwise, it's not wine. :) It's just about a half teaspoon or less that is served.
Shoe is right, the antidoron is neither prepared with nor dipped in wine.

Reactions: MDuce
Upvote 0

MDuce

Dec 1, 2017
Osaka
✟9,525.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your answers.

Yes I was talking about antidoron. But in the russian Orthodox, which is the only one Orthodox Church I found here in Japan, the antidoron is dipped by something which tastes alcoholic. For this reason I became anxious about it. The day I shared the ceremony I eat the antidoron and nothing bad happen. Perhaps that antidoron has just a little bit of alcohol.

The next time I'll try to talk about it with the church members. But that day was my first, so I didn't want bother them with my personal problems.

Thank you again.
Be well

Upvote 0