Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If the law was to be fulfilled, then that would make many of the ordinances in the law prophecy.
Only the Father can reveal to you the hidden things in the law and prophets.
The law was a shadow of things that were to come.
According to the NT, the things that were to come have already come and are fulfilled in Christ.

Col 2:17 - "These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ."

There is no Biblical basis for the law being prophecy.
The law was a shadow, pattern, copy (Col 3:17; Heb 8:5; 10:1) of the things that were to come in Christ.

They have come.

Many people believe the law was totally abolished and made void, but both Jesus and Paul clearly said it was not. But it was changed in the sense that our perception of it is changed when we are made new creatures in Christ by way of the Holy Spirit.
Not according to the NT. . .where it is not our perception that has changed,
but it is the law which has set aside (Heb 7:18-19) and abolished (Eph 2:15),
because it has been fulfilled and accomplished in Christ (Col 2:17; Mt 5:17-18).

There is no Biblical basis for the law being prophecy, or prophecy yet to be fulfilled.
The law was a shadow, copy, pattern (type) of the things that were to come in Christ.
They have come.
There is no future fulfillment of the law, because it has been fulfilled and is, therefore, set aside and abolished.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
J

jdbear

mrs94 said,
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18. "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19. "Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches [them], he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So, what does the "least of these commandments" mean in context of the previous 2 verses?
It means the least of the commandments in the law.

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The law delivered to Moses.

That is not the context of His statement.

By saying Law and Prophets is verse 17, Jesus is referring to the whole Old Testament.

Abraham walked with God 430 years before the law of Moses and "kept" his commandments.

because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws." Genesis 26:5

Jesus goes on to say in verse 20 -

For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Then He goes on to say -

You have heard it said, but I say to you...

In saying this He takes the "commandments to the next level.

What was intending from the beginning,

JLB

Upvote 0
J

jdbear

JLB said,
That is not the context of His statement.

By saying Law and Prophets is verse 17, Jesus is referring to the whole Old Testament.

Abraham walked with God 430 years before the law of Moses and "kept" his commandments.

because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws." Genesis 26:5

Jesus goes on to say in verse 20 -

For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Then He goes on to say -

You have heard it said, but I say to you...

In saying this He takes the "commandments to the next level.

What was intending from the beginning,
I agree with you, but in saying, "Ye have heard that it eas said...", Jesus went on to expound on the law delivered to Moses, and the prophets said the same things.

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you, but in saying, "Ye have heard that it eas said...", Jesus went on to expound on the law delivered to Moses, and the prophets said the same things.

"You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder...

Do you think this law originated with Moses?

Secondly, The Law of Moses was still intact, until the Cross.

JLB

Upvote 0
J

jdbear

JLB777 said,
"You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder...

Do you think this law originated with Moses?
As far as direct command from God, yes. If you mean having been taught by conscience, no.

JLB said,
Secondly, The Law of Moses was still intact, until the Cross.
The law of Moses is intact now:

"Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven..." Mt.5:19

He then defines the law of Moses. This is the context of the passage.

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As far as direct command from God, yes. If you mean having been taught by conscience, no.

The law of Moses is intact now:

"Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven..." Mt.5:19

He then defines the law of Moses. This is the context of the passage.

First of all the phrase The Law and the Prophets is a reference to all of the old Testament, not just the Law of Moses.

Second, The sin of murder was identified in the garden, long before the law of Moses.

The 10 Commandments are Gods Law and were in the Earth before the Law of Moses, but are reveled "in" the Law, though they were given before any Levitical Priesthood, Tabernacle, instruments, as well as food laws and laws that concerned washings and clothing...

The Law of Moses was "added" till the Seed should come.

Thus it was temporary as well as a part of something greater and permanent, which being the Abrahamic covenant.

The 10 Commandments were God law before the Law of Moses and were intact after it vanished away.

as it is written -

13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. Hebrews 8:13

and again -

9 then He said, "Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God." He takes away the first that He may establish the second. Hebrews 10:9

Jesus didn't "keep" the law of Moses, for he a Priest after the order of Melchizedek, forever.

He fulfilled the Law, the Prophets and the Psalms.

JLB

Upvote 0
J

jdbear

JLB777 said,
First of all the phrase The Law and the Prophets is a reference to all of the old Testament, not just the Law of Moses.
Of course it is, but Jesus expounds specifically on the commandments delivered to Moses. Jesus says whoever keeps the law and teaches it is great, and whoever breaks it and teaches others to break it is least. I have no problem believing the law or the prophets. They all say the same things.
JLB777 said,
Second, The sin of murder was identified in the garden, long before the law of Moses.
The 10 Commandments are Gods Law and were in the Earth before the Law of Moses, but are reveled "in" the Law, though they were given before any Levitical Priesthood, Tabernacle, instruments, as well as food laws and laws that concerned washings and clothing...
The 10 commandments were not in the earth before Moses. After Adam and Eve attained the knowledge of good and evil, it is natural they would teach their offspring what they knew to be right and wrong, but there was no direct command from God against murder or anything else. The only law was conscience, whatever an individual believed was right or wrong.
JLB777 said,
The Law of Moses was "added" till the Seed should come.
Thus it was temporary as well as a part of something greater and permanent, which being the Abrahamic covenant.
The 10 Commandments were God law before the Law of Moses and were intact after it vanished away.
It is the effect of the law (death) which has been abolished. There is no teaching from Jesus or the Apostles that since Jesus (the Seed) has come, we no longer have to obey God.

JLB777 said,
as it is written -
13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. Hebrews 8:13
Where does Hebrews 8 say the law went?
JLB said,
and again -
9 then He said, "Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God." He takes away the first that He may establish the second. Hebrews 10:9
Where does Hebrews 10 say the law went?
JLB777 said,
Jesus didn't "keep" the law of Moses, for he a Priest after the order of Melchizedek, forever.
He fulfilled the Law, the Prophets and the Psalms.
Jesus most certainly did keep the law and plainly taught us to keep it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You said -

Jesus says whoever keeps the law and teaches it is great, and whoever breaks it and teaches others to break it is least.
Jesus said -

19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least ofthese commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

He does not say whoever keeps the law of Moses, He says commandments.

20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

The scribes and Pharisee's righteousness came from keeping the law of Moses, Jesus says that our righteousness must surpass theirs..

Jesus goes on to teach the commandments, but as you see, they are commandments that are greater than the law of Moses.

21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.' 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.

No where in the law of Moses does it say that if you say "you fool", shall you be in danger of hell fire.

He is not teaching the law of Moses. He is not referring to the commandments of Moses, as anyone can see.

He is teaching Kingdom Law!

for it is written, The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.

The law of Moses has vanished away!

The Law of God is forever!

JLB

Upvote 0
J

jdbear

JLB777 said,
You said -
Jesus says whoever keeps the law and teaches it is great, and whoever breaks it and teaches others to break it is least.
Jesus said -
19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least ofthese commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
He does not say whoever keeps the law of Moses, He says commandments.
Brother, I'm not going to split hairs with you. Keeps the law, or does the commandments, there is no difference, because it's all summed up this way:
"On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Mt.22:40

JLB777 said,
20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
The scribes and Pharisee's righteousness came from keeping the law of Moses, Jesus says that our righteousness must surpass theirs..
Jesus scolded the rabbis for not keeping the law:
" Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law?" Jn.7:19

JLB77 said,
Jesus goes on to teach the commandments, but as you see, they are commandments that are greater than the law of Moses.
Not greater, because everything Jesus taught is contained in the law. He just taught it better:
"And it came to pass when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine, for he taught them as one having authority and not as the scribes." Mt.7:28-29

JLB777 said,
21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.' 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.
No where in the law of Moses does it say that if you say "you fool", shall you be in danger of hell fire.
He is not teaching the law of Moses. He is not referring to the commandments of Moses, as anyone can see.
He is teaching Kingdom Law!
for it is written, The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.
The law of Moses has vanished away!
The Law of God is forever!
So, under Moses, anyone who murders is in danger of judgment, but under Jesus, anyone who calls someone a fool is in danger of hell fire? Well, I'm screwed...but seriously, if you control your anger, you'll never commit murder. Jesus ended His teaching in Mt.7 by instructing people to obey Him, because disobedience brings ruin.

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Brother, I'm not going to split hairs with you. Keeps the law, or does the commandments, there is no difference, because it's all summed up this way:

Not greater, because everything Jesus taught is contained in the law. He just taught it better:

You don't get to just make up what you want! It's either every jot and tittle or it's nothing. You don't get to say oh yeah what Jesus taught is really what Moses law means.

It means exactly what it says down to every jot and tittle.

Or it has completely been taken out of the way.

Please show from the law of Moses where it says
if you say you fool, you shall be in danger of hell fire.

27 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.' 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Please show from Moses law where it says
whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

31 "Furthermore it has been said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.' 32 But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.

Please show from Moses law where it says whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.

33 "Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.' 34 But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35 nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No.' For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.

But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35 nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.

38 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.

But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

If you can show from Moses law where these things were written,then the context of Matthew 5:17-19 will be about the law of Moses,if you can't show from Moses law where these things are commanded then THESE COMMANDMENTS are not referring to Moses law but rather God's Kingdom Law.

as it is written -

The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.

JLB

Upvote 0

Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18. "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19. "Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches [them], he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So, what does the "least of these commandments" mean in context of the previous 2 verses?
He is giving new individualized [heart] instruction of the revealed truth of the divinity of all life to contrast with the corporal law and conditional blessings of Moses. These are anti-haughty, anti-prominence instructions. Thus they are referred to as 'lesser commandments'.

Good observation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
J

jdbear

JLB777 said,
You don't get to just make up what you want!
It's either every jot and tittle or it's nothing. You don't get to say oh yeah what Jesus taught is really what Moses law means. It means exactly what it says down to every jot and tittle. Or it has completely been taken out of the way.
Please show from the law of Moses where it says if you say you fool, you shall be in danger of hell fire.
27 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.' 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Please show from Moses law where it says whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
31 "Furthermore it has been said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.' 32 But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.
Please show from Moses law where it says whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.
33 "Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.' 34 But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35 nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No.' For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.
Please show from Moses law where it says But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35 nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.
38 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.
Please show from Moses law where it says But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.
If you can show from Moses law where these things were written,then the context of Matthew 5:17-19 will be about the law of Moses,if you can't show from Moses law where these things are commanded then THESE COMMANDMENTS are not referring to Moses law but rather God's Kingdom Law.
I've already answered your objections to every point using Jesus' summation of the law. Verbatim is the same tactic used by those who hated the Lord. Moses said (or never said), was a favorite of the scribes, who claimed to be obedient to the law, but were not. The meaning of the law and the prophets is love, as Jesus said, but you won't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
JLB777 said,
as it is written -
The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.
The Kingdom spoken of by the law and prophets is here. And?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

"And it came to pass when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine, for he taught them as one having authority and not as the scribes." Mt.7:28-29

So, under Moses, anyone who murders is in danger of judgment, but under Jesus, anyone who calls someone a fool is in danger of hell fire? Well, I'm screwed...but seriously, if you control your anger, you'll never commit murder. Jesus ended His teaching in Mt.7 by instructing people to obey Him, because disobedience brings ruin.

I've already answered your objections to every point using Jesus' summation of the law. Verbatim is the same tactic used by those who hated the Lord. Moses said (or never said), was a favorite of the scribes, who claimed to be obedient to the law, but were not. The meaning of the law and the prophets is love, as Jesus said, but you won't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
The Kingdom spoken of by the law and prophets is here. And?

I've already answered your objections to every point using Jesus' summation of the law.

You answered nothing.

Jesus taught Kingdom Law not Moses Law.

The Law of Moses has been taken away -

The Law of Moses was temporary -

19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. Galatians 3:19

What is left is God's Kingdom laws that Abraham walked in -

Abraham walked in God's law and commandments 430 years before the law of Moses.

Please try to remain calm and use scripture. Please don't insult me or accuse me.

You don't know me. Be as straight forward as you like but plaes use scripture to validate your points.

Thanks JLB

JLB

Upvote 0
J

jdbear

JLB777 said,
You answered nothing.
You were answered. You just keep repeating the same thing, instead of examining the answer.
JLB said,
Jesus taught Kingdom Law not Moses Law.
"Kingdom law" is a nice little catch phrase. Sounds very official, very biblical. Too bad the term itself or the teaching of it cannot be found anywhere in scripture.
Jesus taught there is no greater law than to love God with all your being. He also said the 2nd greatest command is to love others as yourself.
"Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." Mt.22:36-39
Please show where Jesus ever taught anything but this.
JLB said,
The Law of Moses has been taken away -
Loving God first and others will never be "taken way". Ever.
JLB777 said,
Your interpretation of Hebrews 10:9 is incorrect. The context is the sacrificial system which was a shadow of Christs sacrifice. There is nothing in this passage or the rest of the Bible which says Christians don't have to love God or their neighbors.
JLB said,
The Law of Moses was temporary -
So when Jesus says heaven and earth will pass before the smallest dot of the law fails, Jesus is wrong and you are right? Not gonna happen.
JLB777 said,
19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. Galatians 3:19
And what is Pauls teaching here? That the law reveals wrongdoing for what it really is, which is sin. That people are saved by faith in Jesus doesn't imply people don't have to obey God.
JLB777 said,
What is left is God's Kingdom laws that Abraham walked in -
Abraham walked in God's law and commandments 430 years before the law of Moses.
Since Abraham believed God, it was as if he kept Gods law, the law that was later revealed to Moses, which is the only law spoken of in the Bible. You see JLB, there is no difference to God whether someone actually commits adultery, or just fantasizes about it. There is no difference to God whether someone commits murder, or just wishes the other guy was dead.
JLB said,
Please try to remain calm and use scripture. Please don't insult me or accuse me.
You don't know me. Be as straight forward as you like but plaes use scripture to validate your points.
Thanks JLB
If you can't address my points that's fine. If you feel insulted because I compared your request for verbatim to Pharisees telling Jesus exactly what Moses said, I really don't care. That's what they did and that's what you're doing.

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
jdbear said -

"Kingdom law" is a nice little catch phrase. Sounds very official, very biblical. Too bad the term itself or the teaching of it cannot be found anywhere in scripture.
The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it. Luke 16:16

You have intentionally closed your eyes so that you can't see.

Your interpretation of Hebrews 10:9 is incorrect. The context is the sacrificial system which was a shadow of Christs sacrifice. There is nothing in this passage or the rest of the Bible which says Christians don't have to love God or their neighbors.
On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." is a reference to the whole old testament, not just the law of Moses.

To love God and your neighbor has been since the beginning, and is Eternal.

Moses Law, the Covenant at Sinai, was added till the Seed should come.

Loving God first and others will never be "taken way". Ever.
see above.

Since Abraham believed God, it was as if he kept Gods law, the law that was later revealed to Moses, which is the only law spoken of in the Bible. You see JLB, there is no difference to God whether someone actually commits adultery, or just fantasizes about it. There is no difference to God whether someone commits murder, or just wishes the other guy was dead.
The law of sin and death was evident in the Garden as the result of disobedience.

This Law was thousands of years before the law of Moses given at Sinai.

The Law of God for Adam and for all mankind was And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat;

This law of God states is essence that we are not to "learn what is good and what is evil" from any other source apart from God.

Violating this law is what brought sin into the world and to all mankind.

God revealed what His laws and commandments and precepts were to Abraham, personally because Abraham walked with God, as we are to do today. Abraham "obeyed His Voice".

This was not so with the law of Moses. That covenant was set up for one person to have a relationship with God and come and teach everybody else "about God".

Remember what the people said when they heard the ten commandments spoken -

Then they said to Moses, "You speak with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak with us, lest we die." Exodus 20:19

Not so in the New Covenant, which is a fresh version of the Covenant the Lord made with Abraham.

JLB

Upvote 0
J

jdbear

JLB777 said,The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it. Luke 16:16
Jesus said this because the Rabbis didn't realize their law and prophets testified to the One who was now standing before them.
"And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things and they derided him." Lk.16:14
"And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.' Lk.16:31

JLB said,
You have intentionally closed your eyes so that you can't see.
You're taking Lk.16:16 out of context. He said, "The law and the prophets were until John...", because the law and prophets spoke about Jesus, but the Pharisees and scribes didn't believe them:
"For John came neither eating nor drinking and they say, he hath a devil..." Mt.11:18 = Lk.16:16
Jesus then continued, "Since that time, the Kingdom of God is preached..."
"The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners..." Mt.11:19

JLB777 said,
On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." is a reference to the whole old testament, not just the law of Moses.
Right, but it does include the law of Moses and you ignore that part.
JLB777 said,
To love God and your neighbor has been since the beginning, and is Eternal.
That's right. This is the heart of the law and it is eternal.
JLB said,
Moses Law, the Covenant at Sinai, was added till the Seed should come.
And thats where the true meaning of the law is realized. It is only the shadows spoken of by Moses that are no longer necessary.
JLB777 said,
The law of sin and death was evident in the Garden as the result of disobedience.
This Law was thousands of years before the law of Moses given at Sinai.
The Law of God for Adam and for all mankind was And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat;
That's true, but most people before Moses never had direct command from God and so sin wasn't looked at as sin:
"...sin is not imputed when there is no law." Ro.5:13
JLB said,
JLB said,
This law of God states is essence that we are not to "learn what is good and what is evil" from any other source apart from God.
Violating this law is what brought sin into the world and to all mankind.
The tree of knowledge of good and evil was created by God. Therefore, Adam and Eve did learn what was good and evil from God. (He said, "They have become like Us, knowing good and evil.") The problem is, God didn't want them to attain this knowledge.
JLB said,
God revealed what His laws and commandments and precepts were to Abraham, personally because Abraham walked with God, as we are to do today. Abraham "obeyed His Voice".
Abraham believed that God would raise his only son (Isaac) from the dead. This is a metaphor of faith in Jesus:
"...he received him in a figure." Heb.11:19
JLB said,
This was not so with the law of Moses. That covenant was set up for one person to have a relationship with God and come and teach everybody else "about God".
Remember what the people said when they heard the ten commandments spoken -

Then they said to Moses, "You speak with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak with us, lest we die." Exodus 20:19
Not so in the New Covenant, which is a fresh version of the Covenant the Lord made with Abraham.
Moses also preached Christ to the people, but they didn't have faith. This is why they could not enter the promised land. The gospel is declared throughout the OT by all the prophets, including Moses.
" For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them. But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:) Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach." Ro.10:4-8 = Deut.30:12
Moses shows us we are sinners and must live by faith.

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's right. This is the heart of the law and it is eternal.

The Law of Moses was temporary and has been taken away.

What remains is God's Law, which is the Law of the Lord.

This has been since the beginning, and remains intact though the law of Moses has been removed.

JLB

Upvote 0