mrs94

Follower of Yeshua
Sep 29, 2012
✟7,892.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18. "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19. "Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches [them], he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So, what does the "least of these commandments" mean in context of the previous 2 verses?

Epoisses

Apr 26, 2012
East coast
✟671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No takers? I'm curious as to what some of you thinks Jesus means by this.

I'll be honest this is one statement that Jesus said that I really don't understand. It goes against everything that the gospel of free grace stands for. But since Jesus said it then he must have his reasons. Jesus did talk about faith much more than commandment keeping so I'll just leave it at that. Every miracle that he performed required the recipient to exercise faith not effort.

Upvote 0

mrs94

Follower of Yeshua
Sep 29, 2012
✟7,892.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I'll be honest this is one statement that Jesus said that I really don't understand. It goes against everything that the gospel of free grace stands for. But since Jesus said it then he must have his reasons. Jesus did talk about faith much more than commandment keeping so I'll just leave it at that. Every miracle that he performed required the recipient to exercise faith not effort.

I appreciate your honesty. For me, I will say that I have realized one thing in my new walk, if it's there, it has meaning...I just have to dig a little to understand it....while laying aside doctrines of men.

Upvote 0

def

Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2010
✟89,770.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is the Law fulfilled? Romans 8 provides the answer.
"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. ... That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" (Romans 8:1-4).

When we walk with the Spirit, we do what the Spirit directs and there can be no condemnation.

What the Spirit directs is the will of God, and the will of God is righteousness (God is incapable of unrighteousness). Doing God's will, fulfills his righteousness in us.

Upvote 0

Epoisses

Apr 26, 2012
East coast
✟671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The reason why Jesus did focus on commandment keeping besides the fact that he was Jewish and raised under the old covenant was because the Christian life is a growing process. Christians who are new to the faith or 'babes' need the law to keep their lusts and passions in check. The law is great for condemning wrong doing and really this is the only thing it can do. But as we grow in grace, God wants us to see that the law has serious limitations. It can never make us righteous no matter how well you keep it. He wants us to transition from trusting in our performance (law-keeping) to trusting in Christ's performance which has no sin or guilt. The problem for so many stupid 'babes' is that once they get a taste for the law they never want to give it up. They turn into holier than thou legalists who trust in what they can do instead of what Christ has already accomplished. Some learn the lesson and some don't.

'Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.' Gal. 3:24,25

Upvote 0

InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18. "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19. "Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches [them], he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So, what does the "least of these commandments" mean in context of the previous 2 verses?

If the law was to be fulfilled, then that would make many of the ordinances in the law prophecy. Many people believe the law was totally abolished and made void, but both Jesus and Paul clearly said it was not.

But it was changed in the sense that our perception of it is changed when we are made new creatures in Christ by way of the Holy Spirit. There are 2 mindsets, just as there are 2 seeds. (flesh / Spirit) The firstborn man is of the earth, and is earthly, he is born of the flesh and also judges after the flesh of the law. (by outward appearances)

Our new creation in Christ is spirit, and is born again from above by way of God's Holy Spirit. Our new man receives the spiritual law written on our hearts and minds. He does not judge after the flesh (by appearances) but rather he judges righteous judgement by way of the mind of the Spirit.

Only the Father can reveal to you the hidden things in the law and prophets. Just as many may not understand what I mean by natural law and spiritual law.

I wrote a thread awhile back trying to explain the difference, for those who can receive it.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7684172/

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I did not come to destroy but to fulfill...

Jesus fulfilled the Law and the Prophets.

What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made... Galatians 3:19

and again -

then He said, "Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God." He takes away the first that He may establish the second.

Some scriptures to think about...

JLB

Upvote 0
A

annier

No takers? I'm curious as to what some of you think Jesus means by this.
To me it means do not alter Moses law and what it says. Moses law is prophetic, containing both blessings and curses, and various covenants.
Considering that the Levitical priesthood is a jot and tittle, which makes the old covenant old, Christ has fulfilled the law. Lots of Jots and tittles have disappeared.

Upvote 0

Dispy

Veteran
Jan 16, 2004
South Dakota
✟4,680.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It's obvious that you do not understand Matt. 5, 6, and 7.

Matt. 4:17 "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, Repent for the kingdom of heaven (out of heaven) is at hand."

In Matt. 6:10 Jesus taught them to pray "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Jesus came and fulfilled all the Law required. He did not break one dot to tittle.

Matt. 5:19 lays the requirements for those who will be the least or greatest in the kingdom. From there through chapter 7 are the requirements.

Ah, but Jesus tells us in Matt. 15:24 "...I am not sent but to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." Paul tells us in Romans 15: 8 "Now dI say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made to the (Jewish) fathers."

He further tells us in 2 Cor. 5:16 "Wherefore henceforth (from now on) know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more."

Now when I read the gospels, I know that Jesus came to Israel to fulfill all the OT promises to Israel. The promise Israel was looking for was a King that would sit and rule on David's throne, in the earth (Jer. 23:5). However, Israel rejected their King and His kingdom. Therefore, God gave Israel temporary slumbering eyes (set aside) raised up Saul/Paul to usher in this present dispensation of Grace.

In this dispensation of Grace, Israel is in the same "set aside boat" as the Gentiles were placed in at the Tower of Babel in Genesis 11. Now, "For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon Him."

The Church in this dispensation of Grace is known as "the Body of Christ", and there is no distinction between the Jew and Gentile, are on equal footing, and not under the Law.

There is no way that anyone can live what the Law required in Matt. 5, 6, & 7

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

it is about the Ten Commandments as well as the other good Commandments which do not contravene(which are not in contradiction with) the Ten Commandments, because such ordinance as e.g.: "they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die"(Deuteronomy 22:21) contravenes(is in contradiction with): "Thou shalt not kill."(Exodus 20:13)

John 8:3-11 "the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not(viz. in order to remind them about the Ten Commandments written with the Finger of God). So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her(viz. thus you can violate the Ten Commandments). And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground(viz. and He again continues to remind them about the Ten Commandments written with the Finger of God, one of which is: "Thou shalt not kill."). And they which heard it(i.e. and then they understood what exactly He alluded, and), being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more(viz. and it would be good if you also keep the Ten Commandments).",

Mark 10:5 "And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept."

or how is it possible e.g. both not to kill and to kill?!, and what is more harmless/good, to kill or not to kill?!

Blessings

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
it is about the Ten Commandments as well as the other good Commandments which do not contravene(which are not in contradiction with) the Ten Commandments, because such ordinance as e.g.: "they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die"(Deuteronomy 22:21) contravenes(is in contradiction with): "Thou shalt not kill."(Exodus 20:13)

John 8:3-11 "the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not(viz. in order to remind them about the Ten Commandments written with the Finger of God). So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her(viz. thus you can violate the Ten Commandments). And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground(viz. and He again continues to remind them about the Ten Commandments written with the Finger of God, one of which is: "Thou shalt not kill."). And they which heard it(i.e. and then they understood what exactly He alluded, and), being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more(viz. and it would be good if you also keep the Ten Commandments).",

Mark 10:5 "And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept."

or how is it possible e.g. both not to kill and to kill?!, and what is more harmless/good, to kill or not to kill?!

Blessings

how is it possible e.g. both not to kill and to kill?!, and what is more harmless/good, to kill or not to kill?!

Thou shalt not kill is better rendered not murder.

To kill someone trying to break into your home to kill your family and steal your things is not murder.

To kill the people that God instructed the children of Israel to kill is not murder.

Doing it because God told them to is righteous.

JLB

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thou shalt not kill is better rendered not murder.

To kill someone trying to break into your home to kill your family and steal your things is not murder.

To kill the people that God instructed the children of Israel to kill is not murder.

Doing it because God told them to is righteous.

JLB

and what's the difference after independently of whether (it) is about killing or murder in both cases there is an infliction of deadly harm?!, the alive human can live a good life, while the dead human cannot, and if the killing was/is not a problem then Jesus would not have dissuaded the scribes and pharisees who brought to Him a woman taken in a sexual wrongdoing(John 8:3-11), because they wanted to kill her according to the "law", but Jesus nailed and baffled them showing the imperfection of the inimical part of the "law"

Colossians 2:14-15 "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances(i.e. annulling the human/satanic part of the ordinances in God's covenant/testament) that was against us(i.e. which was prejudicial against the people), which was contrary to us(i.e. which was adverse to us), and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers(i.e. having denounced the unrighteous spiritual/religious systems and powers), he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it."

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0
J

Joshua0

“But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God." The Pharisees paid tithe on the seasoning that they put on their food. In the same way we are to have our speech seasoned with Grace. Everything we do and everything we say is to be a reflection of God's love, even to the most tiny of details.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
and what's the difference after independently of whether (it) is about killing or murder in both cases there is an infliction of deadly harm?!, the alive human can live a good life, while the dead human cannot, and if the killing was/is not a problem then Jesus would not have dissuaded the scribes and pharisees who brought to Him a woman taken in a sexual wrongdoing(John 8:3-11), because they wanted to kill her according to the "law", but Jesus nailed and baffled them showing the imperfection of the inimical part of the "law"

Colossians 2:14-15 "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances(i.e. annulling the human/satanic part of the ordinances in God's covenant/testament) that was against us(i.e. which was prejudicial against the people), which was contrary to us(i.e. which was adverse to us), and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers(i.e. having denounced the unrighteous spiritual/religious systems and powers), he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it."

Blessings

Did you understand what I wrote?

The vein of discussion is - the 10 commandments, thou shall not kill.

A.] thou shall not kill means thou shall not murder.

B.] If God tells you to kill then it is not murder it is righteous.

example: 3 Now go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' " 1 Samuel 15:3

Saul did not obey this command and therefore Gods presence departed from Saul and The kingdom was torn from him.

This is a command from God and is His Law just as Do not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is His Law.
Not Moses Law, Gods Law!

JLB

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Did you understand what I wrote?

The vein of discussion is - the 10 commandments, thou shall not kill.

A.] thou shall not kill means thou shall not murder.

B.] If God tells you to kill then it is not murder it is righteous.

example: 3 Now go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' " 1 Samuel 15:3

Saul did not obey this command and therefore Gods presence departed from Saul and The kingdom was torn from him.

This is a command from God and is His Law just as Do not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is His Law.
Not Moses Law, Gods Law!

JLB

to be honest, satan had an inner/domestic power in the time before the New Testament whereby it was able to act as a part of the appearance of God, that is why the God of the old testament's time looked/was such, because He was not just the true God, but the true God and satan simultaneously in a struggle for dominance between themselves, here is one example of this:

Jude 1:9 "Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee."

in this verse is seen how God and satan were in a struggle for dominance one against another in the time before the New Testament, because the devil had an inner/domestic power then, that is why God had to send His Son in order to destroy the inner/domestic power of satan through Him

John 14:30 "Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world(i.e. the wicked) cometh, and hath nothing in me.",

John 12:31-32 "Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out(viz. now the whole inner/domestic power of satan will permanently be destroyed). And I, if(i.e. and when) I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.",

Matthew 27:50-56 "Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom(viz. all inimical/pernicious ordinances in God's covenant/testament has been annulled); and the earth did quake(viz. the powers did shake), and the rocks rent(viz. and the whole inner/domestic power of satan has permanently been removed/destroyed); And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many. Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God. And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him: Among which was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of Zebedee's children.",

where is it written that Jesus or some of His disciples killed any human?!, of course nowhere in the Bible, but they have actually attested:

Luke 9:55-56 "the Son of man is not come(i.e. does never come) to destroy men's lives, but to(i.e. but He always comes (in order) to) save them.",

Matthew 26:51-54 "And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear. Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?",

1 John 3:14-16 "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death. Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him. Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.",

Romans 12:17-21 "Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire(i.e. you shall heap good(-ness)/love) on his head(viz. so this will make it better). Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good."

because the Holy God's Law of (the) faith says 'do not cause (a) hurt/harm to any human'

Romans 13:8-10 "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery(i.e. do not intrude/coerce/enslave), Thou shalt not kill(i.e. do not hurt/harm/murder), Thou shalt not steal(i.e. do not bereave/rob), Thou shalt not bear false witness(i.e. do not defame/slander/libel/vilify), Thou shalt not covet(i.e. do not curse/execrate/overlook/imprecate); and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."

so there cannot be good and evil together in Jesus and His true spiritual servants, however if there is a harmful/murderous person then God can really punish it

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DArceri

Exercise daily -- walk with the Lord.
Nov 14, 2006
✟11,256.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

There's basically 3 uses of the law. 1st use of the law is for civil obedience. God's law is the standard for what is good and right. It is meant to check and restrain evil desires for those who are dead in sin. The second use is to reveal sin and expose man's inability to keep the law perfectly. It is used to show a person he is morally bankrupt and is going to come under the judgement of God's wrath. This use is meant to drive a person to a Savior (ie. Jesus Christ). This is when the good news, ie. the Gospel, is presented to non-believers and bring them to faith. The third use of the law serves as a guildline for believers. Once an individual comes to saving faith in Christ, the law speaks to our sin nature. It serves as a constant reminder that we still are sinners until we are glorified, and also keeps us from being self-rightous like the Pharisees were (ie. the law for believers serves to humble us, not condemn us.) Think about it, if the law is no longer useful, then why does GOD continue to chastise us (like a father chastises his son)? Why do we come to prayer in repentance after we sin? Thus, Jesus warns us not to relax the law for it serves God's purpose until His return. Thus, those who teach that the law is no longer useful to them will be called the 'least' in the kingdom of heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The second use is to reveal sin and expose man's inability to keep the law perfectly. It is used to show a person he is morally bankrupt and is going to come under the judgement of God's wrath. This use is meant to drive a person to a Savior (ie. Jesus Christ). This is when the good news, ie. the Gospel, is presented to non-believers and bring them to faith.

To me this use of the Law is what Paul had in mind when he said -

the law is good if one uses it lawfully.

JLB

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The context is the Law, the Torah.

The Lord fulfilled the Law and the Prophets and the Psalms.

He fulfilled the shadows and types in the Torah.

He fulfilled the prophecies in the Prophets and the Psalms.

All of the Old testament from Genesis to Malachi.

Why would you try and make this about the law of Moses?

If he fulfilled the Torah, which is the Law of God, not The law of Moses, then by context, the commandments He is referring to are The Law of God, not the law of Moses.

as it is written -

because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws." Genesis 26:5

This occurred 430 years before the law of Moses.

The law of God is Eternal and is valid in every nation, for Abraham was a Gentile.

The law of Moses was only intended for the land of Israel.

Gentiles in other nations were not required to keep the law of Moses.

Any argument that requires Gentile believers living in other Nations to keep the Law of Moses is man made.

Unless from The law of Moses you can show me where Gentiles in other nations were required to keep the law of Moses.

JLB

Upvote 0