Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave90

I see alot of prostantents here giving more credit to luther and calvin or any chrisitan apolgitic.

Mary is the most important woman in history, period.

im not saying worship here, but instead of giving thanks, you argue wheather she is a saint or not, like being the mother of God isnt good enough.

Give here the respect she deserves.

i have a special part of my heart towards Mary, as we all should.

Reactions: Orthosdoxa

GregoryTurner

Ezekiel 33
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2006
USA
✟57,748.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I like the way Jesse Duplantis out in his dvd series, "A Merry heart doeth good like a medicine, but a broken spirit drieth the bones."

A woman approached him and asked why he didn't like Mary. He said no I love Mary. She is the mother of Jesus. The woman asked him why he did not pray TO her. He said, "I pray like Mary prays."
Somewhere in John, audio bible on cd, I was listening to in my truck Mary called Jesus, "My Lord". Does this not mean that she prayed to God through Jesus just as Jesus had taught?

Upvote 0

vrunca

STRESSED spelled backwards is DESSERTS
May 1, 2004
North East Lower Michigan! Go Wings!!
✟4,908.00
Faith
Catholic
Does this not mean that she prayed to God through Jesus just as Jesus had taught?

Hi Gregory...That is exactly how we all should pray! That is the way I end my prayers to God...Through Jesus' name...Amen.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The actual worship of Mary may be just a papal decision away. If that happens millions of Catholics will do openly what they now do secretly (and some not so secretly). Imho, of course.

Upvote 0

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The actual worship of Mary is just a papal decision away. When that happens millions of Catholics will do openly what they now do secretly (and some not so secretly).
Gee, the thread has turned THIS direction now. I'm shocked! What a surprise!

LK

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟71,542.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
popcorn.gif

Upvote 0

UBERROGO

May 1, 2006
United States
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I like the way Jesse Duplantis out in his dvd series, "A Merry heart doeth good like a medicine, but a broken spirit drieth the bones."

What are you saying here? it doesnt make sense.

Upvote 0

GraceLikeRainFallsDown

Everyone Needs Grace
Mar 15, 2006
✟1,986.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Give here the respect she deserves.

I do have a great respect for Mary. I am profoundly grateful she answered God's call. She endured a lot in order to be Jesus's mother. I am sure she also had great joy watching him grow. Jesus was a gift to Mary just as He was to all of us.

I also sympathies with all the agony she must have endured watching her baby being crucified. It breaks my heart to think of her enduring that time in her life.

But, I do not pray to her. I do not think she is the Queen of Heaven. I do not think that she is coming back as Apparitions around the world. I do not think that she was immaculately conceived with out original sin. I do not think that she was a perpetual virgin or believe in the Assumption.

But, I do deeply respect what she did for us as Jesus's mother here on Earth. I look forward to meeting her in Heaven. She was definitely an extraordinary person.

Reactions: Zeena
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll give her the respect she deserves. She was after all, as the angel said:

"And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women." -Lk. 1:28

She was favored, she was blessed, but that is the extent of it. Seems to me I remember reading in the Gospels somewhere where Jesus taught to pray to God, or to ask in His name. Not Mary's name. I can't find a single place in the scriptures where Jesus taught:

"Mary, which art in heaven."

Or:

"And whatsoever ye shall ask in mary's name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in mary's name, I will do it."

But that is just how I see it.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

TheListener

Save a cow - eat a vegetarian!
Aug 22, 2004
Sydney
✟19,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I can't find a single place in the scriptures where Jesus taught:

"Mary, which art in heaven."

Or:

"And whatsoever ye shall ask in mary's name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in mary's name, I will do it."

I've never met anyone who does that. Do people really do that?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have been told by several Catholics that they ask Mary to go to Jesus for them with their prayer requests because she was His mother and that if the request comes from her to the Son, it is most likely to be heard.

All I know for sure is that before Jesus was crucified, people had to go through a priest to access God for anything. But on the day and hour Jesus gave up the ghost, the vail in the temple was torn from top to bottom signifing that mankind no longer had to go through anyone to get access to God. We can now go straight to the Father with our prayer requests.

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." -Heb. 4:16

I can go to God myself, not through Mary:

"Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed are thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen"

I can go straight to God for my needs. I don't need Mary to pray for me.

But like I said, that is just how I see it. But if your denomination teaches that you can, then I say God bless you in your convictions. But I don't have too.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I ask my friends to pray for me.

Why shouldn't I be able to ask a Godly woman like St Mary? Or are we not all one body in Christ?
I'm not going to get drawn into this. Like I said, if your denomination teaches that you can, then God bless you. I don't have to, I have access to God myself.

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." -Heb. 4:16

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]John Gill's Exposition of the Bible[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Hebrews 4:16[/FONT]
Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace…

Either to Christ, who is before spoken of as an high priest, and who was typified by the mercy seat, to which there seems to be an allusion; and coming to him as a priest upon his throne is very proper: to him saints come for pardon and cleansing, and for a justifying righteousness, for the acceptance of their persons, and the presentation of their services, and for every supply of grace; and to him they may come "boldly", since he stands in the relations of a Father, husband, and brother, and from him they may expect receive mercy, since it is kept for him, and with him, and is only dispensed through him; and in him they may hope to find grace, since all fulness of it dwells in him; and help in every time of need, since their help is laid on him. Or else to God the Father, since Christ, the high priest, is the way of access to God, and it is by him the saints come unto the Father; who is represented as on a "throne", to show his majesty, and to command reverence; and as on a "throne of grace", to encourage distressed souls to come unto him; and to express his sovereignty in the distribution of his grace: and this coming to him is a sacerdotal act, for every believer is a priest; and is not local, but spiritual, and with the heart, and by faith; and chiefly regards the duty of prayer, and a drawing nigh to God in that ordinance with spiritual sacrifices to offer unto him: and this may be done "boldly"; or "with freedom of speech"; speaking out plainly all that is in the heart, using an holy courage and intrepidity of mind, free from servile fear, and a bashful spirit; all which requires an heart sprinkled from an evil conscience, faith, in the person, blood, and righteousness of Christ, a view of God, as a God of peace, grace, and mercy, and a holy confidence of being heard by him; and such a spirit and behaviour at the throne of grace are very consistent with reverence of the divine Majesty, with submission to his will, and with that humility which becomes saints. The Jews often speak of (Nydh aok) , "a throne of judgment", and (Mymxr aok) , "a throne of mercy" ; and represent God as sitting upon one or other of these, when he is dispensing justice or mercy ; and the latter they sometimes call, as here, (Mymxrw dox aok) , "a throne of grace and mercy" : and so they make the first man Adam to pray to God after this manner ;
``let my prayer come before the throne of thy glory, and let my cry come before (Kymxr aok) , "the throne of thy mercy".''​
The end of coming hither is,

that we may obtain mercy;
the sure mercies of David, the blessings of the everlasting covenant; particularly pardoning mercy, and the fresh application of it, and every other blessing of grace that is needful: and there is reason to expect it, since there is mercy with God; and it is with Christ, as the head of the covenant; and it is ready for those that ask it; and it has been obtained by many, and is everlasting.
And find grace to help in time of need;
the Syriac version renders it, "in time of affliction"; which is a time of need, as every time of distress is, whether from the immediate hand of God, or through the persecutions of men, or the temptations of Satan: and help at such times may be expected; since not only God is able to help, but he has promised it; and he has laid help on Christ; and gives it seasonably, and at the best time; and it springs from grace, yea, it is grace that does help; by which may be meant, the discoveries of God's love, and the supplies of grace from Christ: which may be hoped for, seeing God is the God of all grace; and he is seated on a throne of grace; and all fulness of grace dwells in Christ: to find grace often, signifies to find favour with God, to be accepted by him, as well as to receive grace from him.

So like I said:

DeaconDean said:
I can go straight to God for my needs. I don't need Mary to pray for me.

I have direct access to the throne!
[/FONT]
God Bless

Till all are one.

Reactions: Zeena
Upvote 0

TheListener

Save a cow - eat a vegetarian!
Aug 22, 2004
Sydney
✟19,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have access to God myself too.

And I don't know anyone who prays to Mary but I know plenty who ask Mary to pray for her.

And if Mary is dead, where do you think she is right now?

It's very very simple, really. I'm not a Catholic and I can understand it.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have access to God myself too.

And I don't know anyone who prays to Mary but I know plenty who ask Mary to pray for her.

And if Mary is dead, where do you think she is right now?

It's very very simple, really. I'm not a Catholic and I can understand it.
Like I said:

I'm not going to get drawn into this. Like I said, if your denomination teaches that you can, then God bless you in your convictions. I don't have to, I have access to God myself.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Reactions: TheListener
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.