Making Friends

mila1

Aug 22, 2015
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, my name is Mila and I'm a junior in high school. I've been depressed for years- maybe my whole life but I don't remember that far, I do remember being depressed when I was as young as six years old but it could have been longer than that- but lately it's gotten even worse. I finally told my mom about it (she had suspected I had been sad recently but didn't know about the magnitude and length of the problem, and I still didn't tell her how bad it really is (thinking suicidal thoughts multiple times a day, although I am able to resist actually killing myself, thankfully). Anyways, I am going to see a psychiatrist sometime soon once we find one in our area.

While I definitely believe there is a medical (chemical imbalance in the brain) aspect to my depression because I have had depression for so long, I have also led a very antisocial life. I've always been very shy which I suspect is part genetics and part due to the lack of socialization I had as a child (which was mainly my direct family but sometimes we saw relatives, but rarely did I come in contact with strangers or other children), and maybe part depression as well. But the point is that I feel like I have no real friends, and that makes my depression that much worse. Literally, throughout school I have only ever gone to two people's houses (and haven't hung out with anyone outside of school excluding these two times); once was a birthday party of another girl in kindergarten, and another was in sixth grade when I went trick or treating with someone (we were never that close though and she isn't really the type of person I'd like to hang out with; we don't have the same values at all). I do sit with several people at lunch but they are all close with each other and I'm kind of the odd one out. The truth is the people I sit with at lunch aren't really the type of people I think I'd want to be close friends with; they're not the nicest or most moral people (though they are pretty nice, just not exactly my values) and I find them kind of boring to be honest. I just sit with them because they're not popular (which would intimidate me) and I've been sitting with them for a couple of years so they accept me, even though we're not close.

I want to be like other people and have at least one or two friends that I can really count on and trust and hang out with often. And I want to be able to talk to- and hopefully hang out with- some other people that are also friends but just not as close on occasion too. I just don't know how to make friends. I'm so shy. I try to join in conversations of other people when they're nearby, but I sit there thinking of how to say hi or join in and I usually just can't. When I do comment or say something, they do acknowledge me but usually just go back to their own conversation, ignoring me. Sometimes, they don't even hear me because I have a very quiet voice (not only is it naturally quiet, it is also kind of hard for me to speak much louder)! I have so little experience with talking with people outside of my family and also have pretty low self esteem. Plus, everyone in the school, excluding 3 or 4 kids who choose to be loners, and one other very shy person, has a ton of friends. They all have a close group who they are really tight with but then also hang out with tons of other people frequently too. I'm not making this up; they post pictures every day to Instagram or Twitter and talk about it the next day; what they did with friends, their packed schedules, et cetera. A lot of people do talk to me, but just as acquanitences, in passing, then they go on to their real friends. When other people are talking in class or in the hall or whenever I usually just have to awkardly sit there and pretend I have something to do. No one hardly ever starts a conversation with me. No one has asked me for my phone number or to do something with them outside of school (aside from those two times I talked about earlier when I went to their houses). I think everyone kind of thinks I hang out with someone else, which is good because I don't want to be even more embarrassed, but it's still sad. Most other people already have busy schedules and already have a lot of established, good friendships, so I feel like they wouldn't have time for another friendship; and after all, why would they make time, since they already have so many other friends? And it certainly seems that way because like I said, no one has ever shown interest in getting my cell phone number or asked me to do something with them. Not that I could even give them a cell phone number- I don't have one, and I also don't have interest access at home- but this just further makes me believe no one really finds me fun to be around or wants to be my friend. There are many times where I've overheard kids talking to other kids who I didn't even think were friends at all (certainly they are not close friends) about something they did the night before or that weekend or plans for that evening or whatever. And I don't even have one friend. It seems strange to me because I'm always so nice, and I try to be funny sometimes and I try to make people happy and always help others out and when they're upset about something I try to help them, but there are really mean people who have lots of friends and I, who always put others before me, don't even have any.

My high school is pretty small- about 350 kids- which I think makes it harder for me. Most people know most other people (at least are aware of their name) and already have established friendships and I feel like they would think it strange if I suddenly started trying to hang out with them, because they'll know I'm not new to the school and would wonder why I don't just stick with my own friends (which are nonexistant). I also think it's harder with a small school because people always say you should join a club, or several, doing things you are interested in, but the problem is the options here, aside from sports which I'm terrible at, are very limited (drama, Spanish club- in which they literally don't do anything all year, National Honors Society, and band and choir). Those just aren't my interests or talents so that wouldn't really work (I could be in National Honors Society due to my grades but I'm not interested in it)..

Thanks for reading this and maybe replying. I know this isn't strictly a Christian topic but I would still love any advice or encouragement you have; thank you. I bet my psychiatrist will be able to help me somewhat with this, but I just want to see if I can get any other help.

Taom Ben Robert

Roman Catholic
Apr 22, 2015
U.S.
✟21,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello , I struggle with depression too , and I understand somewhat of what your going through , I would suggest asking God to get you through the depression , and to give you the strength to make some new friends, then try talking to some of the aquatences( hope I spelled that right ) first , then go from there , God Bless you .

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Listen, I'm going to be a little rough but you have to do something quickly. You're totally right concerning the psychiatrist -this is his job after all! Now you have to do something from your own. You're shy? Okay, I am too. But one day I decided that I had enough of hiding myself from people, to just be the "kind" girl next door without any deep friendships. I forced myself to change: I won't lie it was very difficult at the beginning. But it payed. I have now a lot of "friends" (to hang out) and a few "real friends" and this is truly amazing. You can't just wait for nice people who will help you: you won't win anything in this way. Sadly, in this society, when you want something you have to get it by your own. Remember: 20 seconds of courage! Now, don't sacrifice your kindness and your altruism in the name of popularity. There is no secret for friendship, only the courage to try to discover an another one (who can be totally different! You seem to only look for people very close to you with the same values, etc etc: yes, of course this is very important to have such friends, but yet don't rule out some others in the name of the values). Be open-minded, friendship can exist between two opposite people! One of my best friends is a pure atheist, LGBT activist and a great feminist. Not really my taste of people usually, but I can assure you: she's one of the most memorable, funny and adorable people I know. I changed her a bit, she's much more open-minded when it comes to the religion since we hang out together. She even asks me some questions about Christianity! And concerning the popular persons: I assure you, they are such common human beings like me and you! Don't be afraid to talk to them. You have the same value for God.. But well, you took a good start with the psychiatrist! How was it? Pray for you!

Upvote 0

SARGAM NAGDA

Young Agony Aunt
Nov 21, 2015
✟15,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My suggestion would be to stop thinking(assuming) what others may be thinking and go ahead and meet people and be friendly.

Feel positive and don't say things like i am not good at this or I will fail at that if I try.

Just do it

No one will remember the things you have failed at or not succeeded, what you will notice is that you have tried something new.

Life is short so experiment with new things , you never know you might be good at something which you might be avoiding till now

Upvote 0

Koof

God's Padawan
Jan 17, 2016
Michigan, USA
✟15,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, my name is Mila and I'm a junior in high school. I've been depressed for years- maybe my whole life but I don't remember that far, I do remember being depressed when I was as young as six years old but it could have been longer than that- but lately it's gotten even worse. I finally told my mom about it (she had suspected I had been sad recently but didn't know about the magnitude and length of the problem, and I still didn't tell her how bad it really is (thinking suicidal thoughts multiple times a day, although I am able to resist actually killing myself, thankfully). Anyways, I am going to see a psychiatrist sometime soon once we find one in our area.

While I definitely believe there is a medical (chemical imbalance in the brain) aspect to my depression because I have had depression for so long, I have also led a very antisocial life. I've always been very shy which I suspect is part genetics and part due to the lack of socialization I had as a child (which was mainly my direct family but sometimes we saw relatives, but rarely did I come in contact with strangers or other children), and maybe part depression as well. But the point is that I feel like I have no real friends, and that makes my depression that much worse. Literally, throughout school I have only ever gone to two people's houses (and haven't hung out with anyone outside of school excluding these two times); once was a birthday party of another girl in kindergarten, and another was in sixth grade when I went trick or treating with someone (we were never that close though and she isn't really the type of person I'd like to hang out with; we don't have the same values at all). I do sit with several people at lunch but they are all close with each other and I'm kind of the odd one out. The truth is the people I sit with at lunch aren't really the type of people I think I'd want to be close friends with; they're not the nicest or most moral people (though they are pretty nice, just not exactly my values) and I find them kind of boring to be honest. I just sit with them because they're not popular (which would intimidate me) and I've been sitting with them for a couple of years so they accept me, even though we're not close.

I want to be like other people and have at least one or two friends that I can really count on and trust and hang out with often. And I want to be able to talk to- and hopefully hang out with- some other people that are also friends but just not as close on occasion too. I just don't know how to make friends. I'm so shy. I try to join in conversations of other people when they're nearby, but I sit there thinking of how to say hi or join in and I usually just can't. When I do comment or say something, they do acknowledge me but usually just go back to their own conversation, ignoring me. Sometimes, they don't even hear me because I have a very quiet voice (not only is it naturally quiet, it is also kind of hard for me to speak much louder)! I have so little experience with talking with people outside of my family and also have pretty low self esteem. Plus, everyone in the school, excluding 3 or 4 kids who choose to be loners, and one other very shy person, has a ton of friends. They all have a close group who they are really tight with but then also hang out with tons of other people frequently too. I'm not making this up; they post pictures every day to Instagram or Twitter and talk about it the next day; what they did with friends, their packed schedules, et cetera. A lot of people do talk to me, but just as acquanitences, in passing, then they go on to their real friends. When other people are talking in class or in the hall or whenever I usually just have to awkardly sit there and pretend I have something to do. No one hardly ever starts a conversation with me. No one has asked me for my phone number or to do something with them outside of school (aside from those two times I talked about earlier when I went to their houses). I think everyone kind of thinks I hang out with someone else, which is good because I don't want to be even more embarrassed, but it's still sad. Most other people already have busy schedules and already have a lot of established, good friendships, so I feel like they wouldn't have time for another friendship; and after all, why would they make time, since they already have so many other friends? And it certainly seems that way because like I said, no one has ever shown interest in getting my cell phone number or asked me to do something with them. Not that I could even give them a cell phone number- I don't have one, and I also don't have interest access at home- but this just further makes me believe no one really finds me fun to be around or wants to be my friend. There are many times where I've overheard kids talking to other kids who I didn't even think were friends at all (certainly they are not close friends) about something they did the night before or that weekend or plans for that evening or whatever. And I don't even have one friend. It seems strange to me because I'm always so nice, and I try to be funny sometimes and I try to make people happy and always help others out and when they're upset about something I try to help them, but there are really mean people who have lots of friends and I, who always put others before me, don't even have any.

My high school is pretty small- about 350 kids- which I think makes it harder for me. Most people know most other people (at least are aware of their name) and already have established friendships and I feel like they would think it strange if I suddenly started trying to hang out with them, because they'll know I'm not new to the school and would wonder why I don't just stick with my own friends (which are nonexistant). I also think it's harder with a small school because people always say you should join a club, or several, doing things you are interested in, but the problem is the options here, aside from sports which I'm terrible at, are very limited (drama, Spanish club- in which they literally don't do anything all year, National Honors Society, and band and choir). Those just aren't my interests or talents so that wouldn't really work (I could be in National Honors Society due to my grades but I'm not interested in it)..

Thanks for reading this and maybe replying. I know this isn't strictly a Christian topic but I would still love any advice or encouragement you have; thank you. I bet my psychiatrist will be able to help me somewhat with this, but I just want to see if I can get any other help.
I can already relate to you. I have a hard time with struggling with depression and anxiety, and I've stopped taking meds because I thought that I didn't need them any more but I do but I decided to stay off the meds and put those thoughts of suicide and anxiety and depression in God's hands. Aside from that connection, I feel like you with friends. I don't entirely like my friend group that I'm in either.

I can tell how lonely you are as well. You just let your feelings out on a forum, with random people, but you feel safe. That's in part why I wanted to and did join this forum this morning. I also wanted to reach out to people and ask for help when needed here. This is the first time I'm reaching out and will pray for you here. Idk if you're Christian or not, but I'll keep you in my prayers. Just remember that God and Jesus love you, They know how you feel, and I kinda (halfway) know how you feel. Your mind can be a ark place, but you gotta keep your head up, think positively. He has plans for you!!! Feel free to talk to me and chat with me any time PLEASE! I am also a junior and high school. Please be safe, stay positive!:)

Upvote 0

atheist99

Jan 23, 2016
The Netherlands
✟7,614.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
For a very long time I also used to have no friends at all. I was really unhappy at school, because I thought the lessons were boring and the kids were stupid. When I went to junior high school it was just the same: no friends, sitting alone at lunch etc. Luckily I was never depressed, but I was very shy and I didn't know how to make friends. At some point I realized that people wouldn't just come to me to be friends, and I started trying to start conversations and actively making friends. Like tehehe said, it's really difficult at the beginning, but it pays. I became friends with some people who turned out really nice. Most people won't get really close to you, but it's a good start. Right now, I even have one very close friend (a christian ;)) and i share everything with her.
I hope you'll find a very good friend too! You shouldn't change who you are to get friends, because you are unique and special. If people don't appreciate you for who you are, than maybe they aren't the best people to be friends with. I think you are a very nice person and if people don't appreciate you, than they don't deserve you. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums