Lost - Episode 6:9 (3/23/10) - Ab Aeterno

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Interesting.

MiB says "Don't let him speak"
Dogan says "Don't let him speak"

I caught that too, and also wondered if the dagger MIB gave Richard with instructions to stab Jacob in the middle of his chest, was the same dagger that Dogan gave Sayid with instructions to stab Locke in the middle of his chest.

Also, Locke tells Richard, "Nice to see you out of those chains."
Later (before, in flashback), MIB tells Richard, "Nice to see you out of those chains."

Upvote 0
L

LovesToBless

On the "don't let him speak" thing...

My husband and I were talking about this last night. He said...I just KNOW I've heard that from somewhere else (meaning other literature, not the show) and once he said that, it rang a bell for me too. The only thing I could come up with (and both of us think there's something else we're thinking of as well) is from mythology with the Sirens. Sailors were wooed and brought to ruin by their songs. They would crash their boats on the rocks.

Siren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is an article on them...and about their song it says : "The term "siren song" refers to an appeal that is hard to resist but that, if heeded, will lead to a bad result."

Odysseus, had all his crew block their ears and he was bound to the mast of the boat. He was curious to hear their song.

Maybe it's just a similarity, but...hearing Smokey has been doom for everyone who listened to him.

About the dagger...I found it very interesting that Jacob got behind Richard and fought him and eventually won him over, but with Ben, he let it all happen with no fight or struggle at all. And then ultimately the attempt was made to use the dagger against MIB. How did Dogen know to do that? Will we see him learning this info from Jacob?

I'm still thinking Jacob is the good guy, too.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Did anyone watch in HD? I'm curious if there were any images I didn't see in the flashes that happened while Smokey was "analyzing" Ricardo. I remember the first time we saw Smokey do that to Eko, there were images from his past in those flashes.

Upvote 0

Rainer.

Dec 30, 2009
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Do you guys think that Richard still would've died if Jack had left the Black Rock after lighting the dynamite?
I think it just showed that Jacob still had influence on the island. You can't kill yourself if Jacob still had a reason to keep you around (think Michael off-island). Richard wouldn't have blown himself up, because his job isn't over. Jack was "meant" to convince him of that, and Hurley's interaction with Richard's wife at the beginning of the episode was also foreshadowing that Richard would go to his wife's cross, and he would there be convinced to return to Jacob's side.

Unless, of course Jacob is bad, in which case "manipulated" might be a more apt term.

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
I swear, when this is all over, I'm going to need someone to publish a concise summary of this show from beginning to end.

SO MANY QUESTIONS AND VARIABLES!!! SO MANY CHARACTERS!!

I want to be able to go back and KNOW that every character had something meaningful to contribute to the show (with the exception of Nikki and Paulo).

For example, Seasons 1 and 2 were all about Walt. Walt was soooo special. Where's Walt now? What's his story now?

Why did Richard come to the mainland to visit Locke's family when Locke was a child and "test" him?

I'm gonna need answers when this is over, and they better be good.

Upvote 0

Rainer.

Dec 30, 2009
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Why did Richard come to the mainland to visit Locke's family when Locke was a child and "test" him?

When Locke visited Richard in the 50s, he told Richard that he was gonna be born in a couple years, and told him to "come visit him", which he, of course, did.

The next time Richard went to see Locke, he wanted to know if he already knew the compass was his, a test which Locke failed, because he didn't know. From Locke's perspective, he hadn't given Richard the compass yet (wonky reasoning, yeah, haha).

Richard tried to get Locke to come to the Island as a teenager, but that didn't work either, Locke still didn't know he was meant to go to the Island.

Later, Richard says to Jack that he visited Locke, and Locke didn't seem like "anything special", to which Jack responds "I wouldn't give up on John Locke" (sounds like something Jacob would say...).

For trying to be the leader of The Others once on-island, Locke wasn't "in tune" with the Island for much of his life. Jacob didn't visit and touch him until he was tossed off a building in middle age (he visited most of the other candidates as young children, with the exception of the Kwons at their wedding).

Widmore was finally the one who, through Abaddon, brought Locke to the Island.

And when it's over, there will always be Lostpedia. :)

Upvote 0
L

LovesToBless

I swear, when this is all over, I'm going to need someone to publish a concise summary of this show from beginning to end.

SO MANY QUESTIONS AND VARIABLES!!! SO MANY CHARACTERS!!

I want to be able to go back and KNOW that every character had something meaningful to contribute to the show (with the exception of Nikki and Paulo).

For example, Seasons 1 and 2 were all about Walt. Walt was soooo special. Where's Walt now? What's his story now?

I'm gonna need answers when this is over, and they better be good.

Agreed.

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
Hey, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned "Magnus Hanso" yet.

It seems this great grandfather of Alvar Hanso owned the ship that was transporting the prisoners to an undetermined destination.

But for what?

And is it coincidence or destiny that the Hanso Foundation ended up doing the Dharma Initiative on the same island?

Reactions: AirPo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
I heard the name; and figured it meant something - but I didn't hear it well enough to catch it.. and didn't rewind.

Since LOST loves to drop little Easter Eggs all over their script, I always watch it with captions ON.

I do that with a lot of shows, actually. I find that my brain just takes in more stuff when I read it as opposed to just hearing it.

Upvote 0

appleofhiseye

Veteran
Jan 25, 2005
Butler, PA
✟18,164.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That was my favorite Episode so far this season.
I wanted to strangle that priest! I guess he didn't get Martin Luther's message.:D That's the reason Richard didn't want to die, he was afraid of hell. But now he thinks this island is hell, anyway.:o

Good job Hurley getting Richard back, before he went to MiB.
I still think He's(MiB) the evil one.
Why did he kill off all the surviving crew on the Black Rock? What made him spare Richard? I'm guessing Jacob somehow stopped him from killing Richard,too.

Upvote 0
L

LovesToBless

When Locke visited Richard in the 50s, he told Richard that he was gonna be born in a couple years, and told him to "come visit him", which he, of course, did.

The next time Richard went to see Locke, he wanted to know if he already knew the compass was his, a test which Locke failed, because he didn't know. From Locke's perspective, he hadn't given Richard the compass yet (wonky reasoning, yeah, haha).

Richard tried to get Locke to come to the Island as a teenager, but that didn't work either, Locke still didn't know he was meant to go to the Island.

Later, Richard says to Jack that he visited Locke, and Locke didn't seem like "anything special", to which Jack responds "I wouldn't give up on John Locke" (sounds like something Jacob would say...).

For trying to be the leader of The Others once on-island, Locke wasn't "in tune" with the Island for much of his life. Jacob didn't visit and touch him until he was tossed off a building in middle age (he visited most of the other candidates as young children, with the exception of the Kwons at their wedding).

Widmore was finally the one who, through Abaddon, brought Locke to the Island.

And when it's over, there will always be Lostpedia. :)

These are interesting points and things to ponder for sure. However, the only ones visited as young children were Kate and Sawyer...Jacob visited Sayid when he was crossing the street with Nadia, and she was killed, he visited Jack at the hospital and gave him his candy bar that had been stuck, and he visited Hurley when he had just left the mental health hospital.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
L

LovesToBless

It seems this great grandfather of Alvar Hanso owned the ship that was transporting the prisoners to an undetermined destination.

But for what?

And is it coincidence or destiny that the Hanso Foundation ended up doing the Dharma Initiative on the same island?
This is very interesting too.

That was my favorite Episode so far this season.
I wanted to strangle that priest! I guess he didn't get Martin Luther's message.:D That's the reason Richard didn't want to die, he was afraid of hell. But now he thinks this island is hell, anyway.:o

Good job Hurley getting Richard back, before he went to MiB.
I still think He's(MiB) the evil one.
Why did he kill off all the surviving crew on the Black Rock? What made him spare Richard? I'm guessing Jacob somehow stopped him from killing Richard,too.

I wasn't happy with the priest either. I mean, he even took his Bible, which he was reading!

I thought he was spared because he was praying. I still think there is a God connection in all of this. Wonder why Jacob can give him eternal life, but not forgive his sins. That takes him out of being a Jesus figure.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-1_e008082b-0cc0-4ed5-a764-70b45a68cd43-1-luke.jpg

Richard’s Bible was open to a page with this chapter and verse. The page contains a story of Jesus encountering a man possessed by a demon and ordering the demon leave the man’s body without harming him.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

But for what?

I remember back when we first saw Widmore and I don't think we really knew who he was yet - maybe that he was Penny's father, but even that I'm not sure. Anyway, he was at an auction picking up a ship's manifest (for the Black Rock) that was owned by Magnus Hanso. When I heard the name last night, I remembered that scene.

I imagine the Hanso family has known about the island for a long time, and set up the Dharma Initiative there to try to figure out how to monopolize on the island's powers.

-1_e008082b-0cc0-4ed5-a764-70b45a68cd43-1-luke.jpg

Richard’s Bible was open to a page with this chapter and verse. The page contains a story of Jesus encountering a man possessed by a demon and ordering the demon leave the man’s body without harming him.

That's an awesome catch! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0