Lost - Episode 6:9 (3/23/10) - Ab Aeterno

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ab Aeterno

Richard must make a difficult decision

All About Richard!!!

According to ab aeterno - Wiktionary

ab aeterno

1. Since the beginning of time.
  2. (figuratively) Since a very long time ago.

Almost none of the regular cast members are in this episode.

I'm looking forward to this one more than any other this season! :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thinker

Senior Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
Alaska
Visit site
✟7,155.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Okay...

I first came to this board most of a decade ago to participate in christian vs unbeliever debate. I spent a lot of time in the old 'General Apologetics' subforum, participated in many threads and watched many others. Eventually, after watching and taking occasional part in endless, pointless variations of the same twelve or fifteen arguments over and over adfintium, I became bored and left, save for my intermintent involvment in this subforum, I basically do not come here anymore.

Tonights episode brought back recollections of some of those old 'General Apologetics' debates.

First off, we have the priest in the Canary Islands. His theological explanation of why Richard was doomed to hell would have had 'Blasphemy Meters' (tm) exploding left and right in the old General Apologetics subforum...doing penace to escape hell???

Second, we have Jacobs wonderful explanation with the wine in the bottle as to what the island is and what the man in black would do should he escape the island. In connection with that, we have a very old legend, once associated with Judaism and some early deviant strains of Christianity, now denounced as an absurd blasphemy: specifically, that Eve was not the first wife of Adam. That Adam had at least one, and possibly two wives before Eve entered into the picture. The other wife was named 'Lilith', who turned out to be a bit too independant and assertive for Yahwehs taste, so she was told to depart post haste, and eventually became the 'Mother of Demons'.

Now...based on what Jacob has said about him, Smokey certainly comes close to qualifying as a demon. He see's basically only the bad in people, and wishes to see it grow.

Smokey has mentioned that his mother was crazy. Lilith wasn't exactly a paragon of mental stability in the minds of the ancient tell talers.

Then we have the island - a veritable garden where miracles happen. A place where people can live for a very long time. Kindof like another garden way back in the times of myth - begins with an 'E'.

Now...while Adam and Eve were formally evicted from the Garden, I don't know if that eviction also applied to Lilith or her demonic offspring.

So...maybe...hmmm...

Upvote 0

* kittie *

Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
✟24,171.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ricardo's story was great. :p

I think tonight's episode clarified basically the idea of the show...basically in what Jacob said about the island and the cork. Kinda funny cause this whole season, we felt like there really weren't any answers; but I guess they were just building up to it? Besides, when they basically told us that MiB was evil, we thought LOST was tricking us again. ^_^

Now it makes sense why Smokey wants to leave...and why the survivors "weren't supposed to leave". I also think Smokey offering people their wishes isn't cause he cares...it's all a part of his plan. To get people to leave/doubt Jacob and to help his own escape. Just curious how these candidates will replace Jacob or why they all seem to be related.

Except then, it doesn't make sense to me what's with the Linus-Widmore feud. How does that even fit in there when it seems like Jacob and MiB are now the 2 most important people?

Also I'm wondering...is that it for the real Locke? I mean he seemed like such an important character, "full of destiny"...but in the end to be manipulated by Smokey to die and that's it? And what was the point of having to recreate the events of the crash (including Locke's body). Strange details.

Interesting explanation by Jacob about free will. Reminds me of Job. Brings up some questions about what he might have known when Ben killed him...but I'll think it over as I sleep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was blown away by last night's episode. It had me engaged and on the edge of my seat like Season 1 LOST.

The whole way through, I kept trying to see the Jacob/MIB story from both sides of the coin: Is Jacob the good one and MIB the diablo? Is MIB the good one and Jacob the devil? I am still not completely sure which is which.

Upvote 0