Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
Weren't they in the same place that Charlotte went and found the polar bear with the Dharma symbol on it, around the time she was being recruited for the freighter?

Charlotte was in a desert area. Those two dudes we saw looked like they were in the middle of a snow storm.

Upvote 0
L

LovesToBless

Well, one things for sure. The writers of Lost better be on point when it comes to finale. They should understand and appreciate that it will be the one thing that unites all viewers of Lost.... finally understanding what has been happening all this time.

I mean... remember when we saw those two Portuguese guys chilling out in the Arctic at one of the season finales? And they located a "signal"? Did we ever find out if there was any significance to their location?

That is for sure. My husband and I keep saying....Just hope it's not a lame ending! :doh::sorry:

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
That is for sure. My husband and I keep saying....Just hope it's not a lame ending! :doh::sorry:

Well, my wife and I were Battlestar Galactica fans (the new one) and let me tell you... we were HUGE on finding out what the finale would be about.

Then we watched it, and that finale was such a kick to the teeth that we were left speechless for DAYS.

We were both like, "... uh, did we miss something along the way? That's it? It's over? That's how they explain everything? Years and years of build up and then... this?"

Needless to say, my pants did NOT fly off.

I went straight to the net to see what others on the internet were saying about the finale. They were equally disgusted. There were a few fanboys that tried hard to defend the nonesense, but they were overruled.

I kept seeing people using the term "Deus Ex Machina" to describe the finale. Admittedly, I had to look up what the heck that meant. Here's the definition according to Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
A deus ex machina (literally, in Latin, "god from the machine") is a plot device where a previously intractable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved, usually with the contrived introduction of either characters, abilities, or objects not mentioned before within the storyline. It is generally considered to be a poor storytelling technique because it undermines the story's internal logic.

Now, Lost is the type of show that has a lot of room for potential "deus ex machinas". There are still a lot of unsolved mysteries and loose ends. So I'm praying that we don't end up in the final episode only to be told, "Oh.. uh... yeah, they were all angels who were bored with nothing to do so they decided to play a game on the humans."

Reactions: bill'swife
Upvote 0
L

LovesToBless

Well, my wife and I were Battlestar Galactica fans (the new one) and let me tell you... we were HUGE on finding out what the finale would be about.

Then we watched it, and that finale was such a kick to the teeth that we were left speechless for DAYS.

We were both like, "... uh, did we miss something along the way? That's it? It's over? That's how they explain everything? Years and years of build up and then... this?"

Needless to say, my pants did NOT fly off.

I went straight to the net to see what others on the internet were saying about the finale. They were equally disgusted. There were a few fanboys that tried hard to defend the nonesense, but they were overruled.

I kept seeing people using the term "Deus Ex Machina" to describe the finale. Admittedly, I had to look up what the heck that meant. Here's the definition according to Wikipedia:

Now, Lost is the type of show that has a lot of room for potential "deus ex machinas". There are still a lot of unsolved mysteries and loose ends. So I'm praying that we don't end up in the final episode only to be told, "Oh.. uh... yeah, they were all angels who were bored with nothing to do so they decided to play a game on the humans."

I am totally with you! And...we've just been introduced to some new characters! :doh:Hopefully, that's nothing bad.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can't imagine them doing that. There were times watching the premiere that I would have sworn they had filmed the plane scenes during Season 1.

And then there are things like the fact that back in what, Season 2? Season 3? when Kate and Sawyer were captured by the Others and they had them digging up rocks all day, they asked what they were doing - and they were told they were building a runway. No one could figure out why, but then last season we saw why, when Lapidus needed to land the plane on the island and had a convenient runway waiting for him.

I think they've known all along what they are doing and how they are going to resolve things, and have been dropping clues to us all along that we won't recognize until the end. I doubt we'll get every answer to every little question we have, but I can't imagine not being satisfied by what they give us.

Upvote 0

Judy02

Jan 9, 2006
England.
✟28,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We're seeing how unchanged some people are....well, those who we see on the plane.

Charlie didn't get to have the redeeming experience of the island, and kick his habit.

Kate also didn't get influenced for good by the island. Sawyer (on the plane) seems to maybe be scheming about Hurley.

Jin...well, Jin and Sun....totally pre-island style on their part. No redemptive work of the island.

It reminds me a tiny bit of It's a Wonderful Life, where George Bailey gets to see what life would have been like if he'd never been born.

Yeah this occured to me as well! They've been trying so hard to change things, where the plane didn't crash on the island, but when you saw it land in LA, it didn't exactly paint a rosy picture, where everything was happier. Kate is still on the run and those problems are still very much with her. On the island, she appears to almost get a second chance. Charlie is suicidal and wants to be dead. On the island, he makes friends, and seems to recover from his addiction, if I remember correctly (before he drowned on the island anyway!) Jin and Sun gradually integrate more with people when on the island, this doesn't happen with the alternative storyline. I thought their relationship still seemed very strained when they were on the plane. Locke is still left paralysed and unable to walk etc etc. It kind of put the question forward on whether the alternative of the plane not crashing was really better... I did like the scene with Locke and Jack though in the airport, where Jack left his business card to help him, saying it would be 'on the house'. Those two never saw eye to eye on the island, it seemed like they were constantly at loggerheads, but it seemed like a very different story in this scenario. Here, they parted on good, amicable terms.

Wow this just gets more and more complex and confusing!! Why are they still doing this to us in the last series!! :p

That's true, they are happening 3 years apart, but I'm having a hard time working out the sequence of events without breaking the space-time continuum, LOL.

They blew up Jughead in 1977 and were thrown forward in time to 2007, which is where the current island activity is occurring.

In doing so, the "it worked" that Juliet mentioned caused the plane to land in LA in 2004 with different fates - Hurley's a lucky man in 2004 because, with the island at the bottom of the sea after the explosion, the numbers are no longer bad luck to him, for example.

But at some point, they have to get to the island in order to have the 2007 events occur (Locke has to die so MIB can assume his identity and kill Jacob). For that matter, they have to get to the island in order to skip through time, get back to 1977, and blow up Jughead.

And that's about the time that my head explodes and I just wait for the next episode. :p

The time difference between them on the island now and Oceanic 815 is confusing!! I wasn't expecting them to still be on the island if the plane didn't end up crashing...I wonder if the idea is basically that somehow they are destined to be on that island, even if Oceanic 815 didn't crash, and somehow they will just arrive in another way if not by that plane crash.

My head feels ready to explode too! Lol, I don't know what to think anymore, who is really dead etc. The beginning of season 6 is just leaving me even more confused, here was me hoping everything was going to start making more sense! :D

Anyone notice at the end where Sayid appears to come back to life? What does everyone think about that? That someone is using his body now as well? Right at the end of season 5, we saw Jacob and Esau, where he said he would kill Jacob and find a loophole in which to do it (by taking on the form of Locke's body?) Is it him, taking on the form of other dead people as well...?

But yeah, great episodes! I want more answers though, instead of more questions haha.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Judy02

Jan 9, 2006
England.
✟28,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I assumed he just meant away from the island. Got the impression he resented being there, where as John was almost obsessed about the island...didn't really feel too drawn into that comment or took it to be anything deeper than that.

Why? What did you make of it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thinker

Senior Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
Alaska
Visit site
✟7,155.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Back again for a bit, just like the show.

I do see the 2004 'LAX' timeline as somehow merging with the 2007 'It didn't work' timeline...but there is one itty bitty problem.

First part of 'LAX', right near the beginning, we get that footage of the island, including 'Dharmaville' and whats left of the statue...underwater. Meaning that in that timeline, there is no island to go back to - because it was blown up in 1977.

Still...as the 'LAX' timeline progresses, I am almost willing to bet that thanks to a bit of miracle surgery by Jack (which he has pulled off a time or two) Locke will walk again by the time 2007 in that timeline rolls around. I'd also lay odds that Kate achieves some sort of resolution (probation? going into hiding) that lets her be available in 2007 (or whenever the merger of timelines takes place).

Then there is the bit with Charlie. My recollection here might not be perfect, but I thought I heard him say - after being revived - that he was 'supposed to die'. Not that he 'wanted to die' but that he was 'supposed to die'; changing that bit from an individual choice to an act of fate. My thought there was that he was somehow aware of what transpired in the other timeline.

I also wonder about the Jacks missing coffin and Lockes missing knives - are they somehow in limbo transit to the island? And which timeline will they land in?

Upvote 0