Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Medication is no longer an option I'm open to for my son's ADHD. I'm not convinced extreme diets are a good idea either.

I personally have ADHD and was never medicated because my parents didn't believe in the diagnosis. As I grew up I struggled through figuring out how to function and be successful in jobs and school. I even learned how to use ADHD to work for me in some areas.

I would like to train my son how to be successful without medication and without the heartache and tears I went through. Although I figured things out for myself, my son and I are two very different people. What worked for me, might not work for him. I also don't really know how to pass the skills I've learned for myself on to him.

Our library's resources on this matter are very limited and disappointing. Does anyone know of any book or system that is successful on how to cope and manage ADHD without drugs or overhauling a diet?

Last edited:

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Money is a huge concern for me too. We found a nonprofit counseling and psychiatric agency that uses a sliding scale for fees based on income. I only have to pay 20.00 a month for his counseling sessions.

For myself I found another counseling clinic where interns practice for free to complete their degree program.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm an adult w/ADHD...
There are a few things that you can do that help.
1. Use a dry-erase board with a daily sort of schedule.
2. make extensive use of personal planners for the child. One of our problems is transitioning from one activity to another.
3. Speaking of transitions...warnings and timers work well. For example...child is playing and it's near bath/bedtime. Set the timer for 15 minutes and say "in 15 minutes, we're going to clean up the toys. (don't go to the bath, one thing at a time). Give warnings at 5 minute intervals. When clean up time happens, set the timer again for 15 minutes...give 5 minute warnings.
4. Realize that ADHD kids are usually pretty smart, they just learn in different ways. Some kids may need absolute silence to get their homework done. Some kids may need noise (I did my best studying with music or the TV on).
5. Its possible to be very successful, because of, not in spite of ADHD.

I have an alphabet soup of letters after my name...however, I chose a profession that works with my "disability"

Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My son has an agenda that the school gives to all it's students to record projects and homework. Problem is, he doesn't use it, so it's pointless. I wonder if I can write it into the 504 plan that the teachers have to make sure he writes things down in it.

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi,

I am 68, I was able to force my way through a technical discipline in 1966, I was so desperate that I did graduate with an Electrical Engineering degree.

Never did I know that I had ADHD, until I hit 60 or so and was accused of it by other ADHD folks in a job, that no one can work in, unless they have special characteristics.

I had those and more. One characteristic was ADHD.

I am also a researcher. So, research is how I started looking at my ADHD.

Fundamentally, my research, while still making money in my normal profession, is that ADHD, is 7X, the brain speed of the average American.

Knowing that should help anyone.,
Why?, because what looks like boredom is; ADHD people are done with things, mentally, before others.,

Here is a real world example. I wondered why in meetings, no one ever complained about me attending them with my eyes closed.

I was told that they could tell by my answers that I was not sleeping.

So, one problem of mine was solved.

Another time, I spoke out of that eye closed situation.

I asked everyone there a question that I did not know the answer to.

More than one person said to me: "What are you talking about?"

They also stared at me expecting me to answer for this apparent breach and deviation.

I told them what was going on in my mind then:

"You are talking about *****. The answer to that is ****. That creates another problem. The answer to that is *******. That creates another problem. I am asking how to solve this problem."

After that meeting, one of the ADD guys grabbed me and demanded that I tell him, why I told the normals, what my thought processes are.

They asked, is what I said. He tried to convince me never to share, the high brain speed item with normals.

I refused, as it is a lie.

All of the ADD and the ADHD, seem to have the 7X, times average brain speed.

How, I am treated in research for that, and all others like me are treated, is with Astonished Deference.

They actually cannot almost believe, that what the standard ADHD, person does solo, takes normally 7 to 8 member teams to accomplish the same thing.

We make exceptional contributions, with exceptional difficulties, a faster than average brain speed, is our difficulty.

Dyslexics, think in pictures. Their brain speed is 7X average also.

And, the most extreme Academics, have a brain speed that is 1/3rd the Average speed, and they talk that way also.

We have our place. With mine, I just tried to be as normal as possible, to fit in.

Patience for me, taught by others, is the art of always having something else to do.

I take anti-boredom kits with me in meetings and everywhere, so that if things get too boring, I do something else.

I jump from project to project solving problems, or completing research. I hear that sales, and being a soldier work also.,

LOVE,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
We saw his doctor today, and discussed medications and pros and cons. The doctor was very sympathetic. He prescribed a medicine that is not a stimulant to see if that one helps him without disturbing side effects. If it doesn't work out well, then we are giving up on medication for ADHD altogether.

He was also prescribed something for sleeping to see if more rest will help with some of the symptoms.

Upvote 0