✟15,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
EGW is our modern day Moses....No?

Jesus words in....John 5:45-47

45 "Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father;
the one who accuses you is Moses, in whom you have set your hope.

46 "For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me.

47 "But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?" NASU

Upvote 0

Joe67

Sep 8, 2008
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So if Ellen White's views were never intended to be a test of doctrine and fellowship, and the Review writers were never supposed to refer to her writings as authority on any point, I wonder what James would think of the church's current fundamental-belief statement regarding his wife:
18. The Gift of Prophecy:
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen. G. White . As the Lord's messenger,
her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)
Perhaps James couldn't be a traditional Adventist either if he were alive today. ;)
Revelation 1:1 reveals the chain of authority that is in God.

God to Jesus. Jesus to his angel. Jesus' angel to Jesus' servant. Jesus' servant to the servants.

EGW was in the chain of revelation. She was not the ultimate authority. She had the similar work as the man who said,"Are you he or do we look for another." The work was in the same authority as the man who said, "God was angry at me for your sakes, and I cannot go over Jordan with you."

Joe

Upvote 0

Idol Breaker

Mar 4, 2009
Des Moinesl, WA (For now)
✟7,729.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Brings? The prophet is dead. The present tense is inappropriate here.

That's only assuming that there are or were, however you want to look at it, to be no other prophets after EGW, which, if we are to believe the Bible and stand on the promises of God, is not to be the case.:ok:

Upvote 0

Idol Breaker

Mar 4, 2009
Des Moinesl, WA (For now)
✟7,729.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So if Ellen White's views were never intended to be a test of doctrine and fellowship, and the Review writers were never supposed to refer to her writings as authority on any point, I wonder what James would think of the church's current fundamental-belief statement regarding his wife:
18. The Gift of Prophecy:
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen. G. White . As the Lord's messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)

Perhaps James couldn't be a traditional Adventist either if he were alive today. ;)

I believe you misunderstand what is being said here. Pay special attentions to "a continuing and authoritative source of truth" notice it doesn't say "the continuing and authoritative source of truth"? A source is another reference to be used in addition to other references. Check out the next sentence "They (EGW's writings) also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested." A standard is the base by which other things are compared, in this case that standard is the Bible and the emphasis is that all things must be tested by it.

EGW's writing are not the standard, just a clearer glass for us to use to see more clearly. We can use it or we can discard it, the choice, as in everything we do in our lives, is ours.

(I'm surprised you others did catch this right off)

Upvote 0

sentipente

Senior Contributor
Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
That's only assuming that there are or were, however you want to look at it, to be no other prophets after EGW, which, if we are to believe the Bible and stand on the promises of God, is not to be the case.:ok:
This is not clear. Are you saying there were or were not to be any prophets after EGW?

Upvote 0

sentipente

Senior Contributor
Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
EGW's writing are not the standard, just a clearer glass for us to use to see more clearly. We can use it or we can discard it, the choice, as in everything we do in our lives, is ours.

Why do you need "a" standard if you have access to "the" standard? It sounds as if you don't trust "the" standard and have more confidence in "a" standard.

Reactions: Sophia7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe you misunderstand what is being said here. Pay special attentions to "a continuing and authoritative source of truth" notice it doesn't say "the continuing and authoritative source of truth"? A source is another reference to be used in addition to other references. Check out the next sentence "They (EGW's writings) also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested." A standard is the base by which other things are compared, in this case that standard is the Bible and the emphasis is that all things must be tested by it.

This is an old thread that has been resurrected. Since a few people have commented on my post from almost two years ago, though, let me just clarify my point, which was that I do not accept EGW's writings as a "continuing and authoritative source of truth" at all. This whole thing about her not being the source is irrelevant. No one said that Adventism teaches that her writings are the source or the standard, including me.

Upvote 0

mva1985

Senior Veteran
Jun 18, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟19,628.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Why do you need "a" standard if you have access to "the" standard? It sounds as if you don't trust "the" standard and have more confidence in "a" standard.

Her writings do point people back to the Bible - that's a good thing.

Upvote 0

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reddogs,

The following is Fundamental Belief # 18 of the SDA Church

FB #18 said:
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen. G. White . As the Lord's messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)

This states that Ellen's writings are "A" continuing and AUTHORITATIVE source of truth and states that these writings INTERPRET the Bible. Ellen's writings provide the SDA Church guidance, instruction and correction.

Smacks of 2nd Timothy 3,16 does it not?

That Scripture said:
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The Bible says Scripture is "profitable" for correction, doctrine, instruction and FB #18 places Ellen's work as equal (one in the same). There is no laying Ellen to the right here my friend, which is exactly what Walter Martin (A Baptist apologist who caused the SDA Church to give birth to the book Questions on Doctrine demonstrated). The following video aptly demonstrates it.

YouTube - 7-14 Seventh Day Adventist -VS- Christianity - Debate

Upvote 0

mva1985

Senior Veteran
Jun 18, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟19,628.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The following is Fundamental Belief # 18 of the SDA Church

Originally Posted by FB #18
This states that Ellen's writings are "A" continuing and AUTHORITATIVE source of truth and states that these writings INTERPRET the Bible. Ellen's writings provide the SDA Church guidance, instruction and correction.

No where in the FB #18 does it say that EGW's writings interpret the Bible.

It says that her writings "make clear" that the Bible is the Standard.

Upvote 0

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It indeed does. FB #18 says that the writtings of White are continuing and "authoritative" and also that the writtings provide instruction AND CORRECTION.

The FB dealing with the Bible only says of the Bible THAT,

FB #1 said:
The Holy Scriptures are the infallible revelation of His will. They are the standard of character, the test of experience, the authoritative revealer of doctrines, and the trustworthy record of God's acts in history.

That's what it says.

MVA said:

If what Ellen wrote guides and corrects the church then FB #18 is explicit that it's Ellen's understanding of what is in the Bible that's the truth, not what you believe the text to say. I've covered this previously in this thread and backed it up with proof that every doctrine specific to SDA's was established by Ellen White THEN and ONLY THEN can the Bible be said to be the standard after those specific doctrines have been identified by Ellen White.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It indeed does. FB #18 says that the writtings of White are continuing and "authoritative" and also that the writtings provide instruction AND CORRECTION.

That's what it says.

If what Ellen wrote guides and corrects the church then FB #18 is explicit that it's Ellen's understanding of what is in the Bible that's the truth, not what you believe the text to say. I've covered this previously in this thread and backed it up with proof that every doctrine specific to SDA's was established by Ellen White THEN and ONLY THEN can the Bible be said to be the standard after those specific doctrines have been identified by Ellen White.

First one must understand that sister white was a prophet, used by God. Her writings are a source of authority and used for correction because that which she wrote was inspired by God. It is in no ways on par with the bible, as she herself said, but it does not take away from its authority.

She helps to give clarity and understanding on certain topics. She has no private interpretation of the bible. The same understanding that she has can be had by anyone.

Upvote 0

mva1985

Senior Veteran
Jun 18, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟19,628.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Originally Posted by mva1985

Originally Posted by FB #1
The Holy Scriptures are the infallible revelation of His will. They are the standard of character, the test of experience, the authoritative revealer of doctrines, and the trustworthy record of God's acts in history.
That's what it says.

Originally Posted by MVA

Pythons,

Interesting that you refuse to address the point where it says that her writings MAKE CLEAR that the Bible is the Standard.

It does not state that her writings interpret the Bible. Its not there. Anyone can read it for themselves. You are reading into it more then what is there. PERIOD.

Upvote 0

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pythons,

Interesting that you refuse to address the point where it says that her writings MAKE CLEAR that the Bible is the Standard.

Let me complete the above, italics added

MVA said:
Interesting that you refuse to address the point where it says that her writings MAKE CLEAR that the Bible is the Standard after she has established the true meaning of it.

Example:

Ellen White said:
I have seen that the 1843 chart was directed by the hand of the Lord, and that it should not be altered; that the figures were as He wanted them, that His hand was over and hid a mistake in some of the figures so that none could see it until His hand was removed

If the chart of prophecy Ellen is speaking of was directed by God AND all doctrines of the SDA Church are proved by the Bible THEN what Ellen said "the meaning of specific passages in the Books of Daniel and Revelation" MUST MEAN what she said it means therefore the Bible teaches it because Ellen said that's what it means and everyone knows God worked through Ellen. Viola, the Bible teaches the I.J. / soul sleep and Sabbath observance for Christians.

MVA said:
It does not state that her writings interpret the Bible. Its not there. Anyone can read it for themselves. You are reading into it more then what is there. PERIOD.

That's exactly what it says. Hey, good to see you MVA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0