• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

kids questions

jododo

Sep 28, 2013
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone.
I'm new.
I'm looking for advice: my 2 year old has started noticing the scars on my arms and asking questions. What can I say?
I still occasionally self harm, and cover up when the cuts are fresh, but I don't feel like I have to hide the old scars. The thing is, I really don't want to expose my son to even the idea of it, especially not at this age.
I'm sure others have been in my position. What did you say?

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My kids are older and understand a lot more now, but at that age I just said something along the lines of 'Mummy hurt herself a long time ago, but it's better now, it just left some marks'. Children of that age will accept an uncomplicated explaination - usually reassuring them that the marks are from 'a long time ago' and don't hurt now is enough.

:hug:

Upvote 0

BeatrixRose

Legendary Girl A
Oct 8, 2013
England
✟7,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm around children a lot and have really bad scars on my arms (all needing stitches) so they're pretty noticeable. I usually make up little stories for the smaller ones (falling down a tree chasing a squirrel, or fights with sharks) - just because of the fun they have listening to the story. But for older children, about 11 years +,<edit> I ignore them. It's more open nowadays, and although thats good, people can be cruel about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0