Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Many preppers recommend that during the cold months if there's a SHTF event or a natural disaster or right now fuel shortages ways to keep warm.

One is to designate one room the family can gather in to save heat, only heating that room with either a kerosene heater, a gas propane heater like Mr. Buddy or a room where you have a fireplace or wood stove.

This room should be closed off from the rest of the house to retain the heat. You can use curtains to block off a hallway which has the doors closed and using a shower curtain rod spread across the beginning of the hallway and hang the curtains (the heavier the better) and allow access but keeping in the warm air in your main room.

Another thing suggested is setting up a camping tent where the family can gather which will make a 'mini-climate' where the body heat is contained better. You can put mattresses on the floor inside and sleep in it.

If you have a house that has more than one floor it might be better to set up your time on the top floor. Heat rises!

If you find yourself in that situation you may pick a bedroom, possibly the master and set up in there.

Something that will work without a lot of rearranging and can even be used even in normal times is the new Bed Tent.
1670570272850.png

Alvantor Bed Canopy

This can be used on any bed or the floor with your own mattress. It has many opening, screens and zip up doors. You lay it out on top of your bed frame and put your mattress inside. Or if using in another room you can use a blow up mattress.

Many buy this for kids to help settle them down. Pets love it too, kinda like a 'den' where they feel safe and cozy. It has also helped many children that are autistic. So all around good.

It will retain heat better and you can get it in twin, full or queen.

I would recommend covering it with a light weight blanket for another layer of warmth protection.

There are other brands that are like this so check it out on Amazon.

LEEDOR Bed Tent Dream Tents

Skywin Bed Tent Twin

NTK SLEEPOD Bed Tent - Pop Up Privacy Tent for Single Size Bed

Remember too if you have a four poster bed to throw a blanket over the top and add curtains. That's how people kept warm while sleeping in the 'olde dayes'. :)

Also get yourself a sleep cap, they aren't expensive but can hold off some chills and heat loss without over heating you inside.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many preppers recommend that during the cold months if there's a SHTF event or a natural disaster or right now fuel shortages ways to keep warm.

One is to designate one room the family can gather in to save heat, only heating that room with either a kerosene heater, a gas propane heater like Mr. Buddy or a room where you have a fireplace or wood stove.

This room should be closed off from the rest of the house to retain the heat. You can use curtains to block off a hallway which has the doors closed and using a shower curtain rod spread across the beginning of the hallway and hang the curtains (the heavier the better) and allow access but keeping in the warm air in your main room.

Another thing suggested is setting up a camping tent where the family can gather which will make a 'mini-climate' where the body heat is contained better. You can put mattresses on the floor inside and sleep in it.

If you have a house that has more than one floor it might be better to set up your time on the top floor. Heat rises!

If you find yourself in that situation you may pick a bedroom, possibly the master and set up in there.

Something that will work without a lot of rearranging and can even be used even in normal times is the new Bed Tent.
View attachment 324555
Alvantor Bed Canopy

This can be used on any bed or the floor with your own mattress. It has many opening, screens and zip up doors. You lay it out on top of your bed frame and put your mattress inside. Or if using in another room you can use a blow up mattress.

Many buy this for kids to help settle them down. Pets love it too, kinda like a 'den' where they feel safe and cozy. It has also helped many children that are autistic. So all around good.

I would recommend covering it with a light weight blanket for another layer of warmth protection.

Skywin Bed Tent Twin

Remember too if you have a four poster bed to throw a blanket over the top and add curtains. That's how people kept warm while sleeping in the 'olde dayes'. :)

Also get yourself a sleep cap, they aren't expensive but can hold off some chills and heat loss without over heating you inside.
I use a small space heater in my bedroom, while turning off the heat to my home. It does not get below freezing. Pipes freeze in the winter up north if you have no heat. When I was in the boy scouts winter camping, I used to put a large rock near the camp fire, then once it was hot, but not scalding, I put a towel around it and put it in my sleeping bag. A hot water bottle is cleaner.

I had a hand warmer that ran on lighter fluid. I put that in my sleeping bag too, especially when I did not have a hot rock.

Zippo makes a 12 hour refillable handwarmer that fits in a pants pocket. It costs less than $19.99.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I use a small space heater in my bedroom, while turning off the heat to my home. It does not get below freezing. Pipes freeze in the winter up north if you have no heat.
I do the same thing. I'm in the NE and have only turned on the furnace a few times since it got cold.
If you're in a large room with a heat source it's best to cordon off the other rooms with curtains. I have some hanging at the entrance to the hallway.
When I was in the boy scouts winter camping, I used to put a large rock near the camp fire, then once it was hot, but not scalding, I put a towel around it and put it in my sleeping bag. A hot water bottle is cleaner.
Yes, great ideas! I've been looking into heating up a salt block and wrapping that in a towel and putting that under the covers.
I had a hand warmer that ran on lighter fluid. I put that in my sleeping bag too, especially when I did not have a hot rock.

Zippo makes a 12 hour refillable handwarmer that fits in a pants pocket. It costs less than $19.99.
I'll have to check them out.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟56,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
We couldn't afford all those offers/options, not even the zippo hand warmer.
We just used layers, two or three pairs of pants or longjohns, three or four shirts, sweater and jacket , and so on.. Eventually the weather got warmer, thanks be to the Creator from whom all things flow.

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

View attachment 324555
Alvantor Bed Canopy

Skywin Bed Tent Twin

The economy of resources and energy is going to be a hot (forgive the pun) topic when the stuff hits the fan.
Every little thing we can do will be crucial in our helping our selves and our families survive.
We have been discussing the viability of our culture, indeed our nation if the power were to go off. I hate to think it but I suspect millions will simply freeze to death, starve, and perish due to illness.
We are struggling to get a basic solar power system set up. Mainly for our economy freezer and frig. We live in the south so the cold is not that much a problem. We will just learn to endure the heat.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We couldn't afford all those offers/options, not even the zippo hand warmer.
We just used layers, two or three pairs of pants or longjohns, three or four shirts, sweater and jacket , and so on.. Eventually the weather got warmer, thanks be to the Creator from whom all things flow.
I spent 16 years in northern New York as a kid, and 3 years in ND while in the AF. Putting on a couple layers of clothing helps a lot to keep in your natural body heat. Just be careful not to sweat. :openmouth:

Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The economy of resources and energy is going to be a hot (forgive the pun) topic when the stuff hits the fan.
Every little thing we can do will be crucial in our helping our selves and our families survive.
We have been discussing the viability of our culture, indeed our nation if the power were to go off. I hate to think it but I suspect millions will simply freeze to death, starve, and perish due to illness.
We are struggling to get a basic solar power system set up. Mainly for our economy freezer and frig. We live in the south so the cold is not that much a problem. We will just learn to endure the heat.
Yes, I live in a place where both extreme cold and heat are a possibility and preperation for both is essential.

I am looking into something used in third world countries where it gets over 100 on average, daily.
These require no electricity or fuel even.
Here's a quick vid that shows the principle behind it.

I'm thinking that something similar can be made even without wind using a solar powered fan.

Opps, Someone beat me to it!

Upvote 0