North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would really appreciate it if anyone has some spare moments to pray this week for my stepfather, Jerry Gillam. He has just been transferred to UC Davis Medical Center in California. Several weeks ago you may remember me asking for prayer for his leg artery by-pass surgery. That had gone pretty well, but now the graft site (where there is a gortex graft) has become seriously infected, and he is on IV antibiotics. The plan is now to do another by-pass (by-passing the infected graft site) with either some vein from his other leg or with some kind of new different technology they have at UCD. Then the infected gortex graft will be removed. The infection treatment will need to be on-going, and as my stepfather is diabetic, his kidneys are not in very good shape. The kidneys need to be able to get rid of toxins from the antibiotics and their effects.

So I ask for people who read this to help me pray for my stepfather, the surgery, the surgeons and medical staff, and for my mother (June Gillam).

Thank you!

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Karen I join in prayer for you and your family. This must be a very difficult time for all of you.

Our Father, help us to remember that we are carved into the palm of your hand and that you are with us even when it seems you are not. I pray for healing for this man and his family. Help them to grow stronger in their faith in you as a result of their troubles.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, my stepdad had his surgery last night, it lasted 11 hours! He is in the ICU now. They removed the gortex bit of his vein graft and have replaced it now with veins from both of his arms. It wasn't really as much new vein as they would have liked for his leg, and it may not be enough to keep the lower leg going. We will just have to wait and see. Hopefully, he will be able to recover from this very long surgery fairly soon. :prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks a lot, Tom, and everyone.

He is still in the Intensive Care Unit, and is on a ventilator until they can be sure he is circulating enough oxygen around. He's not very comfortable because he doesn't want a lot of pain killers. He can't speak because of the tubes in his throat, and he can't sit up on his own yet. They have to turn him every couple of hours to prevent bed-sores. It's not nice. My mother now has a cold (!) probably from the stress, and can only be around him if she wears a mask!

:sigh:

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Praise God! I just got a phone call from my mom. She said they have been able to take Pa (that's what we call my stepdad) off the respirator! :clap: He will be so much more comfortable!

I also found out that the wound where the infected gortex graft was removed is actually an open wound. The infection actually ate away some of the skin there, and they aren't able to close it yet. That, and also the function of his kidneys are the two things that now require the focus of prayer! :prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
An excerpt from today's email from my mom:

We need specific prayers for healing for Jerry's kidneys right now as they are doing some of their work but not quite as much as he needs them to do. That is my specific prayer intention right now, for his kidneys to take a turn and go in the right direction, either bit by
bit or all at once, according to God's will.

And strength for us, his family, as we all go through this process.

Thank you all. :groupray:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.