Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What can we learn from Job's family and friends? What is their part in Job's calamity?
My own experience is that I came to learn how quickly people judge you by appearances, or do not wish to be bothered with your problems and give you cheap Scriptural references to get you out of the way. Sad but true.

There are a few genuine saints who refuse to ignore those in trouble, and listen to the Lord. Jesus will always be "closer than a brother."

Reactions: HopeSings
Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My own experience is that I came to learn how quickly people judge you by appearances, or do not wish to be bothered with your problems and give you cheap Scriptural references to get you out of the way. Sad but true.

There are a few genuine saints who refuse to ignore those in trouble, and listen to the Lord. Jesus will always be "closer than a brother."
Yes.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟450,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Does seem like it often happens that way, and I suppose there are alot of reasons for it.

What I've come to learn is that it is hard for persons to understand another's troubles ...
unless they themselves have experienced the same trouble also.

Until I experienced some things, I did not relate so well to what others were suffering.
Sometimes all I could do was offer a Scripture verse, and pray for the one suffering.
There was empathy, but not understanding.
Without understanding, it is hard to know what more to do.

But once we ourselves have experienced some troubles, and walked thru them with God ...
we can so much more relate to the sufferings of others in the same boat ...
and demonstrate true compassion towards them.

I very much like this verse:

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, Who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."
~ 2 Corinthians 1:3

Reactions: RandyPNW
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟72,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What can we learn from Job's family and friends? What is their part in Job's calamity?
You have a great question. Two unusual things I have thought about for many years is how great Job's friends were. Ignorant in the things of God, but they fasted with Job. So nothing superficial about them, they tried but their advice was just not good.

As to the family, seven sons and three daughters died. There was no restoration for them. Why? They were part of the challenge for Job. I am still thinking on this but tentatively I have to conclude that deaths of certain saints are a test for others. It may seem unfair but is it? First, the ones left behind have some soul searching and have to overcome, making them better believers. That happened to Job and likely his friends. Secondly, why do we have to think that God will not even the score in heaven for those that left early?

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟109,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does seem like it often happens that way, and I suppose there are alot of reasons for it.

What I've come to learn is that it is hard for persons to understand another's troubles ...
unless they themselves have experienced the same trouble also.

Until I experienced some things, I did not relate so well to what others were suffering.
Sometimes all I could do was offer a Scripture verse, and pray for the one suffering.
There was empathy, but not understanding.
Without understanding, it is hard to know what more to do.

But once we ourselves have experienced some troubles, and walked thru them with God ...
we can so much more relate to the sufferings of others in the same boat ...
and demonstrate true compassion towards them.

I very much like this verse:

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, Who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."
~ 2 Corinthians 1:3
Simply brilliant! :)

Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟35,137.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hey there

I understand Jobs friends to hold to a certain worldview and to a certain extent Job. That you are blessed/righteous when things are going well for you. But when you encounter suffering it is a sign that God is displeased with you.

Many times our friends do hold this worldview... You are a Christian why are you suffering? But through the suffering, God is shown to be compassionate and merciful as He carries us through.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey there

I understand Jobs friends to hold to a certain worldview and to a certain extent Job. That you are blessed/righteous when things are going well for you. But when you encounter suffering it is a sign that God is displeased with you.

Many times our friends do hold this worldview... You are a Christian why are you suffering? But through the suffering, God is shown to be compassionate and merciful as He carries us through.
I think of 1 Corinthians chapter 4. The apostles thirsted. This doesn't seem to he thirst for water. Surely they could get water. Perhaps it's the thirst that Christ experienced on the cross. Perhaps it's the thirst for the redemption of their bodies of death. We see it in Romans chapter 8.

It's funny how that scripture says that demons and pestilence can't separate us from God's love but people will flee from you if you struggle with mental illness. They wouldn't be able to deal with Paul's thorn in the flesh either I assume

Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟35,137.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think of 1 Corinthians chapter 4. The apostles thirsted. This doesn't seem to he thirst for water. Surely they could get water. Perhaps it's the thirst that Christ experienced on the cross. Perhaps it's the thirst for the redemption of their bodies of death. We see it in Romans chapter 8.

It's funny how that scripture says that demons and pestilence can't separate us from God's love but people will flee from you if you struggle with mental illness. They wouldn't be able to deal with Paul's thorn in the flesh either I assume
Hi there Hope

I do believe it was for real water.. Paul is explaining to the Corinthians the extent of the suffering that the apostle endured for the name of Christ.. he uses words like scum of the earth, garbage of the world. Exhorting the Corinthians to persevere and how to respond regardless of this treatment. They were persecuted to the point of death for their faith.

Yes some do separate themselves, sometimes ignorance. Sometimes fear. But not all people will flee. Christians do understand this struggle and some of them know how to come alongside during this time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there Hope

I do believe it was for real water.. Paul is extinguish to the Corinthians the extent of the suffering that the apostle endured for the name of Christ.. he uses words like scum of the earth, garbage of the world. Exhorting the Corinthians to persevere and how to respond regardless of this treatment. They were persecuted to the point of death for their faith.

Yes some do separate themselves, sometimes ignorance. Sometimes fear. But not all people will flee. Christians do understand this struggle and some of them know how to come alongside during this time.
Why couldn't the apostles get water? There were plenty of sources for water.

Don't you see that they thirsted for the love of these rich Christians in 1 Corinthians 4? See Romans 8. They also waited for the redemption of their body. It's a thirst.

See Psalms and the cross for this same thirst. David drank his own tears and Jerimiah longed for a river of tears in his own eyes. Thirsty tears.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rose_bud

Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟35,137.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Why couldn't the apostles get water? There were plenty of sources for water.

Don't you see that they thirsted for the love of these rich Christians in 1 Corinthians 4? See Romans 8. They also waited for the redemption of their body. It's a thirst.

See Psalms and the cross for this same thirst. David drank his own tears and Jerimiah longed for a river of tears in his own eyes. Thirsty tears.
If you read the context of the letter, it cannot be "spiritual" thirst for love from rich Christians. But either way I am not going to debate this. It appears as if you have already made up your mind about this interpretation.

Be blessed

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you read the context of the letter, it cannot be "spiritual" thirst for love from rich Christians. But either way I am not going to debate this. It appears as if you have already made up your mind about this interpretation.

Be blessed
Paul complained about getting no love. You know full well the apostles had water.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Be blessed
What would you call the "inward groaning" that we see in Romans chapter 8? I call it a hunger and thirst. See they need clothes as well.

2 Corinthians 5:4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Be blessed
2 Corinthians 5:4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.

Upvote 0