✟676,903.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He rebuked three but not Elihu.

Scholars believe that Job war originally composed with Job and his three friends. Elihu was added later. That is probably why Elihu escaped being rebuked along with the original three.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟831,749.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Scholars believe that Job war originally composed with Job and his three friends. Elihu was added later. That is probably why Elihu escaped being rebuked along with the original three.
Elihu probably wasn't chastised because he was right about Job.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Elihu probably wasn't chastised because he was right about Job.
Do we ever talk about Jobs family and friend's? Why do we always talk about Job instead? Why do we crush him into dust with our judgment? If your best friend gets sick and his family dies will you say it's because your friend sinned?

The church is blind because of its sin of division and worldly politics. They sleep and are sick as scripture says. God blinded the church like Israel because they followd the same path of folly that Israel did. They boasted against the branches but they didn't learn from Israel's example as Paul teaches us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟831,749.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do we ever talk about Jobs family and friend's? Why do we always talk about Job instead? Why do we crush him into dust with our judgment? If your best friend gets sick and his family dies will you say it's because your friend sinned?

The church is blind because of its sin of division and worldly politics. They sleep and are sick as scripture says. God blinded the church like Israel because they followd the same path of folly that Israel did. They boasted against the branches but they didn't learn from Israel's example as Paul teaches us.
The most important message in the book of Job is his self righteous approach and how God used Satan to reveal the truth to Job. After seeing this truth Job humbled himself before God and has a righteousness through faith. This message is what most Christians need to hear

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The most important message in the book of Job is his self righteous approach and how God used Satan to reveal the truth to Job. After seeing this truth Job humbled himself before God and has a righteousness through faith. This message is what most Christians need to hear
So our friends who die are self righteous sinners.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's funny how the self righteous are full of confidence and there is no pain in their death. Meanwhile the righteous in God's eyes suffer like Jesus, Job and the apostles suffered.

Job's family and friends were self righteous but we don't talk about them.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟831,749.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's funny how the self righteous are full of confidence and there is no pain in their death. Meanwhile the righteous in God's eyes suffer like Jesus, Job and the apostles suffered.

Job's family and friends were self righteous but we don't talk about them.
I guess you just ignore Job 32:1.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟676,903.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I was taught that the Book of Job deals with a simple question that has occurred to all of us at one time or another,. Why does a good man (or woman) have to suffer?

Reactions: HopeSings
Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess you just ignore Job 32:1.
I'm not sure what the Scripture means but remember that Jobs friends were wrong. They said that Job sinned and was punished but Job defended himself against their self righteous judgment. If Job was punished for sin and his friends were not then they must have believed that they were righteous and perfect. They seem self righteous.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟831,749.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was taught that the Book of Job deals with a simple question that has occurred to all of us at one time or another,. Why does a good man (or woman) have to suffer?
I think that it goes deeper than that and brings about a great joy at what true faith entails.

All of the work necessary for salvation has already been done by Jesus Christ. But the part that man doesn't get is they must let go of this world.

Job loved that man heaped glory on him and was proud of all that he had. It is almost impossible for a rich man to find salvation because they find glory in their riches.

I would much rather suffer in this world to be humble so that I might find riches in eternal heaven.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that it goes deeper than that and brings about a great joy at what true faith entails.

All of the work necessary for salvation has already been done by Jesus Christ. But the part that man doesn't get is they must let go of this world.

Job loved that man heaped glory on him and was proud of all that he had. It is almost impossible for a rich man to find salvation because they find glory in their riches.

I would much rather suffer in this world to be humble so that I might find riches in eternal heaven.
Job loved glory? Or maybe he hated death, disease and judgmental friends?

Reactions: Dale
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟831,749.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what the Scripture means but remember that Jobs friends were wrong. They said that Job sinned and was punished but Job defended himself against their self righteous judgment. If Job was punished for sin and his friends were not then they must have believed that they were righteous and perfect. They seem self righteous.
Everytime I read your replies I wonder just how little you have read of this book. God does punish Job's three friends while he restores all that Job lost after he humbled himself before God.

God does not punish Elihu because he was correct about Job.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everytime I read your replies I wonder just how little you have read of this book. God does punish Job's three friends while he restores all that Job lost after he humbled himself before God.

I'm just noting people's obsession with Job but not his friends. It's curious. I don't understand it.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It seems like Job didn't think he deserved his sufferings but his friends did. Both were wrong.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What was the sin of Job's friends?

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think of 1 Corinthians 4. The rich church looked down on the poor apostles as if they were fools. Maybe the poor apostles deserved their treatment like Job? but it's a blessing not a curse. The rich church are the ones who were wrong

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟831,749.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm just noting people's obsession with Job but not his friends. It's curious. I don't understand it.
I can't tell you why other are obsessed with Job but I like the book. It's a great allegorical story of our path to true faith. The three friends are like same judgemental people we find in every church. The important part is how finds that true faith which leads to God's rest, righteousness.

Upvote 0