Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
So...at the start we had Jacob and somebody who was presumably the physical incarnation of 'Smokey' on the beach. But...missing from that picture was one Richard Alpert. Presumably he was also around then (maybe he arrived on that ship the two were watching?) but I suspect he was on the island before then.

Mention has been made of Jacobs fluent Korean.

It has also been shown a few times that the others use latin to communicate among themselves.

It looks like Jacob and 'Smokey' had some sort of magical pact with each other - most likely Jacob had Smokey 'bound' somehow. Smokey really didn't care for that and really wanted Jacob dead, but the terms of the pact didn't allow for that under most circumstances. So...who was Jacob that he would have the knowledge required to formulate/make use of such a pact in the first place?

My suspicion, in light of the other stuff...Jacob (and probably Alpert) were originally priests, probably Catholic, on one of the very early missions to the orient. Somehow, they ended up on the island and essentially 'founded' the 'Others', 'bnding' Smokey in the process.

I also suspect there is a lot more going on here than just the death of Jacob and the freeing of Smokey.

I doubt that Jacob is/was Catholic, seeing how the Egyptian imagery points to a tradition that is VASTLY more ancient than that. (And if we were to conclude that the statue was there before Jacob arrived: the tapestry he creates on the loom looks pretty "Egyptian", too, as far as style is concerned.)

Upvote 0

sweeticus

Mar 5, 2009
✟15,774.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think Richard came to the island on the Black Rock. I think the Black Rock is the ship we were watching approach the island in the finale's first scene. There was also the scene of Richard working on a ship in a bottle, and the ship looked a lot like the Black Rock.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2009
✟7,661.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think Richard came to the island on the Black Rock. I think the Black Rock is the ship we were watching approach the island in the finale's first scene. There was also the scene of Richard working on a ship in a bottle, and the ship looked a lot like the Black Rock.

I'm totally with you on that one.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why be disappointed when we don't know at all that your theory is even true? Personally, I don't think it is. I think they were all chosen for a reason, but I suppose we'll find out in the final season.

Upvote 0

A Catholic Friend

Hello all!
Aug 6, 2009
USA
✟10,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I saw a Lost rerun on Saturday and they recaptured Jack, Kate, Sawyer and this time Hurley. They did not need Hurley except to tell the people at the beach not to come to the dock side of the island.

If Jacob has powers he could have trapped or captured the 4 at any time while they were on the island. Why go to all that trouble with Ben being captured and Michael getting rid of Ana Lucia and Libby and then taking Jack and friends into the jungle to get ambushed and captured?

Jacob could have just appeared and taken them or Ben and the others could have taken them at camp many times before. When you go back and see an old show some things don't make sense.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I saw a Lost rerun on Saturday and they recaptured Jack, Kate, Sawyer and this time Hurley. They did not need Hurley except to tell the people at the beach not to come to the dock side of the island.

If Jacob has powers he could have trapped or captured the 4 at any time while they were on the island. Why go to all that trouble with Ben being captured and Michael getting rid of Ana Lucia and Libby and then taking Jack and friends into the jungle to get ambushed and captured?

Jacob could have just appeared and taken them or Ben and the others could have taken them at camp many times before. When you go back and see an old show some things don't make sense.

Ah, but it was not Jacob who wanted them captured - it was Ben. Only Ben. (But yes, the fact that the writers sometimes make things up as they go along does show, occasionally.)

Upvote 0

A Catholic Friend

Hello all!
Aug 6, 2009
USA
✟10,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was wondering is the show about Jacob or will things change and all the children become the important characters?

Aaron, Ji Yeon, Jack's son David, Sawyers daughter, Jacobs son if he has one could they all be a bigger part of the show later?

There could be a big twist that no one knows about that changes the whole show?

I sure hope not because I like the main characters like Jack, Kate Sawyer, Hurley, Sayid, Locke, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think they answered that with the Lighthouse episode. Jacob can just tell some people what to do. other have to be lead there a different way.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Do you really think there's going to be sufficient time to clear up the Widmore/Linus-conflict? I suspect that Desmond's involvement (which is sure to come) may resolve some loose ties connected to that narrative thread, but it certainly won't suffice to completely resolve the whole subplot. There's simply not enough runtime left, if you ask me. Not if they want to sufficiently untangle the main plot shown in this season so far, anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thinker

Senior Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
Alaska
Visit site
✟7,155.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
More and more, given the way things are going for the lostaways in the 'Flash Sideways', I wonder if Jacob was really 'good'...or if the smoke monster is really completely evil.

Jacob looks to have been manipulating the lostaways for a long time now - and the ones he manipulated, well if the Flash Sideways are to be believed, his manipulations made things worse - often very much worse - for many of them. Jacks kid dies young. Hurley thinks he's cursed. Sayid gets to see the love of his life killed. And so on - and all that is at least somewhat different in the timeline where Jacob did not meddle.

So...is this a case of 'justifiable evil for the greater good'...or just a 'master chess player' type deal?

Upvote 0