Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand what you are saying here, but CO2 is not air pollution. It is plant food. It has been present in the atmosphere since before life began. We permit the EPA to deem it to be air pollution because they have been so successful in the past and have almost run out of a reason to support their budget. So now they call CO2 and water vapor a pollutant and they have convinced a generation of oversheltered adult children to believe that these natural components of atmosphere pose an actual and immediate threat to life.

Although this is an addition to the topic of discussion I'll comment regardless. Bryan, you're just plain wrong. There has always been naturally-occurring CO2 but there is now an excess, far above natural levels, that has caused a huge imbalance in the atmosphere. Nowhere that I know of has water vapor been called a pollutant.

If you're into an anti-government rant this discussion on travel isn't the place to do it. This is a Christian forum, period.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Although this is an addition to the topic of discussion I'll comment regardless. Bryan, you're just plain wrong. There has always been naturally-occurring CO2 but there is now an excess, far above natural levels, that has caused a huge imbalance in the atmosphere. Nowhere that I know of has water vapor been called a pollutant.

If you're into an anti-government rant this discussion on travel isn't the place to do it. This is a Christian forum, period.

The OP thinks that travel is a sin becuase of pollution. This is a legitimate part of this discussion because CO2 is considered a pollutant.

The Warmistas say that water vapor is a major contributor to global warming/cooling/whatever, so someone does call it a pollutant.

Looking at the governments treatment of Christians lately, I'd say that a Christian forum is the right place for any government rant.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Traveling is not a sin. Pollution is not a sin.

As for global warming....Have you ever considered the population explosion? The body heat adding to the heating of the planet. Your breath contains CO2 and contributes to pollutants? Something to also consider.

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟15,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MWood wrote:
Traveling is not a sin. Pollution is not a sin.

Hi MWood,

It's true that traveling in and of itself is not necessarily a sin. But a lot depends on the context.

It's like sex. In and of itself it's not a sin; God created. But when done with someone we're not married to, it is a sin. The context is all important.

And the same applies to travel, pollution, and the effect it has on the environment. There's no perpetual command in the Bible saying "thou shalt not travel". But there is a moral principle in the Bible indicating to us that it's wrong to destroy the earth. Is it fair to call a wilful violation of a scriptural principle sin?

Upvote 0

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
MWood wrote:

Hi MWood,

It's true that traveling in and of itself is not necessarily a sin. But a lot depends on the context.

It's like sex. In and of itself it's not a sin; God created. But when done with someone we're not married to, it is a sin. The context is all important.

And the same applies to travel, pollution, and the effect it has on the environment. There's no perpetual command in the Bible saying "thou shalt not travel". But there is a moral principle in the Bible indicating to us that it's wrong to destroy the earth. Is it fair to call a wilful violation of a scriptural principle sin?

No, I don't think it is.

If it was, that would mean that every time we use a car or bus to work, we're destroying the earth willingly, and therefore, each time we go to work or come home, we sin.

Every time we go grocery shopping..a sin. Every time we go to the movies..a sin.

People who use vehicles are not making the 'choice' to destroy the earth. We would all be driving electric vehicles by now if we had the choice. But since we don't have the choice and that we have to pollute the air to do anything in society..I can't possibly think it's a sin.

Also, if it IS a sin, then that means everything you do leads to sin..as it has to be transported by truck somewhere. Soo..even buying things are a sin? That's the argument you make.

Upvote 0

LoveBiotic

Jan 13, 2015
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks guys for the responses. Im still at this point with the guilt

I strive to be really healthy and alot of the things I want to have I order online or drive to get.

Alot of the things I like I have to order online (i like organic clothing(hemp and cotton), certain foods, wines, movies,etc) and alot of things I have to drive to go get. (farmers market, movies, eating out)..
I feel guilty no matter what when it comes to driving for some reason... Wierd guilt syndrome im going through. Still feel like im doing something wrong..Trying to good through some things but feeling guilty if I pollute by driving. Asking god for help with this

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟15,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Silverblade wrote:
If it was, that would mean that every time we use a car or bus to work, we're destroying the earth willingly, and therefore, each time we go to work or come home, we sin.

Every time we go grocery shopping..a sin. Every time we go to the movies..a sin.

Hi Silverblade,

Do you think some of your statements could be at least slightly exaggerated? I, for example, wouldn't say every time we go grocery shopping is a sin. Nor every time we go to the movies. We have a lot of freedom in Christ, and are not bound by man-made 'rules'.

That said, there are guiding PRINCIPLES clarified throughout the Bible. When we go against those moral principles, we sin.

The bottom line is love, and consideration for others besides ourselves. If we know that certain transport modes are more likely to harm the environment, then it just seems like the loving thing to do to consider alternatives. These alternative methods may cause some sacrifice on our part; but self-sacrifice is a part of love as well.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I strive to be really healthy and alot of the things I want to have I order online or drive to get.

Alot of the things I like I have to order online (i like organic clothing(hemp and cotton), certain foods, wines, movies,etc) and alot of things I have to drive to go get. (farmers market, movies, eating out)..
I feel guilty no matter what when it comes to driving for some reason... Wierd guilt syndrome im going through. Still feel like im doing something wrong..Trying to good through some things but feeling guilty if I pollute by driving. Asking god for help with this

You need to study your Bible. It will help you too better understand such things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshuanazar

Servant
Mar 29, 2015
In Christ
✟8,815.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The way I see it, Jesus is coming back soon. So soon, that there is no way we could possibly destroy the earth with pollution before he does return. I'm not saying that we should get out and just dump waste, but should we really waste time arguing over something that doesn't really matter? Shouldn't we just focus on Jesus and sharing the gospel? I will soon be taking a road trip to see my old youth pastor and I see nothing wrong with it.

• Agree
Reactions: Techo
Upvote 0

joshuanazar

Servant
Mar 29, 2015
In Christ
✟8,815.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Remember Romans 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

Dude, this guilt isn't from God. It is the devil trying to make you feel miserable.

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟15,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
rev 11:18
Joshua wrote:
The way I see it, Jesus is coming back soon. So soon, that there is no way we could possibly destroy the earth with pollution before he does return. I'm not saying that we should get out and just dump waste, but should we really waste time arguing over something that doesn't really matter? Shouldn't we just focus on Jesus and sharing the gospel? I will soon be taking a road trip to see my old youth pastor and I see nothing wrong with it.

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for sharing you feel Jesus is returning soon. I share that perspective.

I notice you say there is no way we could destroy the earth before Jesus returns. I guess my question is, how does fit in with this verse from the Bible: "God will destroy those who destroy the earth"? (Revelation 11:18) Who do you think is being referred to with the phrase "those who destroy the earth"?

Furthermore, would we agree that concern for the environment and a desire to be a good steward of what God has given us are good Christian attitudes to cultivate? If so, can we really say it doesn't matter to explore ways NOT to destroy the earth?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sharon Hayes

BigRoost
Jun 13, 2015
✟9,498.00
Faith
Christian
I love just traveling and getting in my car and going. I started to wonder about the pollution caused from traveling. I want to go on a road trip with my friends and just travel the US right now but Im feeling a sense of anxiety and guilt. I also love ordering my clothes from organic companies online... And feel like the pollution caused from the delivery is bad...

Help me release my doubts
Lord Jesus told us that he came so that we may enjoy life and enjoy life more abundantly. So, wouldn't traveling to interesting places, or lounging on a pink sand beach while gazing at a turquoise ocean be a part of that? And it's good that you want to protect the environment, but either you go out to shop or you order online and the products are brought to you. Either way, vehicle transportation is involved. Be free in the Lord and in the glory of his might, because mental bondage is on the air, always ready to rob us of the opportunity to enjoy this life God has given us.

Upvote 0

Techo

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2023
Melbourne
✟45,702.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Well... to start with... being anxious about something that, realistically, none of us can do anything about is not consistent with the trust and faith we have that God has it all in control.

We are told that there is no condemnation so if some other voice is trying to tell us that we are sinning over some action then we have to start to question where that voice is coming from. Are we walking after the Holy Spirit or listening to the wisdom of the world?

Rom_8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
1Jn 3:21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

1Co 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

The issues that we must deal with is how we can better know and follow Jesus and his way for us. The Prince of this world does not want us to love and serve God so sets up distractions to make people anxious and create fear in our society.

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
1Jn 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

If we find that some concern is creating fear and anxiety then we can be pretty certain that is not of God. God does not work in us by fear or anxiety. They are a destructive emotion and we know who is a destroyer... rather than the Creator.

Upvote 0