Is the Earth Flat?

Degrees of Earth flatness:

• It's not flat. It's a giant, spinning spaceball.

Votes: 90 82.6%
  • It's flat, but all the other planets are giant, spinning spaceballs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's flat, and a dome surrounds it.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • It's flat, a dome surrounds it, and the Earth is the center of the universe.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • It's flat, domed, and planets/stars are actually illusions/objects in the dome.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • It's all of the above, and the government is covering it all up at the behest of Satan.

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
This is my thing against the flat earth.

I live on the North coast of Wales. It is 71 miles (roughly) from the beach at my town to the Isle of Man. It's a crystal clear day. Why can't I see the Isle of Man?

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,018,859.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I live on the North coast of Wales. It is 71 miles (roughly) from the beach at my town to the Isle of Man. It's a crystal clear day. Why can't I see the Isle of Man?

You need to get some flat earth binoculars!

Upvote 0

Edwin Wright

Mar 23, 2023
Nova Scotia
Visit site
✟19,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Edwin Wright

Mar 23, 2023
Nova Scotia
Visit site
✟19,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I assume that you're not too far from Yr Wyddfa. You may be interested in this video depicting the Alps from the top of Yr Wyddfa: Record evidence of the flat earth.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I assume that you're not too far from Yr Wyddfa. You may be interested in this video depicting the Alps from the top of Yr Wyddfa: Record evidence of the flat earth.

Let's step back and go for what I said in my post: I live on the North coast of Wales. It is 71 miles (roughly) from the beach at my town to the Isle of Man. It's a crystal clear day. Why can't I see the Isle of Man?

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,189,282.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I did not say that the proof in the case of the concept in question was on my website (but it will be). I was referring to a nineteenth-century writer. Once again, your presumptuousness consumes you.
I have not been able to find your post on this nineteenth century writer. I can only assume you are referring to a different thread.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,189,282.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The video doesn't give details on where the flights were when they diverted, nor does it give any testimony from the pilots as to why they chose the particular destinations, which were likely based on a number of factors. It is all moot anyway since flight times in the Southern hemisphere cannot possibly work on a flat earth.

Upvote 0

Edwin Wright

Mar 23, 2023
Nova Scotia
Visit site
✟19,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Let's step back and go for what I said in my post: I live on the North coast of Wales. It is 71 miles (roughly) from the beach at my town to the Isle of Man. It's a crystal clear day. Why can't I see the Isle of Man?
Quite frankly, I have no idea why you can't see the Isle of Man because I am not there. Do you have access to binoculars or a high-zoom camera?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Quite frankly, I have no idea why you can't see the Isle of Man because I am not there. Do you have access to binoculars or a high-zoom camera?

Cop out answer if there was one.

In the flat earth claims, there would be no horizon, which is a measly 3 miles when you're at sea level. In a flat earth, on a nice clear day like it is today, I should easily see the Isle of Man at its distance of 71 miles away without the need for binoculars or any serious viewing equipment. It wouldn't be an easy thing to see but I should be able to see it regardless.

I cannot see it, only the Irish Sea and the numerous wind farms outside my town.

So why, if we are on a flat earth, can I not see the Isle of Man 70 miles away, but somehow a person on the top of Yr Wyddfa can see the bloody Alps, nearly 950 miles away? Explain that.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Edwin Wright

Mar 23, 2023
Nova Scotia
Visit site
✟19,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have not been able to find your post on this nineteenth century writer. I can only assume you are referring to a different thread.

The video doesn't give details on where the flights were when they diverted, nor does it give any testimony from the pilots as to why they chose the particular destinations, which were likely based on a number of factors. It is all moot anyway since flight times in the Southern hemisphere cannot possibly work on a flat earth.
The video speaks for itself. Take it or leave it.

Upvote 0

Edwin Wright

Mar 23, 2023
Nova Scotia
Visit site
✟19,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

In the flat earth claims, there would be no horizon, which is a measly 3 miles when you're at sea level. In a flat earth, on a nice clear day like it is today, I should easily see the Isle of Man at its distance of 71 miles away without the need for binoculars or any serious viewing equipment. It wouldn't be an easy thing to see but I should be able to see it regardless.

I cannot see it, only the Irish Sea and the numerous wind farms outside my town.

So why, if we are on a flat earth, can I not see the Isle of Man 70 miles away, but somehow a person on the top of Yr Wyddfa can see the bloody Alps, nearly 950 miles away? Explain that.
It's not a cop out. Just because you need telescopic enhancement does not mean that the earth is not flat. It simply means that the Isle of Man is beyond the angular resolution of the naked eye. If the earth were spheroidal, you would not be able to see the Isle of Man from your location on the beach with any optical equipment. The top of Yr Wyddfa is significant because its elevation puts you above near-field elevations between Yr Wyddfa and the Alps that would otherwise block your view.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
It's not a cop out. Just because you need telescopic enhancement does not mean that the earth is not flat. It simply means that the Isle of Man is beyond the angular resolution of the naked eye. If the earth were spheroidal, you would not be able to see the Isle of Man from your location on the beach with any optical equipment. The top of Yr Wyddfa is significant because its elevation puts you above near-field elevations between Yr Wyddfa and the Alps that would otherwise block your view.

First off: make sure you clear your quotes/replies. I've done it before and it really is the most annoying thing to happen because if you're not careful, it screws up a post and makes it unreadable.

And secondly, yes, it is a cop-out because the same statement about the angular resolution can easily apply to the Yr Wyddfa and Alps situation as it is with me and the Isle of Man. In fact, the Alps should be still be harder to see from its distance of 950 miles even from a mountain top BECAUSE of angular resolution of the eye. It does not stand to basic reason that I have less of a chance of seeing the Isle of Man when I'm at the same level as it than someone on the top of Yr Wyddfa should be able to see the Alps, even though the latter is at a significantly greater distance, by a factor of 13.5.

And it is my point. I cannot see the Isle of Man on a flat earth, even though by every description of the flat earth and every claim by a flat earther, I should be able to, yet I cannot on a spherical earth because of the horizon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What this means is that the vanishing point of the tower bases) is closer than the vanishing point of the tower structures, hence giving the illusion that the lower part of the object has "shrunk" and “disappeared” over the (alleged) curvature.
So if the "eye" were higher the top would vanish first?
That is not true and really makes no sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Edwin Wright

Mar 23, 2023
Nova Scotia
Visit site
✟19,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
First off: make sure you clear your quotes/replies. I've done it before and it really is the most annoying thing to happen because if you're not careful, it screws up a post and makes it unreadable.

And secondly, yes, it is a cop-out because the same statement about the angular resolution can easily apply to the Yr Wyddfa and Alps situation as it is with me and the Isle of Man. In fact, the Alps should be still be harder to see from its distance of 950 miles even from a mountain top BECAUSE of angular resolution of the eye. It does not stand to basic reason that I have less of a chance of seeing the Isle of Man when I'm at the same level as it than someone on the top of Yr Wyddfa should be able to see the Alps, even though the latter is at a significantly greater distance, by a factor of 13.5.

And it is my point. I cannot see the Isle of Man on a flat earth, even though by every description of the flat earth and every claim by a flat earther, I should be able to, yet I cannot on a spherical earth because of the horizon.
I believe the video quoted a distance of 700 miles between Yr Wyddfa and the Alps. As far as the angular resolution is concerned, the peaks of the Alps exceed the height of the highest elevation on the Isle of Man by a significant factor. Also, the observer is on top of Yr Wyffa which also increases angular resolution. In any case, Yr Wyddfa should be within a reasonable driving distance of your location. If you have not already done so, check it out (on a clear day).

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I believe the video quoted a distance of 700 miles between Yr Wyddfa and the Alps. As far as the angular resolution is concerned, the peaks of the Alps exceed the height of the highest elevation on the Isle of Man by a significant factor. Also, the observer is on top of Yr Wyffa which also increases angular resolution. In any case, Yr Wyddfa should be within a reasonable driving distance of your location. If you have not already done so, check it out (on a clear day).

All you've done is present claims, with zero evidence to back them, and anything you claim as evidence is just other people making claims. You've presented nothing to show anything you've said is factual or correct.

Flat earth is bunk science and also just an insult to anyone with intelligence.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Akita Suggagaki

The real question is, why are we even trying to reason with flat Earth proponents?

... Why have you got your avatar in your post? Seems a bit redundant on this forum.

As for the other... I like to think that, for once, I will meet a flat earther who actually properly presents evidence, instead of either getting me to do their work for them or just have the use other people's claims as evidence.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.