MalachiLad

Jul 29, 2013
Sweden
✟7,699.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I often read on the internet things like: Masturbation is a sin, Masturbation can be a sin, Masturbation is not a sin. Both Catholics and Mormons condemn it and a friend of mine. I Think it is but i want a completely 100 % sure because the Bible does not clearly say.
The nearst Bible passages i now to Masturbation is:

Matthew 5:30
Genesis 38:8-10

Last edited:

Kurama

Believe in Humanity
Mar 25, 2013
✟17,730.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Indeed, as a Catholic I believe that masturbation is an inherent sin. Masturbation, homosexual acts, sodomy, bestiality, adultery...they're all in the same sinful camp. We regard Matrimony (marriage) as sacred, and thus see any sexual acts outside of marriage as gravely sinful. Sex should only be reserved for procreation and bonding, pleasure derives from these. Masturbation gives neither, it is simply a practise of quickly ''pleasuring'' one's self.

This view has been the same for the Church for almost 2000 years of its existence...once upon a time all Christians followed the same chastity laws of the Church but people have liberalised in regards to their needs and wants

However in order to help you identify with the issue at hand, I will provide the Protestant view:

The Bible does not explicitly state that masturbation is sinful. However Jesus said that by even by looking upon another individual lustfully, you have already committed adultery in your heart. Thus since masturbation generally involves fantasising about another person. That being said adultery only occurs when a married person commits a sexual act with someone other than their spouse...thus unless you're fantasising about a married person, masturbation is not an act of adultery.

Some Protestants still view masturbation as sinful, seeing it as a grave self-indulgence and sin of the flesh. However many liberal Protestants remain quite open to masturbation, stating that it lowers the likelihood of pre-marital sex and adultery. They also tend to support contraception and birth control, sadly they will then support abortion if the contraceptive fails.

Other than the Catholic view, there is no unified belief regarding masturbation. You are very welcome to accept the Church's view of masturbation, just like many conservative Protestants do.

I hope that my words have helped you. Please worship the Lord and follow His laws.

Upvote 0

MalachiLad

Jul 29, 2013
Sweden
✟7,699.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, as a Catholic I believe that masturbation is an inherent sin. Masturbation, homosexual acts, sodomy, bestiality, adultery...they're all in the same sinful camp. We regard Matrimony (marriage) as sacred, and thus see any sexual acts outside of marriage as gravely sinful. Sex should only be reserved for procreation and bonding, pleasure derives from these. Masturbation gives neither, it is simply a practise of quickly ''pleasuring'' one's self.

This view has been the same for the Church for almost 2000 years of its existence...once upon a time all Christians followed the same chastity laws of the Church but people have liberalised in regards to their needs and wants

However in order to help you identify with the issue at hand, I will provide the Protestant view:

The Bible does not explicitly state that masturbation is sinful. However Jesus said that by even by looking upon another individual lustfully, you have already committed adultery in your heart. Thus since masturbation generally involves fantasising about another person. That being said adultery only occurs when a married person commits a sexual act with someone other than their spouse...thus unless you're fantasising about a married person, masturbation is not an act of adultery.

Some Protestants still view masturbation as sinful, seeing it as a grave self-indulgence and sin of the flesh. However many liberal Protestants remain quite open to masturbation, stating that it lowers the likelihood of pre-marital sex and adultery. They also tend to support contraception and birth control, sadly they will then support abortion if the contraceptive fails.

Other than the Catholic view, there is no unified belief regarding masturbation. You are very welcome to accept the Church's view of masturbation, just like many conservative Protestants do.

I hope that my words have helped you. Please worship the Lord and follow His laws.

Thanks, i Think that masturbation is not good but dont know if it is a sin. :)

Upvote 0

Kurama

Believe in Humanity
Mar 25, 2013
✟17,730.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks, i Think that masturbation is not good but dont know if it is a sin. :)

It's good that you already identify masturbation as negative. Even if one is not religious, I'm sure people would see it as rather unnatural and unfulfilling. If masturbation were so great, why are most people too ashamed of admitting that they practice it?

Masturbation leaves a large amount of guilt on people because they only experience a tiny part of love and long for the rest. Thus in my opinion I view masturbation as very cruel, something that makes us taste only a little bit of what love can give us.

It is up to you whether you want to classify masturbation as a sin...remember that all Christians used to be against it, the Catholics weren't the only ones (well actually everyone was Catholic at the time). For example the Protestant Puritans actually executed people who masturbated (a little too Taliban for me :thumbsup: ).

I believe that masturbation is a sin and one should truly apologise to the Lord if they commit it.

Upvote 0

Charbel7

Jul 25, 2013
✟2,359.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Indeed, its just that i am afraid of going to hell if i touch and so.

Its sin, I've stopped half year ago After finding out it is.
It was hard to stop, But finally i stopped. Hope you will too.

Instead of doing it in your free time, Go do what is described on the pictures
:soccer::soccer5::scooter:

Good day :)

Upvote 0

Night Light

~ You Are Amazing ~
Jul 24, 2013
✟7,628.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In recent polls over 93% of all men touch and 71% of all women. Masturbation is considered healthy and natural by the majority of doctors in the world. Masturbation has been known in many cases to relieve stress, help with ED, lead to higher self worth, and help the body develop (not sure if they third one is true or not). Since God wants us to take care of our bodies, since masturbation is healthy, I do not see it as a sin. Everyone has a different view point though.

Upvote 0

Charbel7

Jul 25, 2013
✟2,359.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In recent polls over 93% of all men touch and 71% of all women. Masturbation is considered healthy and natural by the majority of doctors in the world. Masturbation has been known in many cases to relieve stress, help with ED, lead to higher self worth, and help the body develop (not sure if they third one is true or not). Since God wants us to take care of our bodies, since masturbation is healthy, I do not see it as a sin. Everyone has a different view point though.

So your saying sex isn't sin? You are super wrong. Google may help you a bit.

For people like you :
Let me google that for you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kurama

Believe in Humanity
Mar 25, 2013
✟17,730.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Masturbation could be the healthiest thing on earth...doesn't make it not sinful. Think about fasting...it is a symbol of penance and sacrifice, but it is unhealthy in the long term. We, as a generation, are so worried about our earthly safety...we never even question our salvation.

As a non-denominational Christian, you can pretty much create your own morals based on your personal image of Christ. You are not bound by tradition or authority, you may very well say that homosexuality, bestiality and murder are all fine.

Pray to God and follow His law.

Upvote 0

MalachiLad

Jul 29, 2013
Sweden
✟7,699.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
"I don't care what you can say to justify masturbation, if it was natural, why do you have to do it willingly? I mean, we blink, we don't even think about it, we just do it. So why do you have to go out of your way, into a private place, why not just do it in the front of your family"

I agree now that masturbation is a sin but i do not understand your argument. Most people do not shower, peeing, poop in front of their families but it is still normal.

Upvote 0

rijames99

Oct 31, 2013
✟15,325.00
Faith
Other Religion
THe fact of the matter is, the vast majority (like 99% of males and ?93% of females) touch. The reason the phrase "don't waste the seed" is in there is for reasons which are no longer valid today. Religon wanted more people. It makes the religon more powerful. The urge to have sex (being horny) is very natural. If a guy could satisfy that urge by masturbating, then he might be less likely to have sex with his wife and thereby not produce a child. (the concept of a woman being horny was not considered at that time).

Since there is no big movement to have more Christians born, in fact given the population problem, it might be better not to have many children, the reason for that restriction no longer exists.

Relax.

Upvote 0

Emmanuel18

Dec 12, 2013
kitwe , Zambia
✟7,686.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi MalachiLad masturbation is known as habitual sin with just the same as fornication which is totaly and clearly sin.. i had to carry out an online course and it ias really paid off if you see this give me a text and i will give you the link...
regards Mcwin Cj Emmanuel

Upvote 0

Movens

Feb 13, 2014
ilkley
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I personally don't think its a sin. If we are looking after ourselves , we are looking over gods creation. Also if we do not touch , our thoughs can be preoccupied, and not focused on helping others and worshipping god.

In moderate quantities it isn't a sin in my op.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ghag17

Mar 10, 2014
✟7,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
just to clear up some confusion, there was a study of how many men have EVER masturbated, and the statistic was about 95%. i think that is what some of the previously referenced percentages come from. the same study also gave a statistic for how many men touch on a regular basis, which was 75%. still high, but it makes a difference.

people say masturbation is a way to relieve our sex drive, but i found that it only increased mine. i had a much more difficult time resisting sexual desires when i had masturbated, versus when i didn't. the temptation to lust, along with other sexual temptations, was incredibly difficult to resist during this period in my life.
i also found that it affected my relationship with God in the same way as other sins in my life. i believe there are verses in the Bible about it, but i don't remember where to find them, so the only proof for my answer i can provide is personal experience, which isn't the most substantial proof for something.

Upvote 0

hotwater

Mar 16, 2014
✟160.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
I often read on the internet things like: Masturbation is a sin, Masturbation can be a sin, Masturbation is not a sin. Both Catholics and Mormons condemn it and a friend of mine. I Think it is but i want a completely 100 % sure because the Bible does not clearly say.
The nearst Bible passages i now to Masturbation is:

Matthew 5:30
Genesis 38:8-10

Yes, Masturbation and mutual masturbation are sins. Masturbation can lead to homosexuality.

A Jehovah's Witness

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2014
✟15,162.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Yes it is a sin, due to the lust and perversion of God's creation. I'm 20 years old..... I make it a point everyday to NOT LUST, but my flesh still gets comfortable and I become nullified. And my desires give birth to sin. I'm sorry Jesus!! Please extend grace and conviction upon me and others who have this problem!

Masturbation is(or can be) one of many examples of self-worship.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.