Is it dishonest to join a church if you don't agree with the denomination?

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Spirtual growth is essential, Hebrew chapter 5. It's increasing in the knowledge of Gods word. Fellowship is important. But not to compromise your values and beliefs. I'm sorry to say this. Many Christian people are spiritually dead. After 20 or 30 years, the Christian should be teachers of God's word. Get the picture.
In Corinthians chapter 3, Apostles Paul was teaching milk to the congregation. Because they were not ready for the meat of God's word. When person is away from Gods truth, its very difficult to reprogram them. A person can be so far gone, it's impossible to educate them.
Traditions of men and false doctrine poison people's minds. This is another obstacle to overcome. If the person is close minded, you can't Reprogram them.
Here is my suggestion. Shepherds chapel, pastor dennis murray. It's on YouTube. He teaches sound doctrine. And chapter by chapter. It's your choice what you do.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟145,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, I've started attending an Episcopal Church! It's the only church in my area that is physically close to where I live, has early in-person services, and has a good amount of outreach and opportunities to volunteer. The reason I go here, and actually want to stay, is not only because it's the only one I'd be able to attend for a couple months, but I also like the service (It's a low church), the fellowship, and the outreach within the community.

However, I don't agree with the Episcopal Church about a lot of things, and, if they didn't have the aspects that I really liked, I would likely stop attending when I no longer have to attend services very early in the morning, and when I move out of the area in around a year, I don't think I'm going to join an Episcopal Church in the area I move to. I would probably join one of the Baptist or Anabaptist churches in the area. However, there aren't any Baptist or Anabaptist churches nearby with early in-person services, or the outreach that this Episcopal Church has.

Is it dishonest to continue attending? I know at the end of the day, we are all Christians, and at the very least affirm the Nicene Creed, and I may just be being a little sectarian or something like that, but I just can't help feeling like I'm lying or being dishonest somehow. It's a very nice church, and the parishioners are all very nice, and I enjoy attending and worshipping with them, but I just have issues with the doctrine and stances of the Episcopal Church as a whole. Is this dishonest?

Thank you! God bless!
I go to a Church of Christ, it’s my wife’s Church and I don’t agree with everything they believe but I have no problem going there

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is my problem too. I absolutely CANNOT walk in a church that prohibits women from leadership roles no matter what the Bible says. The church I was saved at has two female pastors. Also, nobody can make me believe the universe was created in seven days or that Jesus would be a Republican. My church MUST, no matter what, accept the fact that Jesus would never treat girls and women like second class citizens to make his point that abortion is a sin because he said, "Do to others as you would have them do to you." I would not want a man to treat me like crap if I had an abortion! But some of my beliefs are 100% Baptist. (Don't worry, I do hate abortions. I just can't tolerate the ways women are treated as the enemy because they committed a deadly sin.)
Based on what you think the Bible actually says - how much of what it says should not be taught in church in your POV?

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find it near impossible to find a church where I believe all they teach, so I have been to multiple ones. I have found I have brothers and sisters in almost all of the churches.

Honestly - many churches have developed too much detail that's not necessary. I attended a Baptists church that is super huge on "Bible Alone" teaching. Yet their requirements for membership are no drinking alcohol at all, and you have to be a Dispensationalist, and believe creation was Six literal 24 hour days.

I attended the Catholic church, and miss the community there the most. They have the most "extra" doctrine, much of it not Biblical. I would go back for fellow ship, but not the clergy or it's teaching.

I believe Scripture is our highest authority. I believe the Nicene Creed sets great boundries for fellowship. I also believe the Didache does something similar - both are fairly simple and basic.

The Didache shows that certain morality is important too. I have learned I can give a lot of wiggle room on many "doctrines". I'm fine if you believe in tongues, or not, or if you are a Dispensationalist or not.

I can't compromise on the morality issues. We are born male or female, marriage is between a man and a woman, and life is sacred. If someplace teaches otherwise on those, I'm out.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0