Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People are falling away from faith at alarming rates.

One example is evident in a recent Gallup study, that stated, “[T]he percentage of adults who report regularly attending religious services remains low. Three in 10 Americans say they attend religious services every week (21%) or almost every week (9%), while 11% report attending about once a month and 56% seldom (25%) or never (31%) attend.”

Church decline over the last 40 years in the United States has prompted numerous explanations advanced by experts, pastors and church leaders, most of which are either wrong or, at best, incomplete.

The faith crisis facing churches and denominations nationwide was fueled by the collapse of the family at home.

Let me explain the severity of the problem. Research from The Marriage and Religion Research Initiative shows that most adults under 35 today were not raised in a household with married parents. In contrast, the 1970 US Census shows 40% of U.S. households were married with children under 18 living in the home. As of 2023, that number dropped to 17.9%.

This tragic collapse in marital love fuels a legion of other social ills — from shorter life spans to generational poverty to increased mental illness and the epidemic of loneliness.

Continued below.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd be interested to see more of what Communio (the organization advertised in the article) does. I couldn't tell a lot about them by looking at their website. I agree that I don't see many resources from the church to help us as we navigate marriage.

I'm a little wary, as I received some really bad marriage advice from the church and parachurch organizations as a teen and young adult. (Anyone remember Bill Gothard?) But that's been several decades ago, and it would be great if Communio is able to offer wise guidance to young couples in the church.

Upvote 0