United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello everyone,

I would like to share something about change. The "Y" is a variable for anything in general.

"If something different than Y is not Y. Then Y cannot become something different, because then something different is Y. Thus Y cannot change."
Change requires time.
God, being Eternal, is outside and is unaffected by, time.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,953,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello everyone,

I would like to share something about change. The "Y" is a variable for anything in general.

"If something different than Y is not Y. Then Y cannot become something different, because then something different is Y. Thus Y cannot change."

In a world where Y is a variable for anything in general, then there is no such thing as something different than Y.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟876,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone,

That sounds like Parmenides' notion that all reality is one being, and change is just an appearance not the reality of the one. Parmenides had an ontological commitment to monism. Spinoza did as well, but I can't remember if he ever argues that change is a mere appearance.

Reactions: Farid7
Upvote 0

Farid7

Sep 12, 2023
Salt Lake City
✟11,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Take Y to be my weight. If my weight changes, Y is ... no longer my weight? Huh?

According to the first post, your weight cannot change.
If Y stands for your car's speed (and it is non zero), then even if Y is constant, your car's position is constantly changing.

Yes, true. But, according to the first post, your car's position cannot change.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟379,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Suppose Y is a lump of pure iron ( Fe.) It’s left outside exposed to the environment. After a while, it reacts with oxygen and water vapor and becomes rust (Fe2O3 ) Y has changed into a completely different substance.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟158,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Suppose Y is a lump of pure iron ( Fe.) It’s left outside exposed to the environment. After a while, it reacts with oxygen and water vapor and becomes rust (Fe2O3 ) Y has changed into a completely different substance.
Iron consists of 4 isotopes each with different atomic weights. separate each are different substances that combine to form iron. And because of the 4 isotopes iron can vary.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟248,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Restated for clarity:

If <something different than Y> is not <Y>, then <Y> cannot become <something different than Y>, because then <something different than Y> is <Y>. Therefore Y cannot change.

Reactions: Farid7
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟314,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Iron consists of 4 isotopes each with different atomic weights. separate each are different substances that combine to form iron. And because of the 4 isotopes iron can vary.

Each isotope of iron is iron. Any isotopic mixture of iron is also iron. What makes iron iron is the electron configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟158,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Each isotope of iron is iron. Any isotopic mixture of iron is also iron. What makes iron iron is the electron configuration.
One of the isotopes 56fe has different ranges depending on its location around earth. The third lowest amount of the 4 isotopes that constitutes iron, if I'm not mistaken 58fe is the least abundant isotope.

Dissolved δ56Fe ranges from −0.13 to +0.21 ± 0.08‰ in the Southeastern Atlantic (8), from −1.35 ± 0.03‰ to +0.80 ± 0.06‰ in the North Atlantic (4, 11), and from −0.03 ± 0.07‰ to +0.58 ± 0.08‰ in the Equatorial Pacific

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟379,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One of the isotopes 56fe has different ranges depending on its location around earth. The third lowest amount of the 4 isotopes that constitutes iron, if I'm not mistaken 58fe is the least abundant isotope.

Dissolved δ56Fe ranges from −0.13 to +0.21 ± 0.08‰ in the Southeastern Atlantic (8), from −1.35 ± 0.03‰ to +0.80 ± 0.06‰ in the North Atlantic (4, 11), and from −0.03 ± 0.07‰ to +0.58 ± 0.08‰ in the Equatorial Pacific
This is getting off-topic. It's my understanding that Fe-56 is the most abundant iron isotope. In living organisms (marine invertebrates and arthropods excepted) it's the oxygen carrier found in hemoglobin. It's also in myoglobin and is stored in liver cells.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟314,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I could look it up, but this is almost certainly wrong. Fe56 is certainly the most abundant iron isotope. Fe58 should be the second most abundant of the iron isotopes. Fe56-59 are stable and there is a trace of Fe60 (million year half life) replenished from space dust.

Generally speaking nuclei are more bound if either the proton number or neutron number is even due to quantum mechanical pairing. Iron has 26 protons, so the even numbered isotopes of iron are more stable. The same principle leads to even-even isotopes being common in production. (This is the same reason iron is more common than cobalt or manganese

Upvote 0