Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
From Merriam-Webster
Definition of religion

1 a: the state of a religious a nun in her 20th year of religion
b(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural
(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Though some forms of Buddhism require faith most Buddhists I know approach it as a philosophy and way of life like Stoicism. No faith needed in anything supernatural. It all seems to be about seeing reality clearly with mindfulness and compassion.

With an approach like that there does not need to be conflict with Christian beleif.
Buddhism is supposedly a philosophy, not a religion. May be so in the Western world. I travelled extensively in SE Asia. Buddhism is very much a religion to most of the people I met.

Christianity is not Buddhism. Christians know that they are sinners in need of a Saviour. Not so with Buddhists. Christians depend on Christ as their life (or should do), not on their own inner resources. Christians realise that their own ways are not acceptable to God and instead depend on Lord Jesus. All religion focuses on the individual and demands that he/she conforms to a set of rules. Christianity is not a religion (although some make it so). It is a relationship with God through Christ.

• Haha
Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It may be widely believed but that doesn't make it true. Buddhists believe in reality every bit as much as Christians, it's just a different kind of reality. Buddha would not have bothered to devise a sophisticated explanation of the causes of suffering and it's cessation if it was all an illusion. Just try dropping a hammer on your foot and you will know that suffering exists. But it's dependent on you dropping the hammer. Buddha taught how not to do that.
Bummer. If it depends on fallen humanity, it's game over. Everyone "drops a hammer" sometime. That makes us sinners and unfit for heaven. Buddha is dead. I've been to his grave site.

Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟594,654.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
From Merriam-Webster
Definition of religion

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

Though some forms of Buddhism require faith most Buddhists I know approach it as a philosophy and way of life like Stoicism. No faith needed in anything supernatural. It all seems to be about seeing reality clearly with mindfulness and compassion.

With an approach like that there does not need to be conflict with Christian beleif.

Some Buddhist varieties are religions but the original teachings of Buddha were areligious.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Bummer. If it depends on fallen humanity, it's game over. Everyone "drops a hammer" sometime. That makes us sinners and unfit for heaven. Buddha is dead. I've been to his grave site.
How is that relevant? We don't see things in terms of "sin" but rather "unskillfulness", nor do we see "heaven" as the final goal, and physical death is not the most prominent issue for us.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟287,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"faith" (Christian belief) by definition does not involve "seeing reality clearly"
In many way maybe not but it is a matter of pinion.

It comes down to what reality is. Is it an abstract impersonal experience? Or is it a personal loving being? That seems to me to be the key difference. So it is metaphysical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
In many way maybe not but it is a matter of pinion.

It comes down to what reality is. Is it an abstract impersonal experience? Or is it a personal loving being? That seems to me to be the key difference. So it is metaphysical.
As a Buddhist, I would question if one clearly perceive the full reality of that personal loving being

Upvote 0

Calixtinus

Oct 29, 2020
Queensland
✟9,634.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
From what I know of it I would consider Buddhism (especially Mahayana and Vajrayana) a religion. And while the religious aspect of Buddhism is often downplayed significantly in the western world it nonetheless still rests on metaphysical assumptions about reality which are in my view incompatible with Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From Merriam-Webster
Definition of religion

Tbh, I too have some Buddhist tendencies. I own a pocket Dhammapada.

I don't think I'm a conservative Christian honestly. I've been known to challenge the ideas of that type of belief. It seems all regurgitated mostly.

I'm not on here often enough to try to change my name.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟287,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From what I know of it I would consider Buddhism (especially Mahayana and Vajrayana) a religion. And while the religious aspect of Buddhism is often downplayed significantly in the western world it nonetheless still rests on metaphysical assumptions about reality which are in my view incompatible with Christianity.
I am coming to agree.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟287,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see a reason to question it, because it is something I do experience for myself.
But then you still have to question who is the "myself" having the experience. Isn't that kind of question a significant aspect of Buddhism?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟287,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems all regurgitated mostly.
This is my main hesitancy with Christianity. So much depends on faith that is handed to us and so little depends on personal experience. In fact, personal experience always seems suspect in Christianity, especially if it does not seem to agree perfectly with the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
But then you still have to question who is the "myself" having the experience. Isn't that kind of question a significant aspect of Buddhism?
No ... at least not in Theravada Buddhism.

Questions about "who is myself?" only leads to agitation and frustration, since 1. it is an unanswerable question, and 2. the results of an investigation into this question is obviously fundamentally opposed to our goal of nibbana.

Rather, our practice is ultimately an examination into each of our experiences, and then to know & understand that those experiences are not "self", since they are subject to change and are not under "our" control. This leads towards detachment, freedom, and the peace and happiness of nibbana.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One could possibly be both Christian and Buddhist; however, either their Buddhism will be somewhat anemic or their Christianity will be somewhat anemic. It is not possible to robustly embrace the metaphysics of both. The same holds for Christianity and Stoicism. Something will have to give, and invariably it will be the metaphysical presuppositions of one or the other.

That being said, I do think that some of the practices of Bhuddism or Stoicism can appropriate by a Christian, so long as the metaphysical grounding of Christianity remains intact. Otherwise, it's neither one or the other, but an amalgamation.

Funny you should say that. I had some past background / involvement in a group that came from the (Nestorian) Church of the East, now called the Assyrian Church of the East. Anyway that Church was in Asia and popular for a few different centuries in different parts of China, India, and so on. There are some serious theories that some eastern rituals like the Japanese Tea Ceremony came from the COE Eucharist when the church was driven underground. Their are some rubrics like turning the tea cup three times that are identical to the COE eucharist. OF course in years gone by, I have seen some flaws in those theories like Chinese inscription grave stones and other stone writings of the COE were things that were not originally in Japan, but moved their later (Certain Japanese emperors were Chinaphiles and would import cultural artifacts for their own enrichment).

There have been some specific other kind of sects like the Taoist, "teachers of the teacher", and Amida Buddha that were thought to be Christian inspired, or even descending from Christians who went underground so to speak.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟859,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Buddhism with Christian overlay? Well the essence of Buddhism, from what I know, is the "The Four Noble Truths"
They are the truth of suffering,
the truth of the cause of suffering,
the truth of the end of suffering,
and the truth of the path that leads to the end of suffering.

1. RIGHT VIEW
A true understanding of how reality and suffering are intertwined.

2. RIGHT RESOLVE
The aspiration to act with correct intention, doing no harm.

3. RIGHT SPEECH
Abstaining from lying, and divisive or abusive speech.

4. RIGHT ACTION
Acting in ways that do not cause harm, such as not taking life, not stealing, and not engaging in sexual misconduct.

5. RIGHT LIVELIHOOD
Making an ethically sound living, being honest in business dealings.

6. RIGHT EFFORT
Endeavoring to give rise to skillful thoughts, words, and deeds and renouncing unskillful ones.

7. RIGHT MINDFULNESS
Being mindful of one’s body, feelings, mind, and mental qualities.

8. RIGHT CONCENTRATION
Practicing skillful meditation informed by all of the preceding seven aspects.

Is there incompatibility with Christianity there?
non-religious Buddhism is existentialism. In my experience existentialist are not looking for God and would rather define the purpose of life without God and then do good because they think it matters. Existentialists look at the good as the goal where Christians see the good as a product of the goal, the goal, however, is restored relationship with God.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟422,019.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In my experience existentialist are not looking for God and would rather define the purpose of life without God and then do good because they think it matters. Existentialists look at the good as the goal where Christians see the good as a product of the goal, the goal, however, is restored relationship with God.

I don't think that is a fair assessment of existentialism, and I suggest that Immanuel Kant would not see it that way either. In reality most Theologians of the past 150 years have been deeply influenced by existentialism if not simply existentialist.

When you look at the Divine answer to Moses question before the fiery bush we see something of God's assertion of of God's existential eternity in ways to hard to enunciate beyond the tetragrammaton, and then when we reflect that we are made in his image, perhaps we were always going to end up here.

who knows?!

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,966.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
From Merriam-Webster
Definition of religion

yes. just based on the 2nd definition. It's nontheistic though but none the less a religious form of ideology. I do like a lot of their philosophies but I don't believe in most of their superstitions.

Upvote 0